What cause the "insecure element" when running Google Wallet?

shanimal92

Reaction score
I was reading some threads and someone was saying that they had replace their phone because they kept getting "insecure element" when booting up Google Wallet. What causes this? I really like the idea of Wallet and i want to use it in the future so i would like to know what NOT to do so i can continue using it.
EDIT: its called "secure element has stopped responding"

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't have a link but there was an article written about the fact that the transactions are secure but someone can read so much other personal information that they can get to you in other ways.

In other words they can read the last 4 digits of your card, get your bday, etc...

scdown

Reaction score
I was reading some threads and someone was saying that they had replace their phone because they kept getting "insecure element" when booting up Google Wallet. What causes this? I really like the idea of Wallet and i want to use it in the future so i would like to know what NOT to do so i can continue using it.
EDIT: its called "secure element has stopped responding"

Did you swap batteries after setting it up? There's a pairing between the software and the NFC antenna (which apparently is in the battery). The Google wallet support pages suggest you'll have a less than great experience if you swap batteries.

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Did you swap batteries after setting it up? There's a pairing between the software and the NFC antenna (which apparently is in the battery). The Google wallet support pages suggest you'll have a less than great experience if you swap batteries.

holy crap...really? That sucks. I just bought a charger pack and spare battery. I guess I will have to turn off nfc if I swap batteries? Just keep it on the one?

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
I don't have a link but there was an article written about the fact that the transactions are secure but someone can read so much other personal information that they can get to you in other ways.

In other words they can read the last 4 digits of your card, get your bday, etc...

I don't see what information they can get to if all you are using is the Google prepaid card... i mean, i don't have a City MC so i'll keep loading the prepaid card, is there any information they can get through that?

prowler85

Reaction score
I don't see what information they can get to if all you are using is the Google prepaid card... i mean, i don't have a City MC so i'll keep loading the prepaid card, is there any information they can get through that?

From what I've read, they can get the last four of your pre-paid card (not sure about the card that is topping the pre-paid card, but wouldn't doubt they could get the last 4 of those as well), and tidbits of the info you entered to link the two. When I read the article (sorry don't have a link, it was a few weeks ago), all of the info they could get was meaningless - they could get it off the internet if they wanted to. Even the last four of the card - doesn't do them any good. And the fact that it is a topped up card means it will never have very much on it, not to mention everyone and their brother has fraud protection. So personally I'm not worried at all.

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

well...not so sure thats exactly what the article says. If you look further into the subject. The NFC chip itself is located inside the phone. The battery only houses an antenna. So...not so sure changing antennas will disable the nfc. At least I have not tried it.

see the teardown thread. Step 5 and Step 11. The NXF component. http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Samsung-Galaxy-Nexus-Teardown/7182/2

Im curious to put this to the test, but I have already exchanged my phone once due to overheating and battery drain. Would not be easy for me to explain how the nfc element insecure notification would warrant me another replacement. If it was my first phone...sure...id do it w/o hesitation.

Will follow this more closely...because I have a spare battery.

Also, this article doesnt specify swapping "samsung nfc" battery for another "samsung nfc" battery....it eludes to the idea of swapping the nfc samsung battery with a generic battery...which may not house the antenna.

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
That's what i thought.. i don't see my self using this as my only wallet anyway but its nice at a drive through, or when you run it to get something at a gas station and forget your wallet in the car..

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
From what I've read, they can get the last four of your pre-paid card (not sure about the card that is topping the pre-paid card, but wouldn't doubt they could get the last 4 of those as well), and tidbits of the info you entered to link the two. When I read the article (sorry don't have a link, it was a few weeks ago), all of the info they could get was meaningless - they could get it off the internet if they wanted to. Even the last four of the card - doesn't do them any good. And the fact that it is a topped up card means it will never have very much on it, not to mention everyone and their brother has fraud protection. So personally I'm not worried at all.

qft...Im not worried either.

I will say this though...kinda off topic but.....nice little story.

1st galaxy nex. Activated gwallet...reloaded the gift card with 30 bucks. Had to return the nexus for a replacement.

2nd nex. Activated Gwallet...got another 10 dollar gift card. The 30 bucks I had reloaded to a previous card was not to be found in my app. I had to call google customer service. They had to verify my identity and get the reload transaction reciept number from the confirmation email...and it takes 24-72 hours to add the 30 to my 10 dollar current one.

Good thing was...google ended up giving me 2 10 dollar gift cards. So...id only be losing about 10-15 bucks. They said that was fine with them. Keep the 10! Google is awesome.

Just be aware that if you recharge a card....keep your transaction reciepts in emails. If your phone takes a dump on you...and you get a replacement...you will lose your money. (or at least have to go through this same process I did)

pchakmak

Reaction score
qft...Im not worried either.

I will say this though...kinda off topic but.....nice little story.

1st galaxy nex. Activated gwallet...reloaded the gift card with 30 bucks. Had to return the nexus for a replacement.

2nd nex. Activated Gwallet...got another 10 dollar gift card. The 30 bucks I had reloaded to a previous card was not to be found in my app. I had to call google customer service. They had to verify my identity and get the reload transaction reciept number from the confirmation email...and it takes 24-72 hours to add the 30 to my 10 dollar current one.

Good thing was...google ended up giving me 2 10 dollar gift cards. So...id only be losing about 10-15 bucks. They said that was fine with them. Keep the 10! Google is awesome.

Just be aware that if you recharge a card....keep your transaction reciepts in emails. If your phone takes a dump on you...and you get a replacement...you will lose your money. (or at least have to go through this same process I did)

What happened to ur Gnex for it to crap out? Something with Google wallet??

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
What happened to ur Gnex for it to crap out? Something with Google wallet??

not related to gwallet. Im not sure what it was. Software issue Im guessing. I checked all apps and running processes...nothing unusual. It just got hot and sucked battery down. Couldve been the battery itself I suppose. Maybe it had a discharge issue that was causing overheating and drain.

Ive been using google wallet on the new phone too...no probs. Unlocked and rooted as soon as I got it home. Restored all my apps. Used wallet this morning

pchakmak

Reaction score
not related to gwallet. Im not sure what it was. Software issue Im guessing. I checked all apps and running processes...nothing unusual. It just got hot and sucked battery down. Couldve been the battery itself I suppose. Maybe it had a discharge issue that was causing overheating and drain.

Ive been using google wallet on the new phone too...no probs. Unlocked and rooted as soon as I got it home. Restored all my apps. Used wallet this morning

I posted this in another Wallet thread and no one got back to me:

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by captdroid
hmmm... bummer... interesting read here: Install Google Wallet on the LTE Galaxy Nexus from Verizon | 9to5Google | Beyond Good and Evil

My question: Is this where you got the file to download? I'm going to install via astro but obviously warns of installing something that is not from the market? This is obviously legit right? I'm always a little hesitant...

ryguy5254

Reaction score
I replaced my battery with the extended version and I didn't have a problem with GWallet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I posted this in another Wallet thread and no one got back to me:

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by captdroid
hmmm... bummer... interesting read here: Install Google Wallet on the LTE Galaxy Nexus from Verizon | 9to5Google | Beyond Good and Evil

My question: Is this where you got the file to download? I'm going to install via astro but obviously warns of installing something that is not from the market? This is obviously legit right? I'm always a little hesitant...

Got it from here. Yes...you will have to check unknown sources. Google gifts you 10 bucks...so try it out...don't feel safe after that...uninstall it

http://db.tt/O9Rhi7gM

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums