What Can I Safely Get Back?

neccoguy21

Reaction score
I've got too many apps and too much memory being slammed and too much corrupted data from all the crap i've been doing to my poor phone. I need a clean restart. I know were to get all the info for that, I've even got my own back up i'd be comfortable with going back to (it was my first back up as soon as my rooting was accomplished). I'm still hazy though on what I'll be able to safely get back (such as data, settings, apps, and the like).

I know there's no way this many people do factory restores almost every day if they couldn't easily get back at least their apps, or something telling them what their apps were and doing a mega long reinstall of each one individually (not so fun) or some recovered settings or something. the small amount of knowledge i have on this stuff makes me think I can only do a full wipe and start from scratch, or use a back up nandroid thing or clockwork it, which would essentially keep the whole phone in the same condition (or so i think, please correct me if im wrong!).

So please, to clear out my phone (moto droid), I need to know what I'll be able to recover, what I wont, and the correct way to go about it. Thank you!

*EDIT* After going through other threads for a minute it made me think about the amount of roms i've gone through, if i did a wipe before some, and not before others... Does having this many roms or update.zips or whatever cause issues as well? my latest theme and rom all worked great for a while, just recently is it slowing down, which is what made me think apps and data in the first place. another thing i noticed was the amount of launchers i have. the original home, the rooted home, helix 1 and 2, (was there another?), but the only one i want to use is GDE. right now its deffinately my favorite, so i dont want helix and all the others taking up space, or more importantly memory

Last edited:

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Are you asking about backing up only your apps?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
What makes you think you have corrupted data?
To me it sounds like you need to just go through and delete what you don't use anymore. You can start all over and save your apps and data with titanium backup. TI backup will save your apps data and settings then you can go back to just rooted and restore what you want.

OP
neccoguy21

neccoguy21

Reaction score
that i can do. if i wanted to start from scratch and only get my apps back i could reboot my phone to the stock back up, and use my titanium backups to only load apps, instead of apps and data. Now after saying that, I don't really know what it means. lol. I want to get as much of my settings and things like back as possible. maybe a way to pick which apps to get back? that way im more likely to just not install some in the first place, which is alot easier for me than unistalling (i feel like i would need 10 seconds later if i did, even though ive got some i downloaded day 1 and still havent used)

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Just looked and you can install Apps organizer to work in conjunction with titanium backup to filter what you want.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
since you have a nandroid backup, try using Titanium to back up your apps and settings, then check only those you want to reinstall in batch

OP
neccoguy21

neccoguy21

Reaction score
What makes you think you have corrupted data?
To me it sounds like you need to just go through and delete what you don't use anymore. You can start all over and save your apps and data with titanium backup. TI backup will save your apps data and settings then you can go back to just rooted and restore what you want.

I guess this is where im kinda confused. im under the impression that if i restore data as well that whatever weird problems im having will still be there, such as my led light not notifying me for ANYTHING except low battery, and yes, i know about the screen needing to be off for notifications. I also have issues with alot of widgets working, such as beautiful widgets, even tho they used to work just fine. and other little things here and there (random slow downs, to the point where i just forget about what i was about to do and just leave it alone for a minute, and come back to it., or random settings in random apps just not sticking, no matter what i do. the home screen auto rotating even tho i have it set not to. Being able to have 5 columns of apps instead of 4, but that does nothing either) yes, i have done alot of different roms and launchers and what not, so i see compatibility being an issue. But when i started using jrummy cyanogenmod remix and GDE home launcher, everything worked really well (aside from the led not working which is what makes me think i set a setting wrong somewhere, in some app, and i'll never be able to remember where, or what). beautiful widgets worked, apps worked. Just recently is when I started having weird issues (when all ive really done is install a couple more apps, remove a couple apps i didn't use anymore, and install a couple updates for apps)

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Could be some app conflicts. Try cleaning things up and getting rid of what you don't use. Maybe get rid of some old roms still on your phone. If you have a ton of backups get rid of a few, not all. Always good to have a few to fall back on.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
neccoguy21

neccoguy21

Reaction score
Just looked and you can install Apps organizer to work in conjunction with titanium backup to filter what you want.

Where did you find this info? i have both, but dont know what to do with them.

since you have a nandroid backup, try using Titanium to back up your apps and settings, then check only those you want to reinstall in batch

Not sure how to do this either. well, properly anyway.

Could be some app conflicts. Try cleaning things up and getting rid of what you don't use. Maybe get rid of some old roms still on your phone. If you have a ton of backups get rid of a few, not all. Always good to have a few to fall back on.

This is what i feel will do the most good, along with just deleting some crap. But (again, sorry) don't know how to do it. Ever since the existence of computers ive been afraid of just deleting files. i worry that what ever problem their causing is going to remain. hell, that most of the app, or program, or whatever will still be there, just now without the proper files to correctly get rid of it. Please help me get this crap cleared off my phone with out me having to reboot to out-of-the-box and loose my system settings and all that. THANKS YOU GUYS FOR GIVING ME THE TIME OF DAY!!! I apparently have issues with describing what i mean. alot of threads have trailed off into nothingness due to my ability to bounce all over the board

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
What specifically do you want saved? From this we can plan how to go about the rest.

OP
neccoguy21

neccoguy21

Reaction score
What specifically do you want saved? From this we can plan how to go about the rest.

I guess i dont really know... I want to avoid as little change as possible, like keeping the current rom, theme, and home launcher (GDE). I also want to avoid losing things like the notes ive written down, or the places ive navigated to google maps. and I ESPECIALLY dont want to lose all the songs i have tagged through Sound Hound and Shazaam.
I would say I want to keep my settings in tact (so i dont have to go through everything again to tell it what to do when, notifications and all) but I guess those are mostly in the apps right? meaning how i get notified is set through the gmail app, right?
I guess what i'd like to know is if theres a way to tell my phone once im doing all this cleaning up "Yes, i want to keep google maps, and yes i want you to remember where i went. Yes I want you to keep Handcent and all my conversations. Yes I want you to keep Flip N Shake Pro, but no i dont want you to remember anything about it just in case some option i clicked is causing a problem. No dont keep that stupid game and dont remember anything about it" (i still have a folder buried somewhere in my sd card holding the scores to some game i erased a long time ago.) What I'd really like to tell my phone is "Yes I want you to keep all my custom stuff, but make all the crap that started slowing it down 3 days ago go away" (that last bit was a joke, btw)

Does this help or am i too broad again? i can never get through my head that sometimes less information is more.

Last edited:

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
It'll take some time but in titanium backup backup the apps you want to save anything, clean out your sdcard then do a factory data reset. Not ideal but will be your best bet. Also after you do your backup verify it to make sure it works.

OP
neccoguy21

neccoguy21

Reaction score
It'll take some time but in titanium backup backup the apps you want to save anything, clean out your sdcard then do a factory data reset. Not ideal but will be your best bet. Also after you do your backup verify it to make sure it works.

Ok. Questions about this process:

1. Will that remove all the roms i have in place? (which is ok)

2. will it remove the apps i dont want info saved from? or can i still save some apps and make it so its like the first time i ever opened it?

3. what do you mean by "clean out your sdcard then do a factory data reset". Completely reformat it and wipe it like its brand new? ive never used this phone without the sd card, so im under the impression that important info is in there. (i wouldn't know how to recover the titanium back up that i just did, if i just cleard my sd card)

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Roms are saved on your sdcard, so you can delete what you want. By clean up your sdcard just go through and delete things you know you don't need. When you backup your apps, just backup the ones you need to keep the info on. When you do the factory data reset and log back into google your apps will be in market under downloads. So the ones you just want the app just reinstall.

OP
neccoguy21

neccoguy21

Reaction score
Roms are saved on your sdcard, so you can delete what you want. By clean up your sdcard just go through and delete things you know you don't need. When you backup your apps, just backup the ones you need to keep the info on. When you do the factory data reset and log back into google your apps will be in market under downloads. So the ones you just want the app just reinstall.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!

This helped me understand so much! I already knew how to operate the apps we talked about, but I didn't know how to use them properly. You explained simply out how to clean up the droid without it being a set of instructions on installing another app, or a specific Rom. It was too difficult to try to piece together all the correct information from all the different threads that described more specific issues.

Maybe many other people may have the same issue and questions i did? Maybe sticky?

Last edited: