What a mess

CheathamHill

Reaction score
4pm..phone froze...could not power off or do anything...did a battery pull...phone came back on...however I got a new symbol at the top I had never seen before...

"Damaged" SD card....can't be good I'm thinking..

I do further investigation...

All pictures, videos, music, games, etc etc etc from the last 3 years are all gone. All of it. I had it backed up on a laptop but the laptop crashed as well 2 weeks ago..

I'm at a loss for words.

What is causing these freezes that I get almost every other day?

Why would this phone destroy my SD card like that...

Also when calling my wife there was no option to hang up...it was just on the home screen and flashing green on the top bar ( I guess to show me it's in a call)..however it didn't end until her voicemail 'timer' hung up on me first..

Again, I am at a complete loss..and so very upset about this SD card issue..as well as the other problems listed..

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
4pm..phone froze...could not power off or do anything...did a battery pull...phone came back on...however I got a new symbol at the top I had never seen before...

All pictures, videos, music, games, etc etc etc from the last 3 years are all gone. All of it. I had it backed up on a laptop but the laptop crashed as well 2 weeks ago..

I'm at a loss for words.

Also when calling my wife there was no option to hang up...it was just on the home screen and flashing green on the top bar ( I guess to show me it's in a call)..however it didn't end until her voicemail 'timer' hung up on me first..

Again, I am at a complete loss..and so very upset about this SD card issue..as well as the other problems listed..

Sorry to hear about the loss of photos, etc. I take it you don't have a back up drive on your computer.

Cold it be a corrupted file from the computer corrupted your SD card?

Since your SD card is bad you may just want to take it back to Verizon while you are still on your 30 days and get a brand new Droid 2. Again sorry to hear about that happening to you.

OP
C

CheathamHill

Reaction score

I'm at a loss for words.

Sorry to hear about the loss of photos, etc. I take it you don't have a back up drive on your computer.

Cold it be a corrupted file from the computer corrupted your SD card?

Since your SD card is bad you may just want to take it back to Verizon while you are still on your 30 days and get a brand new Droid 2. Again sorry to hear about that happening to you.

Hey Bill, I made it a point to backup all the files onto my laptop before switching over from the blackberry to the D2 the day it was released a few weeks ago...unfortunately..the laptop crashed 3 days later...so I guess everything is gone. Stupid me...
I'm just hoping that if I put it in a card reader the files will still be there..but when I hook the phone up to my work computer it doesn't recognize there being an SD card in there...same as when I try to put the card in my wife's bberry...

I took it by verizon yesterday as soon as it happened..and the rep basically said "that sucks man...reformat the card and it should be good to go...sucks about your pics, etc though"

so, AS USUALLY, they were less than worthless...

maxnicks

Reaction score
4pm..phone froze...could not power off or do anything...did a battery pull...phone came back on...

Have you tried reading your SD card in an external SD card reader? There's also quite a few software packages to do data recovery of your SD card. Just google "sd data recovery software." Worst case scenario, if you still have your hard drive from the crashed computer, you can do your own data recovery. There's also plenty of firms who will do it for you.

What I do with my 10+ years of photos:
1. Stored on 2 separate computers
2. Burn to CD/DVD
3. Upload to Smugmug - costs me $30 a year i think
4. Upload to Picasa - i believe i pay $5 per year for 20 gig

smileimjosh

Reaction score
Yo homie if you want your photos and stuff bad take the hard drive out of your laptop and take it to someplace and have them try and strip the files out of it. Or try booting it from another computer and see if that works?

scottrwood

Reaction score
Did you use the same SD card from your Blackberry? If you didn't reformat it before use on the Droid, you probably have an issue. Blackberry has unique files and file extensions that cannot be read by non-Blackberry platforms.

wkearney99

Reaction score
Flash memory cards do not last forever. I don't know if it's an issue with the droid, but not all flash cards are created equal. Some are a lot slower than others. Don't know if the droid cares about this or not. But I know my canon camcorder will wreck an SD card if it's not a class-6 or better SDHC.

You know this now, but it's a really bad practice to not have *multiple* backups of data that you value. For pictures I like the ability in Picasa to make a 'gift CD'. Once I month I burn a CD of any new pictures and send it by mail to the in-laws (most of the pix are of their 2 year old grandson anyway). That way I have an off-site backup.