Weird Icon on Samsung Fascinate

jab3884

Reaction score
I have this weird icon that popped up on my notificaton bar on Tuesday and have been trying to figure out what it was. I don't know whether it is an App Icon or what. It's going to be hard to explain what it looks like but here goes; it looks like a diamond with a cross in the middle and ))) coming off the right side. I've tried everything, thought it might be something with roaming but it isnt. Thought it may have something to do with gps, it's not so any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

UNC

Reaction score
Take a screenshot.
Or a picture of your screen if you're not rooted.
Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Sele

T-Bolt RS Team Leader
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That is the location icon. It shows up when gps or the location services are turned on. It is part of the new updated software. No way to get rid of it that I know of.

GDP

Reaction score
It's Your location settings. It means you have it on. This icon appeared after the latest update

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

OP
J

jab3884

Reaction score
Thanks, it just appeared last week and I had never seen it before. BTW, what is rooting?

Sele

T-Bolt RS Team Leader
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Rooting is the process of giving yourself superuser access to the file system of the phone. It is kinda like running windows in "administrator" mode, allowing you to remove files (bloatware) or install programs that access the core of the operating system that Verizon or Samsung has deemed off limits.

RPXXPR

Reaction score
I'm glad I finally know what it is... I don't like it though. I know how to root my phone, however I don't want to void the warranty. HOWEVER, Their is a Screen Capture app that is awesome that works on the Samsung Fascinate WITHOUT being rooted (having superuser access) the name is Screenshot it. you can even crop the image, ALOT of sweet options.

Sele

T-Bolt RS Team Leader
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Try ShootMe. Free in the market. I believe it works on the fascinate without being rooted.

ScoobyDoo27

Reaction score
Try ShootMe. Free in the market. I believe it works on the fascinate without being rooted.

Yeah ShootMe works just fine on my non-rooted Fascinate. Why is that it doesn't need to be rooted to work on the Fascinate?

Sele

T-Bolt RS Team Leader
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm not sure why it works, but I did remember reading that it worked on the Galaxy S phones without root.