Weird status icon

Chris.Nelson

Reaction score
I'm traveling in Taiwan and have a weird icon on my status bar that's not listed on http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-faq/745-droid-phone-status-notifications.html.

The left side has a white exclamation point in a black triangle but when I try to look at the message, the preview says something about data roaming but when I tap the message, the status screen closes right away. I don't know what that's about but I don't care so much because I don't want to do data roaming.

But on the right I have a hollow black triangle that I can't find any explanation of. Then four bars of cell connection and the batter indicator.

And I don't get a WiFi indicator, even when connected.

What's the hollow black triangle?

Last edited:

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
You running any themes? Also, is the icon on the left alway there or when you're plugged into pc??

Last edited:

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's the debug notification, it happens when you have your phone plugged into your PC and you have USB Debugging enabled.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Do you have a notification associated with it? I dont know of an app that puts an icon in the top left without telling you what it means in the pulldown notification screen.

OP
C

Chris.Nelson

Reaction score
Do you have a notification associated with it? I dont know of an app that puts an icon in the top left without telling you what it means in the pulldown notification screen.

The message says

Data Roaming
You have lost data connectivity because y
then a half-grey "o". When I tap the message, the status drop down closes.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Did you Google the message? I get a ton or results about needing to reprovision your phone. Dial *228 option 2.

Otherwise, take it to VZW.

OP
C

Chris.Nelson

Reaction score
Did you Google the message? I get a ton or results about needing to reprovision your phone. Dial *228 option 2.

I don't want to do data roaming so I'm not too concerned about that message. I intended this thread to find out what the hollow triangle on the right was.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score

I don't want to do data roaming so I'm not too concerned about that message. I intended this thread to find out what the hollow triangle on the right was.

Umm.... OK.

will.anaya

Reaction score

i get the same message when i am travelling from san antonio to del rio, uvalde, eagle pass, or mcAllen

i get it when i am using my gps but for a few dozen miles i lose my data connection because verizon's 3G does not stretch that far.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Well does your phone work? Since you are in taiwan I am surprised if it does. Droid is not a GSM phone so might have something to do with roaming and not being able to find a CDMA signal.

OP
C

Chris.Nelson

Reaction score
Well does your phone work? ...

As a phone? I don't know. I don't want to pay roaming charges. I have Skype on my PC for calling home and strong Wi-Fi in the hotel and office....but the Wi-Fi doesn't seem to be working. What I really want is to use the Droid as an UMPC using only Wi-Fi for networking but I haven't gotten it working yet.

billyidle

Reaction score
If all you want is WiFi, turn Airplane Mode on, then turn WiFI on. That triangle is alerting you that there is no data service. The reason it is showing is something on your phone is trying to use data, but cannot find a signal. Turning on Airplane Mode will save you battery as well as get rid of the notification

OP
C

Chris.Nelson

Reaction score
If all you want is WiFi, turn Airplane Mode on, then turn WiFI on. That triangle is alerting you that there is no data service. The reason it is showing is something on your phone is trying to use data, but cannot find a signal. Turning on Airplane Mode will save you battery as well as get rid of the notification

Thanks. That works. It'd still be nice if the hollow triangle was documented somewhere...