Weird charging/battery issue

daggah

Reaction score
So I was messing with CyanogenMod, I went to flash an O/C kernel and realized that my phone was at 15% when I had rebooted into recovery, so I stuck my phone on its dock (connected to A/C power.) The backup and flashing process completed, but my phone died when I tried to reboot it. I learned tonight that the phone won't charge while in the recovery console. Anyway, now my phone won't boot up when connected to A/C power...if I connect it to A/C power, it goes to the white Motorola logo (it never gets past that to go to the red Droid boot animation) but doesn't seem to charge.

Also, when I plug it up to A/C power, the white charging light blinks once and then turns off.

If I unplug it, the screen (showing the white Motorola logo) turns off a half second later.

I have it plugged into my computer, and the white LED is on to indicate that it's charging, but nothing happens when I press the power button (not even the white Motorola logo.)

Any ideas?

TheM

Reaction score
Micro USB might be the problem.

I've notices that not all micro usb ac/car charger's will charge my Droid.

for example; my headset(plantronics voyager pro) uses a micro usb for charging, but it won't work for my droid, the white light flashes on/off and thats it. but my headset will charge with my droids ac charger:mad:

its most likely a protection protocal built into the phone! it will charge with most generic ac/car charger's, but not the one for my headset:mad: ohwell:)

Solution; use the ac charger that came with the Droid.

iWhat? iNothing! :motdroidvert:Does. :)

oh yeah, i got one of those ac/car in one chargers, i doesn't work, wierd part is that it "flash charges"; the white charge light blinks and so does the charging indicater on my phonescreen!!!:icon_evil:

OP
D

daggah

Reaction score
I was using the A/C charger that came with the Droid actually.

Anyway, I figured out what the problem was, when I flashed that O/C kernel it didn't flash correctly, probably due to the battery level. I managed to get into recovery and restore my pre-install backup and it worked...when I powered my phone on from that, the battery level was still at 15%, but it began to charge. The bad flash apparently made my phone forget how to charge itself.

grndamgt4

Reaction score
I was using the A/C charger that came with the Droid actually.

Anyway, I figured out what the problem was, when I flashed that O/C kernel it didn't flash correctly, probably due to the battery level. I managed to get into recovery and restore my pre-install backup and it worked...when I powered my phone on from that, the battery level was still at 15%, but it began to charge. The bad flash apparently made my phone forget how to charge itself.

How did you "manage to get into the recovery" ?

Mine has the same symptoms, but it didn't happen during a flash, I was just away from a charger for a couple days so the battery was completely dead.
Now in DC, the charging light doesn't come on at all, but the motorola logo comes on for a few seconds, then goes off, then repeats.
If I plug it into DC, the charging light comes on but nothing on the screen and pushing the power button does nothing.

Any suggestions would be great. I guess the battery could of just died completely but it's a big coincidence and I don't believe in coincidences.

UPDATE: I left mine on the charger for several hours (ac power) and eventually it charged.
What I believe was happening was that when the screen came on and showed the motorola logo, the screen used to much juice since the battery was completely drained causing it to shutdown again. It did this on the charger for an hour or so (constantly rebooting), but it would stay on the motorola screen just a second longer each time. Eventually it got enough juice before the reboot that it was able to stay on and charge. Again just theory but it's been days and the phone has been back to normal.

Last edited: