WaveSecure

s-one

Reaction score
Nice looking site but you guys should really look into changing the phone number login to a standard email or username login.

funken

Reaction score
Just tracked my phone and its location was 2.5 blocks off. Not sure that would be good enough to find a lost phone.

Chief Wahoo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I dont know what happened with today's (or was it yesterday's) update of WaveSecure, but after updating the app I ran into nothing but Force Closes, and had to uninstall to get back to stable - WaveSecure has been working fine for several months now, so I don't know what happened - may try to wait for another update from the Developer and install it again. I do want it back on my droid, for sure - just can't handle the repititive FCs.

cheewee

Reaction score
I dont know what happened with today's (or was it yesterday's) update of WaveSecure, but after updating the app I ran into nothing but Force Closes, and had to uninstall to get back to stable - WaveSecure has been working fine for several months now, so I don't know what happened - may try to wait for another update from the Developer and install it again. I do want it back on my droid, for sure - just can't handle the repititive FCs.

Hi Chief Wahoo,
For added security, we encrypt all WaveSecure settings in this release. If you are facing force closes, can you uninstall and do a fresh install? This should resolve the issue.

Thanks,
cheewee
Team WaveSecure
www.wavesecure.com

limesilkz

Reaction score
evill app it charges international txt to unlock ur phone uninstalled asap!

SwordOfWar

Reaction score

Yeah I read somewhere that they changed back to international text messages again. What upsets me is they don't warn you on the market app description or anywhere in the application.

If your going to go back to charging again, the least you can do is post obvious warnings so everyone knows that. You can easily spend a few bucks just by testing the remote functions on the site.

Also, the application's upload media function has a bug where instead of displaying the "upload in queue" type of message, it just says the file size of the file. This happens when adding many files to the upload queue or when using the refresh button while everything is uploading. It is confusing because it makes you think the files are no longer in the upload queue, but they are. Also, why do we still not have an "upload all" button/option? Do you know how annoying it is to sit there and click on every single picture I want to upload. Phones these days can easily have 100s or 1,000s of photos on them. I'm already annoyed with it and I only had to select around 20-30 files.

Why do we still not have audio file support for uploading? I want to backup my phone's MP3s. You already support pictures and videos, so MP3 files shouldn't be a problem if you can handle full videos. The least you can do is backup the phone's ringtones.

Also, I had to reset my phone and reinstall the WaveSecure app, but when I went to upload media, it listed everything again instead of just items that were not uploaded. Basically I didn't know what was already uploaded and what was new. I had to delete everything from my online account and start over because I didn't want to have duplicate items on my online account. You need a more reliable method of detecting already uploaded items. I suggest keeping a record online of what has been uploaded (make the server calculate a unique ID for each file, so the phone can compare with the server and sync properly, identifying only new files). Another option is to save a record on the SDCard determining what was already uploaded (but if I ever change the SDCard, that would be useless).

Also, on the website most people don't know you have to put a "1" in front of your mobile number. You should make a dropdown box where you select your mobile number's country, rather than expecting them to know the country code. The first time I used the website it took me a minute to realize the reason my account didn't exist was because I didn't know I had to put the country code in it. Make this more obvious. You would be surprised at how many people don't even know the country code because they never had to make an international call.

Sorry if I seem a little rude, it was just frustrating me and I'm sure many other users are experiencing these issues.

cheewee

Reaction score

Hi limesilkz,
I can assure you we are definitely not evil. We're in this line to help users recover their phones in the event of loss/theft. :)

We apologize for the charges incurred. In fact, we're not charging users for the service currently. Each time a user issues a remote command from the web site, we actually pay for the outgoing text message so it works for them. It's unfortunate that your operator/carrier charges for incoming international texts.

To get around this problem, you can issue the commands like backup etc from your phone. This way, no text messages will be sent as it is done over data.

Thanks,
cheewee
Team WaveSecure
www.wavesecure.com

cheewee

Reaction score
Yeah I read somewhere that they changed back to international text messages again. What upsets me is they don't warn you on the market app description or anywhere in the application.

If your going to go back to charging again, the least you can do is post obvious warnings so everyone knows that. You can easily spend a few bucks just by testing the remote functions on the site.

Also, the application's upload media function has a bug where instead of displaying the "upload in queue" type of message, it just says the file size of the file. This happens when adding many files to the upload queue or when using the refresh button while everything is uploading. It is confusing because it makes you think the files are no longer in the upload queue, but they are. Also, why do we still not have an "upload all" button/option? Do you know how annoying it is to sit there and click on every single picture I want to upload. Phones these days can easily have 100s or 1,000s of photos on them. I'm already annoyed with it and I only had to select around 20-30 files.

Why do we still not have audio file support for uploading? I want to backup my phone's MP3s. You already support pictures and videos, so MP3 files shouldn't be a problem if you can handle full videos. The least you can do is backup the phone's ringtones.

Also, I had to reset my phone and reinstall the WaveSecure app, but when I went to upload media, it listed everything again instead of just items that were not uploaded. Basically I didn't know what was already uploaded and what was new. I had to delete everything from my online account and start over because I didn't want to have duplicate items on my online account. You need a more reliable method of detecting already uploaded items. I suggest keeping a record online of what has been uploaded (make the server calculate a unique ID for each file, so the phone can compare with the server and sync properly, identifying only new files). Another option is to save a record on the SDCard determining what was already uploaded (but if I ever change the SDCard, that would be useless).

Also, on the website most people don't know you have to put a "1" in front of your mobile number. You should make a dropdown box where you select your mobile number's country, rather than expecting them to know the country code. The first time I used the website it took me a minute to realize the reason my account didn't exist was because I didn't know I had to put the country code in it. Make this more obvious. You would be surprised at how many people don't even know the country code because they never had to make an international call.

Sorry if I seem a little rude, it was just frustrating me and I'm sure many other users are experiencing these issues.

Hi SwordOfWar,
Thank you for your comments and feedback. I will forward this to our development team.

Just some clarifications, though.

1. There is actually a note on Android Market informing users that text commands are sent from Singapore. WaveSecure is used by users from all over the world. Unfortunately, operators/carriers US is one of the few countries that charge for incoming international text.

2. Along with the launch of the revamped site, we've improved the login feature. Users should be able to omit the country code and login will still work.

Thanks,
cheewee
Team WaveSecure
www.wavesecure.com

jett78

Reaction score
Cheewee,

Have you switched to US texts for the US users yet? I know it is not really that big of a deal I just remember you saying that was in the works or being considered.

BTW, what exactly is "SMS command PIN" ? Sounds familiar, but it is not registering in my memory banks :)

Hi 928Droid,
There should be no international text charges for WaveSecure users in the US now.

To answer your question on SMS command PIN, aside from using a computer to send commands to your phone remotely, you can use any other cell phone to do so.

For example, to lock your phone, send a message with "Secure lock <PIN>" to the current phone.

Now, we've added an option for you to use another PIN in addition to the PIN used to access the application.

For more information on securing your phone remotely, refer to the help by choosing Menu, Help from within the WaveSecure application.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
cheewee
Team WaveSecure
www.wavesecure.com

Back to charging international texts to US users? I didn't notice in time and sent 4 hits while showing someone your service.

r314bd

Reaction score
If you are using your Droid on Verizon Wireless, you are charged 20 cents for every command you send to the phone from your computer with WaveSecure.

WaveSecure is based in Singapore and all the commands are sent via international text message...which aren't included in unlimited texting plans.

I use Mobile Defense instead. Allows you to remote lock and GPS track, with no charges at all. Doesn't let you remotely backup and wipe data like WaveSecure does though.

If you don't mind the 20 cents per remote command sent, then by all means use WaveSecure

jett78

Reaction score
If you are using your Droid on Verizon Wireless, you are charged 20 cents for every command you send to the phone from your computer with WaveSecure.

WaveSecure is based in Singapore and all the commands are sent via international text message...which aren't included in unlimited texting plans.

I use Mobile Defense instead. Allows you to remote lock and GPS track, with no charges at all. Doesn't let you remotely backup and wipe data like WaveSecure does though.

If you don't mind the 20 cents per remote command sent, then by all means use WaveSecure

Yup, I got Mobile Defense installed also, in fact, I had that first, until Wave Secure was recommended to me. I like Wave Secure's website better, and 20 cents is nothing when it comes to trying to get your phone back and securing data. But, when they switch back from free US texting without notifying and I waste a buck or two just just showing someone how it works, what a waste. (Yeah, they have a notice in red now).

Back to Mobile Defense for me.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I uninstalled WaveSecure since I felt I didn't need any security. I've never lost a phone and even if I lose it there is nothing special about my data - so who cares.

vatothe0

Reaction score
Cheewee, has your team looked into sending the messages via emai-to-sms? Most carriers support this and would save you and your users money. You wouldn't have to pay for the outgoing messages and users wouldn't pay for international text.

Verizon users can be reached at [10 digit mobile #]@vtext.com and most other US carriers have something similar.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Cheewee, has your team looked into sending the messages via emai-to-sms? Most carriers support this and would save you and your users money. You wouldn't have to pay for the outgoing messages and users wouldn't pay for international text.

Verizon users can be reached at [10 digit mobile #]@vtext.com and most other US carriers have something similar.

+1 -- I'd switch back to WaveSecure if you offered this.