watching video clips in websites

derfel

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
samsung s5
I have found recently that when I go on to websites that I can't watch the video clips embedded in the website. This has only recently happened.

Any thoughts?

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

Not a lot of detail about what you are using but,
A change in browsers, assuming you are using one, may tell you something. Are they Flash videos?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I have found recently that when I go on to websites that I can't watch the video clips embedded in the website. This has only recently happened.

Any thoughts?
You push the play button and nothing happens? I've noticed this issue with my galaxy s4 as well lately. Some embedded videos were always a pain, wouldn't properly go fullscreen, but embedded youtube videos always seemed to work, but now those don't even want to play.

I tried this just yesterday in the Samsung browser as well as Chrome.

OP
D

derfel

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
samsung s5
Yes same here. It's strange because this is only recent

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
As leeshor said, my guess is they're flash videos and your browser is not supporting flash.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
As leeshor said, my guess is they're flash videos and your browser is not supporting flash.
But why the sudden change? I don't know that I've received a chrome update between now & when it last worked & as far as I know, the stock Samsung browser hasn't updated since the last os update.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
It's an issue of flash no longer being supported since Android 4.1, not the browser. As far as why is suddenly not working I can't be sure. I do know that it doesn't work sometimes and it may be due to the end of flash support.

Try this;

How to Install Flash Player on Android 4.4.2 4.4.3 4.4.4 KitKat HighOnAndroid.com

If this works for you then it's pretty conclusive evidence that it's the support for flash in your browser no longer working.

Last edited:

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
It's not because of flash. YouTube has been doing this to me. I always have to click the description on top of the video pane to then launch YouTube. They have recoded something. I thought it was just me.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It's an issue of flash no longer being supported since Android 4.1, not the browser. As far as why is suddenly not working I can't be sure. I do know that it doesn't work sometimes and it may be due to the end of flash support.

Try this;

How to Install Flash Player on Android 4.4.2 4.4.3 4.4.4 KitKat HighOnAndroid.com

If this works for you then it's pretty conclusive evidence that it's the support for flash in your browser no longer working.
I might give this a try later. I remember when they stopped flash development for Android, but as Ollie said, YouTube videos do this too, so even if that's the problem, it's likely not the entire problem.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
You should be able to use HTML5 if it's YouTube. There is a browser that natively supports Flash on Android, Puffin!

OP
D

derfel

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
samsung s5
It is strange though that I haven't updated anything or changed anything. It simply stopped working

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It could be the cache in the browser you're using. You could try cleaning the cache in that app.
I cleared data & cache in chrome. Still experiencing the issue.

For my test, I went to droid life & click on the iPhone 6 review article, then attempted to play the "first impressions" video embedded there, which is a YouTube video.

Tapping the the at the top made the Video a weird full-screen mode, but still didn't want to play.