Want to use Verizon GS3 as hotspot for laptop, dont want to pay extra fee or root

vcarterm16

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the app easy-tether with the Verizon GalaxyS3? This app worked like a charm with my old DroidX. Since Verizon is shipping the new phone with a locked bootloader, I wonder if they have also found a way to block "unofficial" apps like easy-tether. Any suggestions? I know there are a number of apps out there to allow tethering and I'd really appreciate feedback!
thanks
Vickie
Verizon GS3 32Gb, blue on preorder, unlimited data grandfathered in. I hate the thought of rooting a nice new phone, I just dont have the skill level! The locked bootloader might make it impossible for a noob like me in any event.

Wakenup23v

Reaction score
+1 on Foxfi. It's working for me right now as I write this but I do notice that 1 Browser window works fine but another acts like it doens't have a network connection.

greg916

Reaction score
Pda.net will allow you to tether through usb port I have it on mine and it works like a dream

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Pda.net will allow you to tether through usb port I have it on mine and it works like a dream
Unless something changed, you don't need pda.net to do that. It works out of the box stock.

AsmodeusLore

Reaction score
Perhaps something is different here, but I'm no longer getting any sort of indication that Verizon will charge an extra fee for using their build-in Mobile Hotspot app. It does not require Root to use.

Perhaps it is because you have the grandfathered unlimited plan?

deputc26

Reaction score
Verizon lost a lawsuit with the FCC, they can't charge for tethering anymore.