want to try out bb .... questions

zero7404

Reaction score
first time looking to try out the latest bugless beast (jb, 9/7 build) ....

im on jro right now, rooted ... not running a rom. would i just dl and install the latest rom or do i need to flash additional zips ? on pete's site it says to also flash the latest radio and bootloader .... not sure if all that is necessary since im on jro

posted via android ....

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
first time looking to try out the latest bugless beast (jb, 9/7 build) ....

im on jro right now, rooted ... not running a rom. would i just dl and install the latest rom or do i need to flash additional zips ? on pete's site it says to also flash the latest radio and bootloader .... not sure if all that is necessary since im on jro

posted via android ....

you should be able to just download the zip and Flash it in recovery. If your on the new jelly bean OTA then you already have the updated radios.

OP
zero7404

zero7404

Reaction score
ok ..... should i still do all the wipes including factory, dalvik, cache, etc ?
does bugless have a different boot animatiin than sto k ?

posted via android ....

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Bugless uses the stock jelly bean boot animation. I would wipe data/factory reset three times, wipe system three times, and wipe dalvik three times and then flash the zip. Make a nandroid backup if you would like before doing these steps.

OP
zero7404

zero7404

Reaction score
why do a wipe 3 times ?

also ... i reflashed my phone and updated to 4.1.1 (ota), completely stock/unrooted, would i be able to flash bb using the temp recovery feature when i do this via wug's toolkit ? ... so i'd be doing a temp recovery from the nexus tool kit, then flashing the zip file from within recovery ....

does the phone need to be rooted to do this ? i am able to go into temp recovery right now and do nandroid backups and i'm not rooted ....

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
why do a wipe 3 times ?

also ... i reflashed my phone and updated to 4.1.1 (ota), completely stock/unrooted, would i be able to flash bb using the temp recovery feature when i do this via wug's toolkit ? ... so i'd be doing a temp recovery from the nexus tool kit, then flashing the zip file from within recovery ....

does the phone need to be rooted to do this ? i am able to go into temp recovery right now and do nandroid backups and i'm not rooted ....

I assume the temp recovery is just CWM/TWRP, where they don't rename the recovery-from-boot.p Which if so, yes installing a ROM would be no problem.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
why do a wipe 3 times ?

You don't have to. Some swear by it, but wiping multiple times makes no sense. It's like hitting backspace on your keyboard. It is programmed to perform the same function every time. Hitting it multiple times will perform the same function multiple times. Wiping once and wiping three times has the exact same effect.

OP
zero7404

zero7404

Reaction score
i thought it would be ok to go and flash bugless ... i did a nandroid in twrp, so i think i may try it out and see how it runs. worse case scenario if i had issues i can go and restore the backup

one thing i want to make sure of is before restoring a backup, is it necessary to go and do a data reset, along with all the wipes ? does a full restore from a nandroid overwrite everything in memory, or are artifacts left from the previous install ?

posted via android ....

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
i thought it would be ok to go and flash bugless ... i did a nandroid in twrp, so i think i may try it out and see how it runs. worse case scenario if i had issues i can go and restore the backup

one thing i want to make sure of is before restoring a backup, is it necessary to go and do a data reset, along with all the wipes ? does a full restore from a nandroid overwrite everything in memory, or are artifacts left from the previous install ?

posted via android ....

Restoring your nandroid wipes your /data partition. No need to wipe before restoring a backup.

OP
zero7404

zero7404

Reaction score
doing some 'forensics' analysis on my phone to figure out how the file copy issue i was having came about .... i re-rooted the ota 4.1.1 build im using, so far i noticed the phone is taking longer to boot (more time @ the google logo) ... and im slowly putting back the other apps i used to have, fresh from the market ....

eventually ill work up to flashing bb, till then ill be observing how well im running with the changes i make.

can you explain how the partition system works on the phone with respect to romming and flashing, are these locations etched into non-volatile sections of ram on the mainboard ?
what gets wiped and what remains intact is what im looking to figure out

posted via android ....