Voice Dialing

weissman

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to (or if it's possible to) voice dial on the Eris?

OP
W

weissman

Reaction score
Thx! Just tried it, but it doesn't work very well. I get better results w/ long press on Search button to execute Google Search, speaking my contact's name, then screen pressing the result I want to call.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thx! Just tried it, but it doesn't work very well. I get better results w/ long press on Search button to execute Google Search, speaking my contact's name, then screen pressing the result I want to call.

Yes, the voice dialer doesn't seem to work very well, especially with any extraneous background noise. Road noise is enough to keep it from working, which is a shame considering driving is an especially good time for wanting to voice dial.

But it is there.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it's available on the Eris, but Choice Dialer has been an awesome app for me on the Droid - might check it out. Works a LOT better than the stock voice dialer, and you can do a lot more with it.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it's available on the Eris, but Choice Dialer has been an awesome app for me on the Droid - might check it out. Works a LOT better than the stock voice dialer, and you can do a lot more with it.

Thanks for the tip. What is the difference between the free and $4 versions?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think the paid version adds commands for opening music and what not - don't remember for sure. If all you want is the voice dialing, give the free version a go. But the $4 has been well worth it, for me.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Had about the same luck with it as the stock dialer. Comments seem to suggest that it doesn't work very well on the Eris.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
sorry :(

There is also "Voice Dialer HF" (I think that's the name). My wife and I both had an Eris at one point and I think I tried that and it worked better than the stock voice dialer. I could be remembering wrong, but you might give that a shot, too.