1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Video playback

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 3' started by arparaspolo, Dec 25, 2011.

1. arparaspolo

arparaspolo New Member

I have the 16gb memory card that came with my DX and used it for my DX2 now I am using it on my D3. I am having problems watching movies. I am rooted but stock everything. When I go to watch a movie (whiched worked fine on both of the older phones) it takes forever to load. The screen stays black for a minute or two before starting. Any idea why this may be hapening?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
  2. xaelith

xaelith New Member

My only guess is that the phone is buffering some of the file into the RAM for a smoother playback. Also, where do you have the video files stored (example: /sys/videos), and how many are in the folder with the one you're trying to play?

A little off-topic (in case someone with more knowledge than myself come across this), what format do videos need to be in to play properly on this phone? I tried converting one from avi to mp4, but the best I got was a still image when I would drag the time bar around.
  3. arparaspolo

arparaspolo New Member

It is a 700 mb avi of Moonwalker haha don't judge me. It is stored on my sd card in a file marked videos. There are maybe ten other very small videos recorded with old phones I've had. Less than a minute each.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
  4. xaelith

xaelith New Member

It might be a format issue, then; perhaps the Droid3 doesn't like avi files. I have a video i tried putting on my phone which is avi, and i got frustrated waiting for the file to play, so i gave up before it could do anything. I tried converting it to mp4 (which is the format the phone uses for its own recordings), but that didn't help either.
  5. keepithd2010

keepithd2010 New Member

I am having the same problem. I had an LG Env Touch before the D3 and it played mp4 fine. So I thought getting a DROID phone with a 4" screen would be even better. I have tried almost every 3rd party player and their codec and the movies won’t play in avi or mp4. I am so pissed off I want to go back to my Env. Can anybody help?

Thank You

6. arparaspolo

arparaspolo New Member

If you wait long enough the movie will play. When I click play, it stays black for about a minute or so. It will eventually play though. I think I will try to convert it to 3GP lol like I had to do with my Dare. I will let you know what happens.
  7. Fr33dom

Fr33dom New Member

When I encode videos that I want to run on my phone I use mp4 and switch the audio codec to aac.
  8. NoBloatware

NoBloatware New Member

BSPlayer Lite, free from market, is the player I use on those 700MB AVIs. Goes well with aDownloader, also free from market.