Verizon Wireless Network Extender Review [NO 56k/MOBILE]

IanG

Reaction score
Hello DroidForums.net!

I have received my Samsung Verizon Wireless Network Extender unit today, and decided to post a review on it. Ready? I am!

Here's my signal on my phone before installing the Network Extender (I live in a highly populated metro area).

zv6b87.png

Great. 0 bars, a few dropped calls. Lets take a look at our Range Extender unit.

Here's the front shot of the unit:
4uia8p.jpg

Backside:
2hwgvsy.jpg

Content List:
2w405qs.jpg

Inside the box:
2hnq22v.jpg

Cool. Looks simple enough.

The actual unit itself:
6s7zwn.jpg

2wnobx3.jpg

Easy. Looks like your standard network access point. What do the instructions say? Plug it in, wait up to an hour, and you're golden (as long as you've activated it).

Here's my signal after installing the range extender:
2nsuyv9.png

Bottom Line:

Pros:

• Definitely improves cell coverage
  • Fairly easy to set up
  • You can create a list of people that can and cannot use the extender
  • Got it for free!
  • Since the unit needs to be located near a window for GPS service... if you are unable to do this, they include a VERY long cord to extend the GPS receiver so you don't need the unit near a window.
Cons:

• $250 retail
  • GPS can take up to an hour to lock onto a signal
  • You will only notice your bars increase while making a call, so it will still remain low when you're not in a call.
  • Does not do 3G service
  • Takes 5-20 minutes to get working
  • Shouldn't need these in a highly populated area. Come on Verizon, more towers please!
Overall Score: 8/10

Last edited:

greyghost04

Reaction score
I've loved mine since day one. I also had no bars in my house for 20 years. Now complete coverage in the entire house.

monsterpt

Reaction score
IanG, how did you get the unit for free? There is coverage on th verizon "map" but I get none at home at times. Otherwise my signal is excellent everywhere else, just not at home. It just burns me to have to pay vzw $250 for a unit.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Does not do 3g? Alrighty. You'd think buying a mini tower to put on your house would be an investment for Verizon. I remember in high school wireless providers begging to use our gym to put up a tower and paying the school a fair sum of money to do this.

OP
I

IanG

Reaction score
IanG, how did you get the unit for free? There is coverage on th verizon "map" but I get none at home at times. Otherwise my signal is excellent everywhere else, just not at home. It just burns me to have to pay vzw $250 for a unit.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

By complaining that I get 0-1 bars with dropped calls, but I live within 2 miles of Downtown. :)

NOTE: THIS REVIEW IS NOT THE 3G MODEL - THE NEWER MODELS HAVE 3G SERVICE

vstarx

Reaction score
i got mine for 99 works great since I live at the shore on the side of a hill i had poor or no receipts now all i use is my droid