Verizon Wanted To Pre-Install More Bloatware Apps For $1-2 Per Phone

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

In the least surprising news story this week Verizon reportedly offered to pre-install bloatware apps on their devices for $1-2 per phone. I am not really sure why this made headlines folks. Isn't this what Verizon does? The bloatware on their phones has been so ridiculous at times that you are left with half of your available storage. This deal may be even worse than deals they have had in the past. Apparently Verizon's offer would not only include pre-installing apps to the phone, but also putting them on the homescreen. According to the report the deal was only for Android devices and not iOS phones. The ability for Verizon to customize the software may have been the main cause for this sort of behavior.

via Adage.com

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Only $2? Sweet! I'll pay them $2 to install more bloatware on my phone. Where do I go to get it? I get a dollar back on my account every time I open a bloatware app too, right? Sounds fair to me.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
As stated many many times, this would not be a huge deal if you could completely remove it from your phone and it not be reloaded back on your phone. The fact that they lock your phone, and install apps so you cannot remove them should be considered illegal, because they are basically taking part of your storage space and never giving it back. Now I understand that at this point it could be only say 100MB or less, but when do we worry, or when do we say enough is enough? 5 apps, 500 apps, 5MB, or 5GB? I think even them preloading any apps on your phone is too much.

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 20u AT&T
Twitter
kixfan
One of the few good reasons left to root your phone.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
You can disable most of the bloat, if not all of it.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can disable most of the bloat, if not all of it.

Disable is not remove. I know i can and do disable most of the bloatware, but you should be able to remove it all. If i buy my phone outright, then it is my phone, not the phone companies, and they should have no say what is on my phone.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Disable is not remove. I know i can and do disable most of the bloatware, but you should be able to remove it all. If i buy my phone outright, then it is my phone, not the phone companies, and they should have no say what is on my phone.
Should but you can't. That's not changing. Verizon, Samsung, HTC own the phones even though you have ownership of them.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
DT Ignite is the app that pre-installs the bloat (like games, etc). It can be disabled. I do this on each and every android I sell

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
DT Ignite is the app that pre-installs the bloat (like games, etc). It can be disabled. I do this on each and every android I sell

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
What phones? I've never seen or heard of that app.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Is this a relatively new "feature"? Do we know when this DT ignite thing start showing up on Android devices, or is it a Marshmallow thing? I had the wife disable it on her Note 7, (thanks to you guys mentioning it) but I'm not showing any such app on the S5.

S5 tap'n

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'm pretty sure the DT Ignite app came pre-installed on the Turbo 2 also. I disabled it after reading about it on the Moto Forum. Then, when we received the Marshmallow upgrade it disappeared.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk