Verizon network optimization question

Jimbop

Reaction score
I know when Verizon first implemented their version of throttling, they stated it was not a full-time throttle and that it only applied to their 3G band and those people on 4G plans would remain unaffected. My question is does anyone notice if they are applying this policy to their 4G band currently? I have not seen this specific question answered anyplace. I am still on an unlimited plan under contract and routinely use 30+ GB of data per month. I stream a lot of Netflix and IHeartRadio and burn up the data. My problem is routinely lately, I seem to be getting faster speeds off from the 3G band than 4G. A speedtest I just ran was giving me 300 Kb speeds with 3G and 100 with 4G. And I ran this test several times over and confirmed this is my current average. This is absolutely ridiculous slow compared to what it should be. I find myself using an app now to just turn 4G off instead of wasting my time with it. Is it just me or do others have similar issues? I use a Droid Bionic stock and have root enabled. No other mods.

OP
J

Jimbop

Reaction score
As reference, I took a few more speed tests at non-peak times and at peak times. In the month of February of this year, I averaged about 15Mb/sec between about 5 tests. March I averaged about 5 between 4 tests. Today in 6 tests during peak time, I averaged about 300Kb and 1.5Mb at 12:30 in the morning, well after peak time. This is a huge and unacceptable drop in speeds over the course of a few months.

OP
J

Jimbop

Reaction score
Well I think I have just proved Verizon is indeed now throttling 4G customers. My girlfriend also owns a Droid Bionic, same as me, but is on a 2Gb limited plan. Speed tests taken at the same time conclude while I attained an average speed around 350Kb per second, her device averaged 4Mb. Maybe the tower we run off from doesn't have as much bandwidth as some other towers, but be warned 4G 'network optimization' is now in full effect.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
VZW can't throttle 4G. It violates their spectrum agreement and they'd be paying a hefty fine for it. So, no, you're not being throttled.

OP
J

Jimbop

Reaction score
VZW can't throttle 4G. It violates their spectrum agreement and they'd be paying a hefty fine for it. So, no, you're not being throttled.

How can it be then that two phones, both the same model, can get two vastly different internet speeds in the same spot at the same time? My 4G has been practically unusable for a few weeks now until I began this series of tests, since my speeds have slowed to the point where it is not worth it compared to the battery drain of the LTE radio. I would not think something like this would have been the case if I did not see two phones like ours with one giving a jump of 10x the speed of my own. Just because something is supposed to be illegal doesn't mean a company might not try to slide it under the woodwork.

And if it indeed is not throttling, what could possibly be causing such a massive drop in my bandwidth? This much of a drop doesn't just happen by accident.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
And if it indeed is not throttling, what could possibly be causing such a massive drop in my bandwidth?

I'm guessing you need a new phone. If you really want to test it, swap the sim between the two phones and then see what happens.