Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69

On today’s episode of “Who’s using my personal data for corporate gain?” we have Verizon Wireless, who announced some changes to their privacy policy yesterday. With this change, Verizon will now begin storing your device’s location as well as web sites you visit while connected to their network, and will use that information to both serve you more customized advertisements and for Verizon’s internal marketing and business reports. Additionally, this information may be shared with outside companies.

It is important to note that no personally-identifying information will be shared. Neither Verizon nor anyone Verizon shares this information with will know that Joe Schmoe accessed Hustler in Cheyenne, Wyoming, only that the website was accessed and was accessed from Cheyenne.

Though it’s not a new concept that companies can access and store your device’s location information (Google does it too), what really rubs me the wrong way about this announcement is that users are opted-in by default, and you’ll have to opt-out if you don’t want Verizon to have access to this information.

I personally feel that if companies want to access my personal information, they should ask me about it first (i.e., I have to opt-in for them to have access). I usually have no problem letting companies access some of my information, but really get angry when they decide that I should share this without consulting me first.

Fortunately, opting out of this service is fairly simple. Simply go to verizonwireless.com/myprivacy, click a few checkboxes where it says “Don’t use my information,” and you should be all set. For more information about the move, head over to Verizon’s Privacy Policy website.

What do you guys think about Verizon’s move? Are you with me that all privacy concerns should require users to opt-in by default, or am I just being a nervous nellie?

Source: ComputerWorld via AndroidAndMe.Com

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks, got my settings changed on both numbers :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

svickstc

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this info...just opted out all my lines

Stuff like this really erges me...

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
not really a big deal but if you want to opt-out then yeah, I can see it as being a pain

Beka27

Reaction score
Opted-out. Would be nice if we could every VZW customer to opt-out. They'd be collecting a whole lotta nothing... lol...

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
I take it since I never allowed VZ based location sharing I am not seeing any options to opt out of this?

tuffD1

Reaction score
Maybe I will opt out too.

Sent from my Droid¹