Verizon Wireless Customers Will Now Be Able to Opt Out of 'supercookie' Tracker

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon_wireless-digital-camo-logo.jpg

All jokes aside, this newest bit of news is a reason for cheering instead of laughing. Verizon announced a new policy change in which users on their network will be able to "opt out" of the so-called "supercookie" tracker which has popped up in the news over the years.

To refresh your memory, for sometime Verizon has included an undeletable, unique identifier header in a tracking cookie whenever anyone uses a device on their wireless network. They claimed that it wasn't a security issue, but several reports suggested otherwise. Apparently, the big dogs at Big Red decided they had enough of the backlash from it and are now offering folks the ability to say no.

To opt-out, you can hunt around on Verizon's website or call 1-866-211-0874 and they can help you with it over the phone. This doesn't entirely solve the issue, as several consumer advocacy groups have would rather Verizon use the "opt-in" approach, but at least some progress has been made. Here's a quote with the final details,

In January, four Democratic members of the Senate’s powerful Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation sent a letter to Verizon’s chief executive, Lowell C. McAdam, demanding an explanation for the company’s data security and privacy practices. Shortly after, Verizon said it would provide a complete opt-out.

But privacy advocates continue to press Verizon. Jacob Hoffman-Andrews, a technologist for the Electronic Frontier Foundation, encouraged Verizon to go a step further.

“This is an improvement, but it doesn’t do nearly enough,” he said. “Verizon should discontinue its header injection program, or at a minimum make it opt-in.”

Verizon’s Ms. Lewis said customers may log in to their accounts to change their participation in the company’s data collection programs — whether it’s opt-in or opt-out — in the privacy section of the company’s website.

What do you think about this issue? Is it a valid privacy concern, or does it make a mountain out of a mole-hill?

Source: NYTimes

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I mean... When you really stop to think about it, they were doing the same thing that Google does to us...

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Except Google's tracking cookies are less exploitable by malware and third party companies. The problem with the VZW "supercookie" is that it creates an undeletable, unique identifier header.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
True. That part sucks. Glad I already opted out. ;) Too little too late though. I'm sure they've got plenty on me.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Interesting. When I went in to check my privacy settings, they were all already set to "don't share". I don't know if they allowed opting out in the past, but I haven't changed anything in the privacy settings a long time. Did they maybe change everyone to that and now are using an "opt in" method?

Rognish

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
rognish
easy to change with the link above, good job.

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
All of mine were already set to "Don't Share".
They flipped an internal switch and the cookie doesn't get generated anymore. I checked.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Mine were off by default.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Wonder if the back pedaled further and made it OPT-IN after I opted out. I caught this article elsewhere this morning.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Both of our accounts were already set to "Don't share" as well.
Thanks for the link though stormy!

S5 tap'n