Verizon Galaxy S4 Developer Edition: Rooting, ROMing and Recovering

markwebb

Reaction score
A few of us purchased the Dev Edition because the bootloader is unlocked, and it appears there are some things where clarification is required concerning the three "R's":

1. Rooting: I understand this wonderful rooting exercise is successful: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/sa...t/243165-how-root-your-verizon-galaxy-s4.html. I would think since the Dev Edition is unlocked, an owner would only utilize the Root step, and NOT the kernel exchange section. Correct? Or, must one complete the entire process?

2. ROMing: Since the ROMS were created using the Loki enabled system, does this affect ROMing the Dev Edition since it is already unlocked? What does a user need to do? Or, does it not matter? Do the Loki enabled ROMS work on a Dev Edition?

3. Recovery: Again, it appears TWRP and CWM are Loki adjusted, so does this affect recovery on the Dev Edition and restoring? Also, is there a Stock Factory Image which will NOT turn the phone back to a locked bootloader? Or, does the one which exists OK to use?

Or, are we confused on all counts? Does none of this matter?

I only ask these questions since a few of us are somewhat confused.

Thanking you in advance!

OP
markwebb

markwebb

Reaction score
Root failed when just applying the Motochopper step! It says it installs correctly and then it reboots and SuperSu is installed and then I checked for an upgrade which it took. However, it says it cannot install binary, there is a problem and closes.
frown.gif

I uninstalled SuperSu and tried a few times to root again but it doesn't work.

My phone states:

Kernel Version: 3.4.0-562219 dated May 15th
Build Number: JDQ439.I545OYUAMDK
Baseband: I545OYUAMDK

Must be something we can do....

The question is: Does the Dev Edition have the same kernel as the Retail Edition? If so, then it would make sense to swap kernels. I think we need the devs to weigh in.

OP
markwebb

markwebb

Reaction score
We have a solution for the Dev Edition w/o using Loki since the bootloader is already unlocked.

The solution was pieced together by guyd over at XDA (I take no credit...only for persistence in finding someone for a solution) and can be found here: Dev Edition: Rooting, Roming and Recovering - xda-developers

Begin at post #8.