Using the Volume Rocker to Switch Songs?

ezeddiekun

Reaction score
Anyone know how to do this? In other words I want to press and hold the down volume button for it to switch to the next song! I really don't like unlocking the phone and going to the media player just to change the song. Any ideas on how to do this?

markmicallef

Reaction score
How would you adjust the volume, if it was assigned to switching songs? because it is a mechanical switch a long press probable won't work.

Although I am not an Engineer, so I may be wrong.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
great idea, but like the others say, volume would then be a problem.

i would think the key is just wired to adjust volume, dunno if it'd be able to differentiate from going to max volume or skipping a song via holding it down

J-Buck

Reaction score
lol i bet u had a blackberry before your Droid :)

sixtytwo

Reaction score
What about using the camera button? 1 click = play/pause, 2 clicks = next, 3 clicks = previous. That button's not doing anything when the phone is off anyway.

However, any physical button function modification is going to require some sort of hack, since it's not a preference you can set in a menu, well, at least not one I can find. Now that the droid's been rooted, I'd imagine it's only a matter of time before a solution of some sort surfaces.

Jer

Reaction score
I just can't stand not having a pause or mute button while it's locked. That part I did like about my BB.

bacalao

Reaction score
On the Storm it was two clicks up or down that would change songs. and the lock button would mute/pause/play sounds or music. This didn't work for streaming radio which is what I mostly do for music.
That was actually nice, but since I usually use Pandora, not really missing much except the mute button.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just can't stand not having a pause or mute button while it's locked. That part I did like about my BB.

pulling the headphone jack will pause it.

Plugging and unplugging the headphones repeatedly isn't a viable solution. That's a good way to end up with static due to poor connection over time.

i agree... and you unfortunately have to unlock the phone to 'play' again

Wiineedmore

Reaction score
This does work and is available in the CM6 rom, however I just switched to a new rom modded by some chinese devs and its sic ! But, I still need this (Long press volume up or down to go through tracks) in my new rom