1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Use Facebook sync ONLY for pictures

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Azmordean, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Azmordean

Azmordean New Member

Well, the title pretty much is my question. Is there a way to do this? The thing is, a lot of my friends put "secondary" info on facebook - e.g., a secondary "junk" email address. I don't want this secondary info incorporated into my real address book, which has the real info.

I would however like the pictures from facebook to be used, because right now, all my friends are droids!! (probably the evil plan of my DROID is to assimilate everyone but that is an aside ;))

Thanks in advance!
  2. Rettocs

Rettocs New Member

As far as I know, there is no way to just sync the pics. You either get all of the info, or none of it. I do see where you have a good idea, though. Some people that I know have fake or old phone numbers on their facebook accounts, so the sync adds a second line with the useless number in there. Then, everytime I want to call them, i have to remember to choose the number that is working.
  3. xkmakx

xkmakx New Member

its even worse for me i get duplicate contacts from facebook and gmail even tho they have the same phone number what gives ?
  4. Rettocs

Rettocs New Member

There is a menu item that allows you to merge contacts if you are getting duplicate entries.
  5. xkmakx

xkmakx New Member

reallllllyyy now ??? where would that menu be ive been looking for something like this
  6. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

One of my friends thought it was funny to put her phone number on facebook as "911". Not normally a big deal, because obviously people reading facebook know that's not the right number. The droid, however, doesn't seem to care, and dutifully added it to my contact list.

And just as I typed this, I decided to go into the contact to remove that number so that I didn't accidentally dial it....and accidentally dialed it in the process. ****.

Looks like you can't remove individual pieces of information that synced from facebook from a contact, you can only remove the entire contact.
  7. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Contacts>>Long Press Contact to edit>>Menu>> Options are there....
  8. 640k

640k New Member

facebook - menu - settings - Sync Contacts - sync with existing contacts.

this will help eliminate clutter.

as far as the info FB downloads, you can choose what becomes priority for means of contact, but you can't edit teh FB contact info.

info on how to merge contacts is in my GMAIL contacts and you thread.
  9. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Yesterday I did a factory reset to change my primary GMail email address associated with my Droid. I used to have all my Facebook friends pictures synced with my phone contacts. Now, 24 hours after switching around, and having everything set to sync, I randomly just have a few pictures that have synced over. Does anyone know why this is happening randomly and not everyone like it used to be?

Edit: What I just found out what I can do is go into the Contacts, select a contact, and click on "Facebook Profile" and it brings the picture over. I never manually had to do that before.
  10. Rettocs

Rettocs New Member

This is what I was talking about. A few of my friends have "Jenny's" number listed, or things like 911, or even just 555-555-5555. When you sync these people, it adds those numbers and there is no way to delete pieces like that. I would love to see that fixed.
  11. Aluminum21

Aluminum21 New Member

is there anyway to use facebook to sync the pictures WITHOUT having a facebook account?
  12. Rettocs

Rettocs New Member

Not that I am aware of. From what I have noticed, you must have a Facebook Account to sync with.
  13. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

I don't see it happening. For one, a lot of people have privacy settings for their accounts, so only friends can see photos (even profile photos). But the more important reason is the sheer number of people - Imagine if you had "Joe Smith" on the contact list on your phone. There's no way for a sync program to know which one on facebook you meant unless you had them on a much smaller contact list of friends.
  14. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Premium Member Premium Member

Agreed.

As for people with old numbers or random numbers that are added to your contacts, go into the contact, long-press on the number that is ACTUALLY their number, and select "make default." That should [I forget, but I'm pretty sure] put a checkmark by that number, and it'll, well, be the default number for that contact.
  15. airtas

airtas New Member

how do I remove all the **** that Facebook sync downloaded, like all mass Facebook contacts
  16. mcumeda

mcumeda New Member

When I tried to sync my facebook account with my droid it screwed up all my contacts. I list my contacts on my phone and google contacts as last name, first name. However, when I would sync with facebook, some, and only some, of my contacts would change to first name, last name on my phone but not on google calendars. So, I would have all my contacts listed as last name, first name, but a few rogue contacts would change to first name, last name on my phone.

Syncing with facebook is a cool features, but I stopped using it because it was screwing up my contact order.
  17. airtas

airtas New Member

was there ever a resolution?
  18. joebutter

joebutter New Member

Facebook profile pic sync only

I didn't think it would work but it did.
    1. go to FB profile of person whose pic you want
    2. right click on profile pic desired and send email (to Droid)
    3. detach pic to Droid SD card
    4. open contact, get to edit screen
    5. click on where photo SHOULD be, Droid will open pics
    6. Click on pic you emailed
    On my Droid, it imported all FB profile data which is OK by me but doesn't solve original question I guess?? Oh well
Search tags for this page

android facebook pictures without account

anyway to delete all photos from facebook sync?
facebook and picture sync where is it saving these pictures

how do i sync only certain pictures to facebook

how do you put a sync picture as profile picture on fb
how to sync only one contact photo from facebook
is there anyway to make peoples facebook profile pics sync w
only for pics.net
picture small for facebook profile motorola droid