Use Facebook sync ONLY for pictures

Azmordean

Reaction score
Well, the title pretty much is my question. Is there a way to do this? The thing is, a lot of my friends put "secondary" info on facebook - e.g., a secondary "junk" email address. I don't want this secondary info incorporated into my real address book, which has the real info.

I would however like the pictures from facebook to be used, because right now, all my friends are droids!! (probably the evil plan of my DROID is to assimilate everyone but that is an aside ;))

Thanks in advance!

Rettocs

Reaction score
As far as I know, there is no way to just sync the pics. You either get all of the info, or none of it. I do see where you have a good idea, though. Some people that I know have fake or old phone numbers on their facebook accounts, so the sync adds a second line with the useless number in there. Then, everytime I want to call them, i have to remember to choose the number that is working.

xkmakx

Reaction score
its even worse for me i get duplicate contacts from facebook and gmail even tho they have the same phone number what gives ?

Rettocs

Reaction score
its even worse for me i get duplicate contacts from facebook and gmail even tho they have the same phone number what gives ?

There is a menu item that allows you to merge contacts if you are getting duplicate entries.

xkmakx

Reaction score
reallllllyyy now ??? where would that menu be ive been looking for something like this

Se7enLC

Reaction score
One of my friends thought it was funny to put her phone number on facebook as "911". Not normally a big deal, because obviously people reading facebook know that's not the right number. The droid, however, doesn't seem to care, and dutifully added it to my contact list.

And just as I typed this, I decided to go into the contact to remove that number so that I didn't accidentally dial it....and accidentally dialed it in the process. ****.

Looks like you can't remove individual pieces of information that synced from facebook from a contact, you can only remove the entire contact.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
reallllllyyy now ??? where would that menu be ive been looking for something like this

Contacts>>Long Press Contact to edit>>Menu>> Options are there....

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, the title pretty much is my question. Is there a way to do this? The thing is, a lot of my friends put "secondary" info on facebook - e.g., a secondary "junk" email address. I don't want this secondary info incorporated into my real address book, which has the real info.

I would however like the pictures from facebook to be used, because right now, all my friends are droids!! (probably the evil plan of my DROID is to assimilate everyone but that is an aside ;))

Thanks in advance!
facebook - menu - settings - Sync Contacts - sync with existing contacts.

this will help eliminate clutter.

as far as the info FB downloads, you can choose what becomes priority for means of contact, but you can't edit teh FB contact info.

info on how to merge contacts is in my GMAIL contacts and you thread.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I did a factory reset to change my primary GMail email address associated with my Droid. I used to have all my Facebook friends pictures synced with my phone contacts. Now, 24 hours after switching around, and having everything set to sync, I randomly just have a few pictures that have synced over. Does anyone know why this is happening randomly and not everyone like it used to be?

Edit: What I just found out what I can do is go into the Contacts, select a contact, and click on "Facebook Profile" and it brings the picture over. I never manually had to do that before.

Rettocs

Reaction score
Looks like you can't remove individual pieces of information that synced from facebook from a contact, you can only remove the entire contact.

This is what I was talking about. A few of my friends have "Jenny's" number listed, or things like 911, or even just 555-555-5555. When you sync these people, it adds those numbers and there is no way to delete pieces like that. I would love to see that fixed.

Aluminum21

Reaction score
is there anyway to use facebook to sync the pictures WITHOUT having a facebook account?

Se7enLC

Reaction score
is there anyway to use facebook to sync the pictures WITHOUT having a facebook account?

I don't see it happening. For one, a lot of people have privacy settings for their accounts, so only friends can see photos (even profile photos). But the more important reason is the sheer number of people - Imagine if you had "Joe Smith" on the contact list on your phone. There's no way for a sync program to know which one on facebook you meant unless you had them on a much smaller contact list of friends.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks

I don't see it happening. For one, a lot of people have privacy settings for their accounts, so only friends can see photos (even profile photos). But the more important reason is the sheer number of people - Imagine if you had "Joe Smith" on the contact list on your phone. There's no way for a sync program to know which one on facebook you meant unless you had them on a much smaller contact list of friends.

Agreed.

As for people with old numbers or random numbers that are added to your contacts, go into the contact, long-press on the number that is ACTUALLY their number, and select "make default." That should [I forget, but I'm pretty sure] put a checkmark by that number, and it'll, well, be the default number for that contact.

airtas

Reaction score
how do I remove all the **** that Facebook sync downloaded, like all mass Facebook contacts