USB tethering not working?

blitzgash

Reaction score
I like the stock usb tethering on Android's because it's plug n play most of the time.

Recently my usb tethering kept returning unidentified network on both my desktop and my pc.. and Now it will not run on anyones computer. The phone is rooted with stock firmware atm.. I plan on flashing a rom to it later when I have time to research them.

Was just curious if anyone else had the problem? or has fixed it? Without resorting to the tethering apps. (require a software on pc)

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
What's the stock tethering app called?
Also, I haven't heard of any app that requires a program on the computer as well... I just use one called mobile hotspot, but it requires root. I hear foxfi from the market is great and doesn't require root.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Sometimes I have to restart the phone sometimes to get it to work if I get a call or something that boots me off.

josh1980

Reaction score
I used the builtin app until mid January i think. It stopped working suddenly and it wasnt related to an update for my phone. I have friends that have used pdanet(works great but requires an app on your pc). Pdanet is not a true wifi tethering but will accomplish the same thing.

The app i have used recently since the builtin feature doesnt work is wifi tether. It can be found on the google codes website. The app is blocked from the market if you use verizon. Verizon doesnt like apps that add features they want you to pay for...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
B

blitzgash

Reaction score
Sorry, I ended up flashing to Eclipse, due to it being the only rom that was available for download at that time.

I'm impressed. It solved my usb tethering problem! Not sure if it was internal but every time I safe mode back to the stock firmware it doesn't work. I even tried using my backup from when I first rooted the phone and installed safestrap on it.

I'm happy now though. Thanks Eclipse devs! I owe you one.

vullithe

Reaction score
Well lightning struck my house and my router is fried.
Posting this from my phone.

I went to settings and checked 'usb tethering' on my droid2.
It said the tethering/hotspot was active, but my laptop showed no signs of attempting to connect to anything

Is there some step I'm forgetting?

deduct

Reaction score
Sorry, I ended up flashing to Eclipse, due to it being the only rom that was available for download at that time.

I'm impressed. It solved my usb tethering problem! Not sure if it was internal but every time I safe mode back to the stock firmware it doesn't work. I even tried using my backup from when I first rooted the phone and installed safestrap on it.

I'm happy now though. Thanks Eclipse devs! I owe you one.

I agree. Eclipse is the Best. I always have it in a slot. I'll try a different ROM now and then but I always end up back on eclipse. Nitro is an awesome dev.