USB connection

vaisforlovers

Reaction score
:icon_ banana:I have established an IP address. Downloaded FTP server but lost after this. Where do I go for user, password etc? I think this is way above my simple little head. Is there a FAQ or something that explains exactly how to transfer music, files using the SD card or anything to my phone?
Thanks
Joanne

Eric

Reaction score
Is this on an Eris? I thought all one had to do was connect it via the USB cable to your PC. The PC should automagically recognize it as new hardware. After it loads the drivers, I would think it would just show up as another drive, and then just use Windows Explorer to drag & drop files onto the card. Haven't tried it, but I would think that is how it should work.

mhotovec

Reaction score
Is this on an Eris? I thought all one had to do was connect it via the USB cable to your PC. The PC should automagically recognize it as new hardware. After it loads the drivers, I would think it would just show up as another drive, and then just use Windows Explorer to drag & drop files onto the card. Haven't tried it, but I would think that is how it should work.

Yep, that's it.
FTP type stuff isn't necessary, the computer will see you phone like 'jump drive'. Drag and drop.

OP
vaisforlovers

vaisforlovers

Reaction score
My laptop didn't recognize droid

I hooked my droid to my laptop last night and it wasn't recognized and the driver wasn't installed. What do I do now? And can music be transferred. Only thing I have is an iPod with songs on iTunes unfortunately. :rolleyes:
Thanks for ya'lls help.
Joanne

Eric

Reaction score
Hi Joanne, I don't know if the Eris player will recognize the iTunes format, or not. Apple seems to only like to let people use that with their hardware. Here's what I read in the manual. (It's online here: => Link to pdf When you connect your phone to the USB port of your computer, the phone should show a USB symbol in the status bar. (You know...that pitch fork looking symbol.) Then you have to open up the "Notification" panel on the phone, and tap on "USB connected", and then tap "Mount". See if that works. Eric

olinrich

Reaction score
In order for the computer to "see" the phone card, one must drag down the notification screen where the USB icon appears at top of home screen, select 'allow computer to access the card". Then select "mount". The new drive letter will appear in My Computer.

Reverse procedure when done.

OP
vaisforlovers

vaisforlovers

Reaction score
I have my droid mounted but I don't know how to

download files to it. What is file manager? I am at a loss here. (I asked almost same question on another thread but I can't find it. sorry for the duplicate) I don't think I am as dumb as I sound but I am certainly not a geek!:icon_ nono2:
Thanks for ya'lls help.
Joanne

scajjr

Reaction score
download files to it. What is file manager? I am at a loss here. (I asked almost same question on another thread but I can't find it. sorry for the duplicate) I don't think I am as dumb as I sound but I am certainly not a geek!:icon_ nono2:
Thanks for ya'lls help.
Joanne

Joanne I know this is a duplicate reply to the same question you asked in the other thread but I wasn't sure which one you'd follow so I'm posting it again in this thread.

File manager=Windows Explorer (in Vista/7 it's the folder icon on the taskbar on the bottom of the screen).

And yes once you mount the "drive" (the phone's SD card) Windows will show it as a drive letter in Explorer. So you can create folders, copy files from the PC to the phone, delete files, etc. It gets treated just like any other hard drive or flash dive would.

The phone doesn't have the ability to do the file management so it gets done in Windows while you have the phone connected as a "drive". Once the folders are created, files copied, then you un-mount the phone from the computer and the phone and it's apps can then use the files/music/video that you put on.

Sam

JonBattle

Reaction score
Im using Win 7 and the Droid. This worked at one time....now it doesnt. My Droid is connected via USB cable to my PC. I started PC fresh. It starts....recognizes Droid (via USB sounds). I go to Droid and click on Mount. Window pops on PC....What do you want to do.....I say "Explore" - Explorer window pops open...showing all the Droid SD card folders as Drive D. . However...when i try to do anything...the folders disappear and the PC says "Please insert a disk in Removable Disk D" -thats it. No Connection. I need one. Help !!

scajjr

Reaction score
I always close that window that pops up and go straight to Explorer but that's just me. Anyway I just hooked mine up, closed that pop-up window, opened Explorer, transferred a music file, unmounted phone, and had no problems.

Sam