Upgrading to JB and want to keep Root? Check this tip!

Reaction score
So in many other forums and also this one, I see people who updated JB via OTA or by downloading the update and flashing it through recovery. Some tips are saying for people to uninstall Safestrap recovery? and BS?

I don't have Safestrap nor BS [whatever that is] installed on my phone. Just wanted to mention that before I continued.

Anyways, one of the tips was to protect root if you already have it on ICS by using OTA Voodoo Rootkeeper. If you're rooted on ICS, just install it and press on Protect Root. Here's the tip that worked for me. When you are going to install JB, DON'T PRESS THE OPTION TO TEMPORARILY UNROOT IN OTA Voodoo Keeper. Just protect your root and install JB. Once its installed, go back to OTA Rootkeeper and press Restore Root. Voila, you'll still be rooted. If you decide to temporarily unroot then re-root once you installed JB using OTA Rootkeeper, you'll most likely be one of those people saying they lose root.

giant25

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
So in many other forums and also this one, I see people who updated JB via OTA or by downloading the update and flashing it through recovery. Some tips are saying for people to uninstall Safestrap recovery? and BS?

I don't have Safestrap nor BS [whatever that is] installed on my phone. Just wanted to mention that before I continued.

Anyways, one of the tips was to protect root if you already have it on ICS by using OTA Voodoo Rootkeeper. If you're rooted on ICS, just install it and press on Protect Root. Here's the tip that worked for me. When you are going to install JB, DON'T PRESS THE OPTION TO TEMPORARILY UNROOT IN OTA Voodoo Keeper. Just protect your root and install JB. Once its installed, go back to OTA Rootkeeper and press Restore Root. Voila, you'll still be rooted. If you decide to temporarily unroot then re-root once you installed JB using OTA Rootkeeper, you'll most likely be one of those people saying they lose root.

That's a good tip, but many other tutorials on this topic also stress that you need to update your SU binary BEFORE using OTA RookKeeper (by Supercurio - Project VooDoo). To do this for Superuser, open Superuser, press the Info tab, and press "tap to check for updates" under the "su binary" line. Press Update if there is one available. For reference, my binary was old, and updating it put it on v3.1.1. Similar steps exist for SuperSU (alternative to Superuser) but I don't have it. I then went to OTA RootKeeper and pressed Protect Root as you mentioned. I pretty much performed the steps you did from then on, except that I rebooted after pressing "Restore Root." I think this last step might be unnecessary, but someone else I know suggested it so I played along. Good luck folks.

OP
xPlatinum-Androidx
Reaction score
Oh yeah I had also updated SuperUser a few days before deciding to download the JB update.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I'm not too awful concerned, I haven't been rooted since the last update pushed. How many times historically over the last 10 devices has a pushed update permanently stopped root from being reacquired again through a new exploit?

buellboy9

Reaction score
Got the OTA update this morning. I used SafeStrap to uninstall the recovery (NOT the entire app!! Just the recovery environment) and used Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper to temporarily disable root (after confirming that I had the latest version of SU... that hasn't changed in MONTHS).

After the update I had to delete and recreate the "Power" widget and put the new "Camera" app back on my home screen. I then used Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper to restore root, and then reinstalled the Safestrap recovery environment. For once, everything worked EXACTLY as it was supposed to. :icon_ banana:

Scribble

Reaction score
Uninstalled Safestrap recovery, and the App, updated SU Binary, and protected Root through OTA Root Keeper- and it appears I've kept root...

So far JB seems nightmarishly slow on my Bionic... I'll give it a bit to see if it's just settling in... But I might be headed back to Cyanogenmod soon. :p

buellboy9

Reaction score
No issues with performance here, BUT I did notice the News/Weather app consistently crashes on start up, and the Amazon Kindle app will also crash a minute or two after you've opened your "Archives." Hoping those get fixed soon.

Scribble

Reaction score
Anyone having wifi issues? I'm sitting right next to my router, and I seem to be getting almost no signal... Downloads are going extremely slow.

Reaction score
I manually updated using the zip file that was posted on DF a few days ago. I was able to keep root and it is a working g root. Here's what I did:

1. Backed up all data
2. FXZ back to the stock ICS build (I had pushed the Google now feature so I couldn't update without erasing everything)
2. Rooted my blank ICS using razors edge tool
4. Backed up root with the root keeper app (voodoo)
5. Manually updated via recovery
6. Restored root with root keeper
7. Reboot

Root works!

When I tested to see if root really worked it took a few moments for root permissions to be granted, but it did.

Scribble

Reaction score
Root Checker says I have Root... but for some reason System Tuner seems to think I don't.

drust

Reaction score
seems like they are not caring much about root anymore. i didnt even fxz to stock.

all i did was restore frozen apps and it installed
used vodoo to restore root and i was up and running no problems

buellboy9

Reaction score
I didn't even bother "unfreezing" the frozen apps. It installed anyway.

lgalcarte

Reaction score

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

There is no option TO PROTECT ROOT...:icon_eek: