Upgrading - need advice please! :)

missrachel

Reaction score
Hello all! I am currently due for an upgrade and I need some advice from the Android community....

I've been rockin' a rooted OG Droid since it came out. I absolutely love it, and I'm gonna miss the hell out of my LiMod pink life theme, but I want to go ahead and upgrade in order to lock in 29.99 unlimited data pricing. 4G is expected to be in my hometown within the next few months, so I am leaning toward a 4G phone - don't want to be left behind, also can't pass up 29.99 unlimited 4G data.

I'm thinking HTC Thunderbolt - I want the ability to root and de-bloat the phone. Haven't had the chance to play with a Droid Charge, but I don't like the physical buttons or UI. I don't do much gaming so I'm not sure I care about having a dual-core processor, I'm hearing the TBolt is pretty snappy. However, I don't want to be seeing lags, bugginess, reboots, etc... I want a nice clean phone that's quick and does its job...

What do you guys think? TBolt? Something else? Is there another 4G phone coming out soon that I'm missing (not the LG Revolution)? With summer breathing down our necks and the impending doom of tiered data pricing, I'm ready to jump onto the 4G bandwagon and quick!

Any advice/input is, as always, greatly appreciated! Thanks all! dancedroid

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If it's between the Charge and the Tbolt, it's no contest IMO, Tbolt all the way.

The only things the Charge have over the Tbolt are a better screen (super AMOLED), an HDMI out and supposedly better auto quality.

The Tbolt is superior in every other aspect IMO.

Wonmotyme

Reaction score
Except the issues that plague the phone! Do yourself a favor and search the forums and do some research. I say this as a current Thunderbolt owner!

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
Imho...
The charge blows...
I had a chance to mess with it day one and the UI and screen response is a throw back to the telegraph! I have a DX and will move up to the bionic/targa when avail but if needed now,I'd deff chose the TB....
Luck with your decision!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
missrachel

missrachel

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses so far. I would definitely choose the TBolt over the Charge, just wondering if there are any other better options I am missing.

Wonmotyme, is your TBolt rooted? I've read about some bugs TBolt owners have been experiencing but from what I have gathered, most of the issues disappear when you root and load a custom ROM. I sure hope this is the case!!!

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Except the issues that plague the phone! Do yourself a favor and search the forums and do some research. I say this as a current Thunderbolt owner!

I really hope you are not telling me to do my research?

My Tbolt is pretty much perfect. No random reboots, or any of the other issues being reported. Maybe that's cause I know what I'm doing and read plenty before doing anything new. GPS was taking a long time to lock, but now that I'm running gingerbread on my Tbolt (something that any samsung phone will be hard pressed to get anytime soon, judging by how long it took the facinate to get froyo) it locks instantly. The only other issue I've heard of is battery life....guess what, all 4g phones will have bad battery life till google and the carriers get better acquainted with 4g.

Wonmotyme

Reaction score
It is not rooted. It is something I have seriously considered but have not pulled the trigger because I have never rooted a phone and I do not want to run the risk of screwing it up.

Wonmotyme

Reaction score
*I really hope you are not telling me to do my research?

No, I wasnt addressing you! I like you, were adding comments to aid the OP. So, no need to be defensive.

*My Tbolt is pretty much perfect. No random reboots, or any of the other issues being reported. Maybe that's cause I know what I'm doing and read plenty before doing anything new.

Aside from rooting, I too know what I am doing. The Reboots were never an issue until I received the OTA. This is just the "straw that broke the camel's back" for me. I defended my Bolt through the other issues, horrible battery life, gps lock, data signal, lower memory than advertised, inability to use phone Mic when using head set etc.

Wonmotyme

Reaction score
As far as 4G phones, these are currently your only options. I don't recall any others that will be out for a few months.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Im pretty sure some issues with the thunderbolt could hit people in the face and they would still deny that they were having any. Obviously some people may not have the issues that others have, but the sheer number of issues consistently posted about should say enough about the issues with 4g right now.