Upgrading in Dec need help

rebrn

Reaction score
Hello,

I am due for an upgrade in December. I am on the VZW network. I realize that this is very early and potentially there may be several other phones released between now and December. However I have a very specific need for my phone, it HAS to be global, and I doubt there will be a lot of global phone releases between now and December. Ok so here is my situation and the questions I have.

I have joined the military and will most likely be going overseas sometime near the end of 2011 or in 2012. So I really want a global phone and I would like to stick with Android (or the iPhone - not sure if it is global though). Basically I don't want to go back to the Blackberry or to the Palm systems.

So first question is - does the droid global work in the Middle East and or Europe?

Second question - is there a special plan I need to get for voice and text to avoid having an insanely high bill? I know I will need to get some sort of global data plan to avoid the roaming charges with data, I am assuming I will need to have something similar in place for the voice and text plans. Does anyone have any idea what those plans cost on VZW?

Third question - What is your opinion of the Droid 2 Global? I am currently using the Moto Droid (first generation) and love it. My husband was able to upgrade in Jan and went from Blackberry to Droid 2 (R2D2 model), from what I can tell the Droid 2 is very similar to the Droid 1 (my current phone) just a little bit more powerful. And I didn't see any difference between the Droid 2 and the Droid 2 Global but wanted to verify.

Finally, I am saying the Droid 2 Global only because I am unaware of any other global Android phone currently available. Is there any other global Android phone currently available on the VZW network?

Thanks

want a droid

Reaction score
Tbh, there will be a lot of advancements and releases between now and your December upgrade (including Global phones). By the time December 2011 rolls around the D2G will most likely be obsolete.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
First, thank you for your service to our Country.

I have to assume the word Global means exactly that. But to be honest I'm not certain.

Yes, there are special plans. You will need to call Verizon for information.

I would say the D2G is the same as my D2 except it has a slightly larger processor and of course is Global. You will see a lot of Motoblur and bloatware as opposed to the D1. You can root, it's easy to do but there are limited choices for custom ROMs.

For your first two questions you might as well hit 611. They can give you the direct dirt on that stuff. When it comes to an issue with your Droid we're good but on billing I always recommend a call to VZW.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tbh, there will be a lot of advancements and releases between now and your December upgrade (including Global phones). By the time December 2011 rolls around the D2G will most likely be obsolete.

There will be some form of it out there that will be similar. He is just trying to get some basic information for what's out now.

xPhoenix777

Reaction score
I know you want to ask us, but talk with a VZW rep on the term "global" to get rates, usage areas, etc. As much as I would like to say the D2G will be your best bet, there are lots coming out soon that will be global, like the Droid X2 and more. Just keep watching VZW's site for now and keeping up in the forums.

Also, thanks for serving your country!

OP
rebrn

rebrn

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I planned to talk it over with verizon regarding the billing I just thought I would check here first, to see if anyone had rough estimates. I like verizon, but sometimes I find when I call in the sales people can be a little pushy. I guess the main thing is has anyone actually used this phone outside of North America, and if so, was there any problems? Also I know that there will most likely be an upgraded global phone out within the year, but as I have no experience with global phones just wanted to get some advice on what I should be looking for.

Thanks again.

BBlack19

Reaction score
I am in the US Air Force and in the middle east right now. I have the D2G and it's working perfectly over here! From what I was told there's really no package deal for the phone calls and texts. Text messages are 56 cents to send and 5 cents to received but the data plan is totally different. I have an unlimited global data plan for mine but from what I was told that plan went away 16 Jan 2011. Out here it's now pay as you go so might not be worth it. I was granfathered in so I lucked out but I also heard that if enough people call and complain about that plan being taken away, they might add it back and it might be back by the time you upgrade. I know right now I pay an extra 35 dollars on top of my original 29.99 stateside data plan so unlimited for about 65 is worth it over here. Good luck to you and hopefully I answered a couple questions for ya!

silver6054

Reaction score
I am in the US Air Force and in the middle east right now. I have the D2G and it's working perfectly over here! From what I was told there's really no package deal for the phone calls and texts. Text messages are 56 cents to send and 5 cents to received but the data plan is totally different. I have an unlimited global data plan for mine but from what I was told that plan went away 16 Jan 2011. Out here it's now pay as you go so might not be worth it. I was granfathered in so I lucked out but I also heard that if enough people call and complain about that plan being taken away, they might add it back and it might be back by the time you upgrade. I know right now I pay an extra 35 dollars on top of my original 29.99 stateside data plan so unlimited for about 65 is worth it over here. Good luck to you and hopefully I answered a couple questions for ya!
Yes, and the D2G works fine in Europe as well. As BBlack19 indicates though, the unlimited Global data plan has gone away and the new rates are, um, very very high, e.g. $20+ per MB in many places. (So its gone from unlimited for $65 to about 3.25 MB for $65!, or $100 for 70MB in Europe).

So whichever global phone you end up with, it's worth trying to convince Verizon to let you have the global plan. The success stories I have heard was in one case for someone in the military (so press that), and others who had had the plan at one stage and called around the time it went away.

If that fails, and the plan at the end of 2011 is no better, the alternative is to look at local SIMs in the country(ies) you are in. These are often much much much cheaper for calls and now for data, but you have to find them, and you cannot keep your US number.

OP
rebrn

rebrn

Reaction score
Yes, and the D2G works fine in Europe as well. As BBlack19 indicates though, the unlimited Global data plan has gone away and the new rates are, um, very very high, e.g. $20+ per MB in many places. (So its gone from unlimited for $65 to about 3.25 MB for $65!, or $100 for 70MB in Europe).

So whichever global phone you end up with, it's worth trying to convince Verizon to let you have the global plan. The success stories I have heard was in one case for someone in the military (so press that), and others who had had the plan at one stage and called around the time it went away.

If that fails, and the plan at the end of 2011 is no better, the alternative is to look at local SIMs in the country(ies) you are in. These are often much much much cheaper for calls and now for data, but you have to find them, and you cannot keep your US number.

Thanks to you both. That helps out a lot. I am not going to call verizon regarding the plans until closer to the time. As you said things may change and they may bring the global data plan back by then, here's hoping! Also I heard a rumor that if you go in with your military ID you have more plan options regarding global options. Don't know if it is true or not but worth a shot. As I don't go to basic until April I figured I would wait until all that was done and complete before attempting to do anything with verizon. At least I know the phone does work and more importantly that VZW has service available in the possible areas.

Last edited:

ripxoid

Reaction score
As a service member I do know if you go in with your military ID go any major cell provider you can get put on the corprate rated plans. This will save you a lot of money both here and overseas. HOWEVER, your best bet is if you get sent overseas to suspend your contract on a military suspension. I've done it many times with ATT and I can't think that it would be any harder for VZW. Personally I always got either a foreign sim or a foreign phone al togather.

As far as the middle east, be aware of the fact that it is centcom policy that you cannot take a cellular device to a combat zone. They allowed iPhones and such as long as they were deactivated and in airplane mode. Getting caught using a cell phone to make a call could get you in deep trouble (read: court martial, or NJP).

BTW the corporate rate is 15% for vzw and your accessories carry a 25% discount as well in store. Other providers give tiered discounts like ATT it's 15% on the voice portion and 20% on data/text addons. With both you get access to the corporate customer support instead of the regular customer support. The discount doesn't end when you get out of the military, you can use your DD214 to get the same discount as well.

MARPAT

Ps. I think we still can get the unlimited global data on the corprate tier plans.

Sent from my cool running rooted Droid 2 Global running fission 2.4.3

OP
rebrn

rebrn

Reaction score
thanks for the info ripxoid. I am going in as a nurse, although I suppose it is possible, I don't think I will be many combat situations. Most likely posted to a hospital overseas. But in eithor case, I really just want to have a phone available mostly to call home on the rare occasions that I would be able to. I do realize that the use of cell phones would be strickly monitored and very restricted. But it would be nice to have the option available IF the situation arose where I could use it. I don't even know if I will be overseas, I won't really know much until probably November. I was just wanting to know the options. By the looks of the cost on VZW I think you are right by suggesting cancelling the plan and getting a local sim or local cell phone.

ripxoid

Reaction score
Might I suggest getting, a skype account. It's what I use for a home phone overseas. It's 30 bucks a year for an incoming number local to your stateside address with voicemail and caller id. Then it's another 25 a year for unlimited calling to us & canada numbers. All you need is an internet connection, laptop and a headset. I also have a cordless phone I plug into my Router that works with skype. Just a thought I used mine on all my deployments and overseas tours over the last 7 years as well as in the states works great.

MARPAT

apollyon0810

Reaction score
Wow really? I just returned from Iraq in October and everybody has a cell phone there. Worked on an Army base, and they were definitely CENTCOM. The unit would actually purchase local phones and plans for soldiers and officers to use. If you don't get issued one, nobody will stop you from buying your own. But as far as bringing one from the states... I used my BB for over a year just as an alarm clock. The international use of VZW phones is really only intended for vacations and the like. Nothing permenant. I would just get Skype and a local phone. Or unlock your D2G and get a local SIM. Using VZW for any length of time overseas is pretty ignorant if you care about money.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

ripxoid

Reaction score
Wow really? I just returned from Iraq in October and everybody has a cell phone there. Worked on an Army base, and they were definitely CENTCOM. The unit would actually purchase local phones and plans for soldiers and officers to use. If you don't get issued one, nobody will stop you from buying your own. But as far as bringing one from the states... I used my BB for over a year just as an alarm clock. The international use of VZW phones is really only intended for vacations and the like. Nothing permenant. I would just get Skype and a local phone. Or unlock your D2G and get a local SIM. Using VZW for any length of time overseas is pretty ignorant if you care about money.

Maybe its a Navy/Marine Corps policy then but I know that we were told over and over that it was a not alowed at all for us in Iraq.

MARPAT

apollyon0810

Reaction score

Maybe its a Navy/Marine Corps policy then but I know that we were told over and over that it was a not alowed at all for us in Iraq.

MARPAT

Perhaps. My company issued me two cell phones, two laptops, and an Iridium satphone.