Upgrading from the Motorola Razr to the Galaxy S4

Raydee35

Reaction score
I am going to upgrade today through the Verizon Edge plan so I can get a new phone every year. Is there anything that I should look out for with the S4? I know its been out for a little while now and I am guessing if there were any bugs that they are sorted out by now. I am going to miss the Motorola smart actions but I think I will like the S4.

Last edited:

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can get an app called Tasker to cover the actions that smart actions covered.

I have been very happy with the S3 and would have looked at the S4 if it had not been for the Note 3. I think you'll like the S4 a lot!!

OP
R

Raydee35

Reaction score
I will def look for that app. I would have been all over the Note 3 next month but it is just too big for me to carry on my job. The S4 is just about the perfect size for me.

bbtkd

Reaction score
I am going to upgrade today through the Verizon Edge plan so I can get a new phone every year. Is there anything that I should look out for with the S4? I know its been out for a little while now and I am guessing if there were any bugs that they are sorted out by now. I am going to miss the Motorola smart actions but I think I will like the S4.

I moved from a Bionic to the S4, and the Samsung is worlds better in performance, screen, battery life, etc. My wife has the Razr Maxx and the other day I had to look into an app problem on it, and it further reinforced my appreciation for the S4; the speed, screen size, and feel.

alhadee12

Reaction score
I've noticed an increase of people wanted to trade their S4 due to different issues, but the lag is what I've heard a lot. Is that a big issue?

m3incorp

Reaction score
I haven't had a problem with lag. I think it will boil down to what apps you put on it.

GVLBob

Reaction score
I've noticed an increase of people wanted to trade their S4 due to different issues, but the lag is what I've heard a lot. Is that a big issue?

I've never had a problem with lag and haven't really seen a lot of complaints. But if you want things to be snappier, there are adjustments you can make in the Developers options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

bbtkd

Reaction score
I've had my S4 for 3 months and the only lag I've seen was in gallery when on my home wifi network. Turns out one of my systems was offering up video via DLNA, and when I was in Gallery it tried to download it using Nearby Services. I turned DLNA service off in the Plex server on the PC and the problem went away.

Any device can experience lag and it is most certainly some type of resource shortage caused by apps; network bandwidth, CPU, memory, or storage space/bandwidth. There are a number of apps to help figure it out.

alhadee12

Reaction score
I guess it may be hit or miss with that particular problem. It's actually kept me away from it. I've been using the Moto X and LG G2.

Overland1

Reaction score
I haven't had a problem with lag. I think it will boil down to what apps you put on it.

Exactly... and how much worse can it be than (for example) a Droid Bionic? :icon_eek:

I am also considering upgrading from a Bionic to the S4, but it would mean losing the unlimited data and gaining unlimited text messaging. Considering I have never come close to even 1 GB of data in any month, the cost should not be too bad. I rarely, if ever, use wi-fi for downloading anything... if I did that, I could probably get by with even less data billed per month.

The Bionic has actually been a good phone, but I am getting the itch to upgrade.

segen77

Reaction score
I am also considering this phone. I currently have the bionic and it's so slow I can't take it any more. I've officially decided that I hate IOS 7, so apple is just out. Never cared much for apple products anyway.

My big concern with this phone is if I'm going to regret getting a phone that is 6 months old when the S5 comes out in another 6 months.

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
Having switched from the Rezound to the S4 (which I've had for three or four weeks now) I couldn't be happier. It's simply a race horse. Does whatever you need whenever you need it. I got that super thin gorilla glass cover for it (amazingly thin/unnoticeable) and it's good to go. You'll love it. Geez I sound like a commercial.

Last edited:

bbtkd

Reaction score
I am also considering this phone. I currently have the bionic and it's so slow I can't take it any more. I've officially decided that I hate IOS 7, so apple is just out. Never cared much for apple products anyway.

My big concern with this phone is if I'm going to regret getting a phone that is 6 months old when the S5 comes out in another 6 months.

Yeah, there is always a newer/better phone just around the corner. If that bothers you, then you may be a candidate for the annual upgrade program that carriers have recently rolled out. It will cost you, but will keep you current. You might be able to refresh your Bionic by culling your apps and getting rid of some, then do a FDR. Might get you through until the S5.

segen77

Reaction score
Yeah. I've been removing apps and trying to make it work. I'm not the kind of person that has to have the latest and greatest every 6 months. I'm actually the opposite. I hate paying so dang much for a phone, and would love one to last me 3 years. That's why when I do buy, I want it to be the most up to date. I love the android OS, but it seems to me that about a year after I've owned any android phone an OS update comes out that basically kills my phone. The way I see it, I'm only 6-8 months away from the S4 getting screwed by an OS update. Hopefully others dont have this issue, but it has happened to both my wife and I with every phone over the last 4-5 years.

bbtkd

Reaction score
Yeah. I've been removing apps and trying to make it work. I'm not the kind of person that has to have the latest and greatest every 6 months. I'm actually the opposite. I hate paying so dang much for a phone, and would love one to last me 3 years. That's why when I do buy, I want it to be the most up to date. I love the android OS, but it seems to me that about a year after I've owned any android phone an OS update comes out that basically kills my phone. The way I see it, I'm only 6-8 months away from the S4 getting screwed by an OS update. Hopefully others dont have this issue, but it has happened to both my wife and I with every phone over the last 4-5 years.

The S4 won't get screwed out of updates that soon as I believe S3 is still getting them. You want the latest but don't want to pay much, though those are contrary goals. Right now, the S4 is a current phone that should get updates another two years, and I don't believe there is anything better at this point. Even when the S5 comes out, the S4 will still be sold for a while and will remain viable, much as the S3 still is. The S3 viability has hurt S4 sales based on comments of friends. I believe that if you shop around, the S4 can be had for $99. Why continue to suffer with the Bionic? I was going to hold out for the Moto X, but when they delayed it 6 months as is typical with Moto, I knew it would be somewhat dated when it eventually did. I was not disappointed i my move to the S4 when I finally saw the Moto X come out.