Upgrade to Droid X or wait for Thunderbolt

pumpkidroid

Reaction score
It was the same price upgrading to the X as the D2 (which I wanted) and for the 2. Went for the X, top of the line for now. I thought about upgrading to the iphone or Bionic but I didn't want to use my old EnV until such time.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Honestly, to the OP and any others reading and responding in this thread...For the next 6 months at least, the Droid X will still be able to hold its own on Verizons network as well as in everyday use running the apps that are currently and for the most part coming to the Market.

Now, after that 6 months...the water is gonna get a bit murkier, and there should be some noticeable changes that may make these newer phones more attractive...at least I hope here is.

If you get a DX that works as well as the one I purchased ($99 with my E2 upgrade from VZW three months after launch..score!), you will not be disappointed in the least...I have had absolutely no issues or flakiness so far...and I dont expect any as well.

Good luck and when ya get your phones...jump back here to the DX forum if ya have any questions or need any help...someone will be Johnny-on-the-spot!

Chris-pee

Reaction score
Go on craigslist, buy a nice used DX. That way you still have a dx, havent used your upgrade, but you will spend a little more.

phishfi

Reaction score
Swappa.com has a very serious set of requirements for phone sales. I'd check there before craigslist. In fact I think a brand new one is 300

Sent from my "Stock" DX

SoDroid

Reaction score
I got a new DX on ebay about 2 weeks ago for $280. I saw one go for $247. If you aim for an auction that ends early morning you can get one for less than $300 off contract and keep your upgrade. I love the X, considered the Thunderbolt but ultimately decided that I really want dual core. So ebay and craigslist are good options.

echonaut

Reaction score
This is certainly something you might want to consider.

The Thunderbolt is reportedly having ABYSMAL battery life. 2-3 hours and the battery is empty, by these accounts. It might be something to consider, since -- after disabling Swpye (it uses a lot of battery, for some reason) -- I can be at 20% battery after 15+ hours of moderate to heavy usage on my Droid X (Libert 1.5).

rlarson_mn

Reaction score
I got a new DX on ebay about 2 weeks ago for $280. I saw one go for $247. If you aim for an auction that ends early morning you can get one for less than $300 off contract and keep your upgrade. I love the X, considered the Thunderbolt but ultimately decided that I really want dual core. So ebay and craigslist are good options.

Interesting! I just got a X issued in November 2010 from eBay with a media dock and car charger two weeks ago for less than $250. Had a OD since last May and enjoyed playing with ROMs. It got to the point where silty the apps I use on a daily basis I was needing more RAM and a larger screen. My X is rooted and a joy to use. Still have my upgrade from Verizon saved for a X2, Bionix or something else. I am in the same condition mentioned another place in this post with 4G being at least 24 months away. Until the apps are revised to take advantage of a dual core processor and there is reliable 4G in my area I see no reason to upgrade other than perhaps next September to the X2 if available then.

OP
Chillout

Chillout

Reaction score
My new X should be here today...I can't survive without Swype, but for the life of me I can't figure out why it always uses such a high percentage of resources on my phone.

phishfi

Reaction score
Just in case you haven't used it yet. The DX stock keyboard is actually the highest rated android keyboard. I have tried swype a LOT when it first came out, and more recently when the guys at sdx ported it to the samsung moment, but I just can't get myself to like it... to each his own, I just thought you may want to give the standard kb a shot...

Sent from my "Stock" DX

Reaction score
Just last week I upgraded to a Droid X over an original MotoDroid. I debated it for a while, due to the fact that the X has been out for 6 or 7 months at this point, plus the locked bootloader -- I loved being able to load all sorts of new roms on my MotoDroid.

That being said, I'm a huge fan of the Droid X. I was considering the Thunderbolt, but after a bit of research I began to realize that the Thunderbolt is using year-old tech that has had a slight upgrade. (RAM, and the CPU was *slightly* upgraded; it's really just the same thing as the EVO with some relatively superficial improvements.)

Then there's the issue that, overall, Motorola makes handsets that are of a far superior build quality than HTC.

I'm incredibly disappointed with HTC's offerings. I bought the DX off-contract (on Craigslist for a bit more, but still, $300 for an un-used DX + dock isn't too bad) so that I'll be able to upgrade maybe in another year or so.

HTC won device manufacturer of the year, and as far as I'm concerned the next generation of droids aren't going to be different at all.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Reaction score
Just last week I upgraded to a Droid X over an original MotoDroid. I debated it for a while, due to the fact that the X has been out for 6 or 7 months at this point, plus the locked bootloader -- I loved being able to load all sorts of new roms on my MotoDroid.

That being said, I'm a huge fan of the Droid X. I was considering the Thunderbolt, but after a bit of research I began to realize that the Thunderbolt is using year-old tech that has had a slight upgrade. (RAM, and the CPU was *slightly* upgraded; it's really just the same thing as the EVO with some relatively superficial improvements.)

Then there's the issue that, overall, Motorola makes handsets that are of a far superior build quality than HTC.

I'm incredibly disappointed with HTC's offerings. I bought the DX off-contract (on Craigslist for a bit more, but still, $300 for an un-used DX + dock isn't too bad) so that I'll be able to upgrade maybe in another year or so.

HTC won device manufacturer of the year, and as far as I'm concerned the next generation of droids aren't going to be different at all.

You might want to check out the video on wirefly that compares the Evo and the Tb, you'd be surprised to know that just because they both have a kickstand and a 4.3 display doesn't mean their the same, the tb has a next generation processor, camera, an slcd res, a dolby sorround sound speaker behind the bulkier kickstand,
And skype integrated into the OS.
I'm not an HTC fan boy, I'm just stating pure facts, btw if the Tbs hardware is over one year old then what does that mean the X's hardware's age is? My guess, over a year and a half.

Reaction score

The Thunderbolt is reportedly having ABYSMAL battery life. 2-3 hours and the battery is empty, by these accounts. It might be something to consider, since -- after disabling Swpye (it uses a lot of battery, for some reason) -- I can be at 20% battery after 15+ hours of moderate to heavy usage on my Droid X (Libert 1.5).

That was only on 4g, the problem has been resolved now, and because the Tbs hardware is updated it gets better battery life than an X does on 3g,

Reaction score

That was only on 4g, the problem has been resolved now, and because the Tbs hardware is updated it gets better battery life than an X does on 3g,

But only when it is on the 3g network does it gett better battery life than the X, on the 4g network anything will drain the juice fast

vzdroid13

Reaction score
Sorry, but its a little late to get s DX. I believe that the date of death for the X is 3.31.11 (meaning it will get no mor updates and VZ will basically forget about it), less than a month away. The Thunderbolt, Inc S, Xperia Play, and DX2 are coming soon anyway. Just wait a little longer. Im using a D1 also.

qman66

Reaction score
Sorry, but its a little late to get s DX. I believe that the date of death for the X is 3.31.11 (meaning it will get no mor updates and VZ will basically forget about it), less than a month away. The Thunderbolt, Inc S, Xperia Play, and DX2 are coming soon anyway. Just wait a little longer. Im using a D1 also.

how do u know the date of death for droid x is 3.31.11???