Upgrade to Droid X or wait for Thunderbolt

OP
Chillout

Chillout

Reaction score
Thanks for the info everyone, I'm going to do some more digging and see what type of prices I can find. Im thinking if I do find a droid X, not buying through Verizon, it wouldn't affect my "new every two" normal deal and then when the Tbolt or the next greatest thing comes out I could arguably upgrade again.

The prices I'm finding Droid X's for right are hard to beat. Are there prices for the Thunderbolt yet or any of the other phones you guys mentioned waiting for? I've found a few sites so far that have given indications of prices but nothing very concrete.

If the Droid X is as good as everyone says it is I figure I'd do well with it regardless. Regardless there's no way I can afford to keep up with the latest and greatest phones every 6 months so any of the good ones now would serve me well I'm sure.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
*Sound of reason sticking its ugly head in the door.....*

If you continually wait to get the newest. fastest, most awesomest(<--my word) phone, you will never get a new phone...

Yes, these new phones coming may have a dual core processor...but there are no apps right now to take advantage of them...so whats the point? If thats your selling point, you might as well wait another 6 months or so until the Quad Core Tegra 2 chips are out...or 9-12 months until the Kal-El chips are out....etc, etc, etc...

Yes, these new phones may ship with more RAM...and again I ask, what is the direct advantage on a phone operating system? At this time, the only real benefit will be in app loading times..and that will be negligible. These are phones first after all...as much extra "stuff" they can do, their main job is to make and receive phone calls...this does not require massive amounts of RAM...

3) Yes, some of these phones are 4G LTE capable phones... <----Did you see what I wrote there? Thats right...4G LTE capable...if you live in a 4G area and the service is up and running properly...if it isnt, the phone is 3G backwards compatible...but at what cost for the device?

4) Yes, some of these phones will have super catch me, ______ me graphics processors for gaming....and I again remind you that this is primarily a phone...a communication device...its not supposed to be an XBox 360 with a phone attached to it... Something has to be sacrificed in order for all these "blingy-bling" extras to function properly..signal quality, GPS functionality, WiFi connectivity...all which need to be seen in the real world before dropping $500-$700 on a new device.

5) There is nothing so far other than Front Facing Cameras and 4G LTE connectivity that these phones might do, that my trusty Droid X cant do..today, just as it sits here on my desk beside me.

6) Its your money...spend it as you see fit..but dont let some forum poster with glazed eyes try to sway you to new, unproven tech...nor slander 6 month old proven tech, especially if he/she isnt using that 6 month old tech...:)

phishfi

Reaction score
My bad dude. I should have mentioned this already. Amazon's selling the DX for a penny as either a line upgrade or a new account, so check there if you plan on buying this bad boy....

Sent from my "Stock" DX

phishfi

Reaction score
Bb, I understand your statement. I am one those with the 6 mo old tech, having just bought the DX about 2 weeks ago. This is a great device. My point is simply that if you're sitting on a still-relevant device and you're willing to wait it out for high-tech stuff, my suggestion is to wait and get a dual-core. I came from sprint where my wife and I had the samsung intercept and the samsung moment respectively. I was NOT willing to wait for dual-core, but wanted something that would at least get gingerbread. As a person coming from the original android device era (moment shipped with android 1.6) I know how quickly these things come and go. Once the manufacturer loses interest in their devices, updates stop and it hits its shelflife. I just want the op to feel like he's making a good 2-year decision...

Sent from my "Stock" DX

thinman72069

Reaction score
The X can be found much cheaper through alternate sources rather than VZW.
I got mine at Costco with the accessory pack for $50+tax.
Dell has it right now for $20.. wirefly is $20 as well I believe.

Just check out the retailers before you buy.. no reason to pay $150-$200 from VZW when you can find it for less elsewhere.

Shnikeys!!! I got my DX at Costco for $149. 99 just a few days before Christmas and I thought I had the deal of the century... at that time it was.
What a difference a few months makes. Oh well, I wouldn't have been able to wait any longer anyhow.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
Chillout

Chillout

Reaction score
Great information everyone, I appreciate it.

Given the fact that I am sitting on "old" technology as we speak with my Droid, having a dual core would be sick but not something I need to really wait for. Overall I can't really complain about my droid, being rooted I have gingerbread running just fine right now. On a Droid X having root capability gives me all the options out there for any future releases that will come out like ice cream, lollipop, or brownies ;) LOL.

My wife is happy with her LG ally, and in fact doesn't even want my droid when I do upgrade. I will keep this unit as a spare phone in case I need it but the more I look at the Droid X and it's capabilites the more I like it. I usually kept phones for about 2 years however that was back before smart phones. I've had my droid for a year and half now and while it still performs admirably, I know I'm ready for the next upgrade. I could justify waiting for just about any phone in the future but given what the X can do now for what I need it to do (which is the main thing), I think it will work out nicely.

4G would be nice but quite honestly I'm on Wifi probably 70% of the time anyways. At work I can use the wifi and at home I'm always on it so the only time 4G would really benefit me is when I'm out and about, which for me isn't that ofent. When I am out I'm not usually doing anything that intensive.

Last edited:

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I just jumped from the OG Droid in January to the X and man do I love it! Super fast!! Root it, freeze a few things and it is as snappy as anyone could want. I have the Liberty rom (blurless) and have it OC'd to 1.25 and every action is pretty much instant.

OP
Chillout

Chillout

Reaction score
I just jumped from the OG Droid in January to the X and man do I love it! Super fast!! Root it, freeze a few things and it is as snappy as anyone could want. I have the Liberty rom (blurless) and have it OC'd to 1.25 and every action is pretty much instant.

That one seems to pretty popular with X users, I'm reading up on it now.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C

That one seems to pretty popular with X users, I'm reading up on it now.

It is pretty cool! I have to warn you though, with all of the themes/options in Liberty, it has been hard to put my phone down for more than 5 minutes!

STIDRIVER

Reaction score
My bad dude. I should have mentioned this already. Amazon's selling the DX for a penny as either a line upgrade or a new account, so check there if you plan on buying this bad boy....

Sent from my "Stock" DX

I would probably hop on that deal.. Just checked though and it shows I'm not eligable for upgrade. I'm only at my annual upgrade though (not 2 year)...

Tinninches

Reaction score
My upgrade became available on Feb 5th. I was contemplating holding out upgrading to the Thunderbolt until I to found out that it was running old guts. That being said, it was also going to cost (imo) $250 +/-.

So once I compared the ease of rooting amongst all the current droids and took into account I can upgrade every 10 months, spending the $99 on a Droid X now and being able to upgrade to something bigger and badder Dec 11th will suit me just fine.

But if you have to wait every 2 years to upgrade and keep pushing off to wait for the new best thing, then you're (imo) just spinning your wheels. Get the X now and upgrade in 2 years to something x2 as nice at that time.

OP
Chillout

Chillout

Reaction score
I've decided I'm going with the X, probably place the order tomorrow morning. I think given the fact that I can get it for such a good price, and as powerful as it is, it's a win/win situation for me.

I was doing some reading up today on the root process and how easy it is on the X, and the great roms out there. I'm pretty stoked about receiving it early next week.

OP
Chillout

Chillout

Reaction score
If you sign up for a new 2 yr deal I believe you can get it for that offer. Haven't verified that though for sure.

Slighter

Reaction score
Thanks for the thread Chill and everyone else for their responses.
Been wrestling with this one myself after I got a text from VZW telling me the same thing upgrade wise. Upgrade now at discounted price
I went and checked both Dell and Amazon($19.99 in my zip) just now and did their eligibility checks and both said not till June which jibes with my little upgrade meter on My Verizon.
Started the Amazon checkout and it looks like it would cost me $10 more a month but I didn't finish to see if it would go through.
So it's looking like a buck and a half if I want one NOW, then again I put my
og Droid on my bill so theres a little wiggle room.
Cheers

Last edited: