Upgrade Gingerbread with Root, Bootstrapper and Titanium Backup. Need some help!

rigacci

Reaction score
I am a little confused on the proper method to upgrade my D2Global. Mine is Rooted and has Bootstrapper and Titanium Backup.

I saw the original post of how to unroot and upgrade but I have other questions, being that the posting was on the release date.

If I could see a recap, it would be great. Here is my situation, which I am sure others might have as well.

I have a rooted (Z4Root) with Version2.4.330.A956Verizon.en.US of Gingerbread.

I also have Bootstrapper and Titanium Backup.

As I understood it from previous posts a while ago, about ANY upcoming upgrades, you would need to first unroot and then "Unfreeze" any apps that were frozen by Titanium Backup.
Then you should be able to do the OTA update and once finished, Root it again.

But I don't think that is correct, from what I have read presently.

Now, as I understand it, you must do the downloaded upgrade (2 files downloaded), unrooting and then Bootstrap backup, wipe clean (set back to SBF)and then do the upgrade. Then you should be able to Root that upgrade.

Questions:

What happens to my Titanium Backup during all this? Do I need to reinstall it? Will that help me to reload my contacts?

Is the original post still correct?

Can someone post the links again to the zip files, please.

Thanks very much for any help.

DR

OP
R

rigacci

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions? Or a link?

I know the info is out there but I just can't find it...

D

Asphyx

Reaction score
The fastest way would be to SBF back to stock .330 install the update, Root using the D3 One Click root (works on all Moto GB releases) then restore using Titanium if thats what you want to do. I personally don't use (but own) titanium anymore I kind of prefer to reconfigure my device and clean out all the old crap I forget to uninstall and start off clean.
But thats just me.

But I will warn you SBFing will lose data so you will be required to reconfigure all your apps if you go that route.

OP
R

rigacci

Reaction score
Thanks for the message.

I don't need to do it fast.

I can back up my data to my PC and I am not too concerned about any apps. That is why I would prefer to stay away from SBFing.

I could do the two-file install but there is a little confusion with that as well.

Do we have a "Final" draft for those instructions somewhere? (or at least the latest draft)

And what are the consequences of Unrooting it and doing the OTA update? Or is it not that simple?

Thanks again.

DR

Asphyx

Reaction score
Thanks for the message.

I don't need to do it fast.

I can back up my data to my PC and I am not too concerned about any apps. That is why I would prefer to stay away from SBFing.

I could do the two-file install but there is a little confusion with that as well.

Do we have a "Final" draft for those instructions somewhere? (or at least the latest draft)

And what are the consequences of Unrooting it and doing the OTA update? Or is it not that simple?

Thanks again.

DR

No consequences to unrooting but it is a pain...You have to remove the hijack file that remains or the update won't work. (Byakushi has an instruction on how to do that somewhere around here)
You could install the pre-rooted GB with the root installed but you would not have the latest version of GB either (.606 instead of .607)

The pre-rooted is not complicated, Just flash the part one, then without rebooting flash the part two.
The part one updates the kernel and the part two adds the root if I'm not mistaken.
But once the D3 Root method came out I didn't bother with the pre-rooted just flashed the leaked version and rooting using the one click for D3 (V7)

silver6054

Reaction score
No consequences to unrooting but it is a pain...You have to remove the hijack file that remains or the update won't work. (Byakushi has an instruction on how to do that somewhere around here)
You could install the pre-rooted GB with the root installed but you would not have the latest version of GB either (.606 instead of .607)

The pre-rooted is not complicated, Just flash the part one, then without rebooting flash the part two.
The part one updates the kernel and the part two adds the root if I'm not mistaken.
But once the D3 Root method came out I didn't bother with the pre-rooted just flashed the leaked version and rooting using the one click for D3 (V7)

If you want to avoid an SBF, you have to be sure that you undo everything you did as root, so unfreeze, remove the hijack file etc, and also be sure that an app you ran while rooted didn't do something to the file system. I guess try the update (OTA or otherwise) and only if that doesn't work, consider doing an SBF.

I agree with Asphyx that there is really no point now to the prerooted .606, get .607 and root with the one-click D3 method.

To answer your original questions, you can back up all your apps and data with TB Pro. Then, if you SBF/Factory Reset/Data Wipe, you can redownload TB (it will be free as Google knows you already purchased it) and then you can, using the batch process, simply restore all your apps with data. Contacts are handled by Google and/or the Verizon Backup Assistant. These will be reloaded to your phone

OP
R

rigacci

Reaction score
Yes, I can simply unroot and unfreeze and I am back to stock. I am on 2.4.330.A956

Do you think I should UNINSTALL Bootstrapper for D2G? Seeing as it may not be "approved" by Verizon or Moto.

About that Hijack file.

You said:
(Byakushi has an instruction on how to do that somewhere around here)
I don't think that is his user name as I searched and found nothing.

Tried searching also for Hijack File and didn't get far their either.
Any ideas or links?

Thanks.

DR

Asphyx

Reaction score
Yes, I can simply unroot and unfreeze and I am back to stock. I am on 2.4.330.A956

Do you think I should UNINSTALL Bootstrapper for D2G? Seeing as it may not be "approved" by Verizon or Moto.

About that Hijack file.

You said:

I don't think that is his user name as I searched and found nothing.

Tried searching also for Hijack File and didn't get far their either.
Any ideas or links?

Thanks.

DR

I had the nick wrong...

here is the link
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...debootstrap-droid-2-global-sticky-please.html

OP
R

rigacci

Reaction score
Perfect! I think that is what I am looking for.

Really appreciate that link Asphyx!

DR