Updating to OTA question

sigua

Reaction score
I'm running .588 rooted right now. I want to get the OTA, but I've read I need to either .sbf or install .595. I've backed up with titanium backup also. Can I restore after changing versions, or will it only work within the same version?

Also, would it just be easier to get a rooted version of the OTA when it comes out instead of going through the trouble of making my phone compatible to get the OTA naturally?

Thanks, I'm still figuring all the android stuff out.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Antob125

Reaction score
If you like being rooted stay with the current GB Leak 595 until the OTA 596 gets rooted

OP
S

sigua

Reaction score
That doesn't really answer my question. I'm on .588 right now. Will I be able to just jump up to the OTA at a later time? Or do I have to go through the trouble of either going back down to froyo or up to .595?

And if I do have to go back down to froyo, can I use titanium backup to restore from either froyo or the new gingerbread when I do get it?

Chimuel

Reaction score
That doesn't really answer my question. I'm on .588 right now. Will I be able to just jump up to the OTA at a later time? Or do I have to go through the trouble of either going back down to froyo or up to .595?

And if I do have to go back down to froyo, can I use titanium backup to restore from either froyo or the new gingerbread when I do get it?

Safest bet is to SBF back to 340 to get the OTA.
I keep reading a lot of posts saying you should be okay to OTA on 595 and an equal amount of posts saying that you have to be on 340.

Since TB requires root access, you're gonna have to wait until GB gets rooted to be able to restore on 596.

If you do go to 340 you can root and restore all your apps, then unroot so you can receive the 596 OTA. Just make sure your apps don't require root access or else you won't be able to use them when you get to 596 (it'll take time before the geniuses root it)

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure you will have to be on Froyo uprooted. I don't see how you could receive the update while on GB and rooted.

Sent from my DROIDX

OP
S

sigua

Reaction score
Thanks, Chimuel, that clears some things up. My main concern is losing all my settings and apps of I have to switch and do a factory reset.

Does anyone know if there will be a way to download and install the "OTA" like I did with the leaked .588 without having to do anything from the state I'm in now?

Chimuel

Reaction score
Thanks, Chimuel, that clears some things up. My main concern is losing all my settings and apps of I have to switch and do a factory reset.

Does anyone know if there will be a way to download and install the "OTA" like I did with the leaked .588 without having to do anything from the state I'm in now?

No problem mate! Glad I could be of help.

As soon as the OTA is pushed I'm sure someone will already be pulling it from their device and upload it to the internet. For me I found the 588 rom stable and very quick... upgraded to 595 just because I prefer to have the most up-to-date version... 595 is about the same to 588 to me but then again, I only had 588 for 2 days before I found out about 595.

If I were you I'd just hold out for a rooted 596 just to save you the hassle of backing up, SBFing, updating, restoring.

OP
S

sigua

Reaction score
Just an update.

I downloaded the tbh version and clockwork recovery'd and it was totally easy. Highly recommended. No loss of root, no need to restore.