update - how to keep root and apps?

FMinMI

Reaction score
You can fairly easily find this using google, as Verizon Wireless produces a description with each upgrade. For example, the first update, to 2.4.330 is here:
DROID 2 Global Update Fixes few Calling Bugs, Finally here - Droid 2

The next update, to 4.5.608, was the first release of Gingerbread on this phone. And the only other one was the recent update to 4.5.629, about which you can see a lot on this board!

Re your previous post, "Why won't z4root work? Did Moto change stuff in 4.5 that broke it? That is what I used initially without any problems..."
Simply, z4root is a Froyo exploit and doesn't work on Gingerbread.

Ahhh -- I thought there were more than just a two upgrades based on the version range (2.3 to 4.5). So the only one I need to check is 4.5.608 and that was one I did find the changelog of. Given that, I guess I will just stay with what I got for right now.

And thanks for the info on z4root. I didn't realize it was version-specific. I had used it on my DX as well but that too must have been Froyo.

Thanks for your help and patience answering my questions. Have a good evening.

Frank

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
JFYI, I had 14-16 hours of battery life on 2.4.330.

With Gingerbread (4.5.608) it's 26-30 hours.

FMinMI

Reaction score
Ahhh -- I thought there were more than just a two upgrades based on the version range (2.3 to 4.5). So the only one I need to check is 4.5.608 and that was one I did find the changelog of. Given that, I guess I will just stay with what I got for right now.

And thanks for the info on z4root. I didn't realize it was version-specific. I had used it on my DX as well but that too must have been Froyo.

Thanks for your help and patience answering my questions. Have a good evening.

Frank

OK. That's a good enough reason for me to update! I didn't expect that after reading the changelog and some comments. That is too hard to ignore...

Thanks

Frank

silver6054

Reaction score
OK. That's a good enough reason for me to update! I didn't expect that after reading the changelog and some comments. That is too hard to ignore...

Thanks

Frank

Yes, a lot of us found Gingerbread improved not only battery life but also made the phone more stable (less forced closes and random reboots for example). The GSM performance also seemed better. But.... in one of the deep mysteries of life, if you search (and not for very long) you will find many many posts of the type "The Gingerbread update ruined my phone" (this is for 4.5.608, we all agree that the .629 does ruin your phone in some ways!) along with demands for Verizon to let them to revert. These seemed strange to me, as it was clear, on my phone, that GB was WAY better, but now I have seem similar differences of experience for many updates on many phones. I don't know if it is the apps on the phone, individual differences in hardware/firmware, or user errors, but it is there.

That said, take the 4.5.608 update, but don't tell us if it ruins your phone!

Last edited:

silver6054

Reaction score
Yes, but most of the complaints appear to come from "normal" users, who don't root and wouldn't know an SBF if it [insert favourite descriptive phrase]. From their viewpoint, Verizon sent them an update and it messed up their phone. (It even turned the signal bars BLUE!)

Edit: Oh, you probably mean FMinMI can revert back if the 4.5.608 upgrade isn't good. Yes, good point, so FMinMI, it is OK to tell us if it messes up, providing you don't take the next update to 629

Last edited:

FMinMI

Reaction score
Yes, but most of the complaints appear to come from "normal" users, who don't root and wouldn't know an SBF if it [insert favourite descriptive phrase]. From their viewpoint, Verizon sent them an update and it messed up their phone. (It even turned the signal bars BLUE!)

Edit: Oh, you probably mean FMinMI can revert back if the 4.5.608 upgrade isn't good. Yes, good point, so FMinMI, it is OK to tell us if it messes up, providing you don't take the next update to 629

OK. Understood.

Does CWM work with the Droid or do I need a different 'imaging/backup' program?

Frank