Unroot before ICS update?

Not_Ron_Burgundy

Reaction score
Should I unroot my razr before the big update? If it was a smaller update I wouldn't even bother, but with the size of the ICS update I'm wondering if it's a good idea.

bgarlock

Reaction score
If you want root after getting the ICS update, I would use Voodoo OTA root keeper (in the market). Make sure you update to the latest 'su' binary as well, and make sure to use Voodoo to 'temp unroot', then restore root. If you don't, you will likely not be able to get root after upgrading to ICS. I don't think any of the current tools will root any of the current ICS ROM's for Moto phones right now (at least the last I checked).

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
If you want root after getting the ICS update, I would use Voodoo OTA root keeper (in the market). Make sure you update to the latest 'su' binary as well, and make sure to use Voodoo to 'temp unroot', then restore root. If you don't, you will likely not be able to get root after upgrading to ICS. I don't think any of the current tools will root any of the current ICS ROM's for Moto phones right now (at least the last I checked).

Agreed. Unrooting before installing an update is always a good idea. In the past, I've read quite a bit from people who had issues after updating to an OTA while rooted. Things will be fine most of the time, but there's always the chance for issues. Like bgarlock said, if you want to preserve root after the OTA, use VooDoo OTA Root Keeper.

Better yet, if you're concerned about keeping root on ICS, wait to install it until someone has reported back that they were able to maintain root with VooDoo. It will probably work, but let someone else be the guinea pig and find out for sure. :)

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
Interesting.
First, in all the phones I've had from Motorola, DroidX, Bionic and now Razr, I have never unrooted before an OTA.
The update will kill root, but there is no real reason to unroot.

Unless they change the underlying filesystem Voodoo will be able to restore root.

sjason73

Reaction score
Hello. I am new to the Forum like I just filled out the "i got my razr". I really like my phone so far. Just barely behind my Asus Prime quad using home high speed wifi. I have never experienced the 4g lte system either.....impressive!
So is Motorola expecting to get ICS soon from the sounds of it? i did not see anybody stating a date or status. beta etc... I know that for myAsus Prime we are currently waiting for a major firmware update even possibly an update for ICS 4.0.3. I guess I am just curious if this firmware would take place across the board if it is from Google....horse's mouth. I would really like using ICS on my new razr. really happy with ICS on my tablet already. Anyways thanks for letting me get to enjoy the Razr with ya'll. VERY, VERY FAST. i like

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Interesting.
First, in all the phones I've had from Motorola, DroidX, Bionic and now Razr, I have never unrooted before an OTA.
The update will kill root, but there is no real reason to unroot.

Unless they change the underlying filesystem Voodoo will be able to restore root.

Normally, there aren't any problems. I'm trying to remember which phone it was, the Droid Pro I think, that gave many users problems when they installed a particular OTA update while rooted. I was lucky enough to have unrooted before installing the update, so I didn't have any problems. It was a fairly widespread issue for those who didn't though.

Like I said, everything should be fine if someone accepts an OTA while rooted. But there's always a chance of something going wrong if things aren't exactly like the update expects them to be.

lovemyram4x4

Reaction score
bgarlock said:

They have methods for ICS as well, just not the plug Razr into your PC and run program as of yet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forum Runner

Caesars

Reaction score
I just figured I'd add a required "lol ics isn't coming out so why bother" to this thread.

On a serious note I'm going to buy an ics tonight at the local grocery store :)

DexDroid

Reaction score
Agreed. Unrooting before installing an update is always a good idea. In the past, I've read quite a bit from people who had issues after updating to an OTA while rooted. Things will be fine most of the time, but there's always the chance for issues. Like bgarlock said, if you want to preserve root after the OTA, use VooDoo OTA Root Keeper.

Better yet, if you're concerned about keeping root on ICS, wait to install it until someone has reported back that they were able to maintain root with VooDoo. It will probably work, but let someone else be the guinea pig and find out for sure. :)

I can confirm the VooDoo app does in fact give you temp root to do the ICS OTA update. After the install was complete I had absolutely No problem restoring root with VooDoo. @bsweetness Thanks a million for sharing the link for VooDoo. You saved me a ton of time.