Unrealistic Expectations for Moto Droid?

AzDroidFan

Reaction score
I've been a Verizon/Motorola product customer since 1988. Every Motorola phone I purchased since then has been "bullet proof". I mean, zero issues until I turned it in for the next one after 24 months.

Right now, I'm on my third Moto Droid. I love the phone and the features, but the original and the "refurbished" replacement both bricked after less than a month each. The current one started to act up yesterday (a day or two after the 2.1 OTA update) by shutting itself down at the end of each phone call. I did the usual battery "yank and replace" and now it seems to be OK....at least so far.

So here's my two questions,

1. Is is this relatively normal behavior for such a new platform? Or have I just been unlucky in the hardware I received?

2. If I trade in the Moto Droid for an Droid Eris (because I really like the g-mail and Google Voice capability), will I most likely have the same "bug" issues, or has the Eris been more reliable since it's introduction as compared to the Moto Droid?

Thanks for your feedback and ideas!

Droidfish

Reaction score
I bought my droid in November and have had zero hardware or software issues. I would definitely call you the unlucky exception to the rule. I can tell you that having messed around with both that the droid is far superior as far as capability and performance, but thats an opinion that really depends on how someone uses their phone.

Altough with luck like yours with any product most consumers start to take it personal(myself included) so maybe you would be happier with the eris.

Also when you say "bricked" what do you mean, I couldn't brick this thing if I tried.

OP
AzDroidFan

AzDroidFan

Reaction score
Thanks, DroidFish for the quick reply! By bricked, I mean that the phone went dark, no screen images at all and could not be turned back even after battery pulls. I understand that some folks say the Droid is then nothing more than a piece of mental and plastic that looks like a brick.

Any other feedback? Thanks.

toddegreene

Reaction score
** Edit** Is your battery charged? Put it on the included wall charger and leave it there overnight, then get back to us. If that doesn't work, it may be broke.

I've been running since Nov '09 with no serious problems. I've rooted, unrooted, rerooted and done all manner of things and my Droid is solid a a rock. Any problems I've had can be attributed to user error (me experimenting) or funky apps. There are apps out in the marketplace that don't play well with other apps or the system.

What apps have you downloaded from the marketplace? When people have these repeated problems with different equipment, I tend to look towards the software added, rather than the hardware or OS. Sometimes apps just don't play well together. Try a factory reset and run for a while with just the included apps. If there's a problem at this level, then it's probably the Droid.

Last edited:
OP
AzDroidFan

AzDroidFan

Reaction score
Thanks, for the feedback. Yes, my Droid is always fairly well charged. I have a Motorola car charger and ever night it's plugged in over night to it's supplied wall charger.

Here's the list of apps. I have added to the current 2.1 apps. (all from the Android Store): Google Maps, Movies, Mini Info. Widget, Talk to Me, Recordoid dictaphone, NubiNews Reader, My Verizon, GPS Status, Amazon.com, AK Notepad, LookOut Mobile Security, WeatherBug Locator and WeatherBug, Nav Launcher, Today Widget, and Google Voice.

Do any of those "not like to play with each other?"

Last edited:

mtnbikerfred

Reaction score
Almost sounds like a battery/charger problem (they make you keep your battery when you swap phones).

Try this. VERY NICELY, ask to speak to a manger at a Verizon store, or with Customer service. Be succinct in telling them you've been a customer since before they were called Verizon, and that you've had the same problem on your original phone, and the replacement. ASK them (use the word please) if they could authorize getting your phone replaced with a BRAND NEW ONE including the battery and charger, as they could be causing the problem.

If this doesn't work, call AT&T. I hear they're giving away iPhones to get customers...

91jolson

Reaction score
I agree with mtnbikerfred, it seems that whenever someone has a problem with their droid, they always seem to go through multiple handsets. This always amazed me because I have not had a problem with mine and I've done all sorts of Warranty-voiding messing around with it.

So yeah, I would beg for a new battery.

If that fails, the eris is still a pretty solid phone (from what my brother tells me).

OP
AzDroidFan

AzDroidFan

Reaction score
Thanks Mtbikerfred and 91Jolson for the input. I'm liking the battery/charger theory. Before going the Eris route, I'm going to buy a new battery and see if that helps.

Any other thoughts?

pyro6128

Reaction score
sounds like bad luck. I bought my droid in early december, and the production week under the battery says 39/09 which I'm pretty sure is one of the earliest runs. Haven't had any sort of problems with it

edit: Don't get an eris, no need to downgrade

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is is this relatively normal behavior for such a new platform? Or have I just been unlucky in the hardware I received?
Certainly not normal in my experience. I've only ever had one Droid and have never had the issues you mentioned.

SnoDrtRider

Reaction score
Is is this relatively normal behavior for such a new platform? Or have I just been unlucky in the hardware I received?
Certainly not normal in my experience. I've only ever had one Droid and have never had the issues you mentioned.

Same here got mine before the holidays and never had a problem and I can count the force closes on one hand.

I have the feeling (if people who say they have a problem are honest and didn't abuse or drop the phone) that there are maybe a few hundred phones out there that were never right and never will be. They just keep getting turned in and checked and are given back out as replacements but something is wrong with them that is being overlooked by the repair techs.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I haven't rooted and have the OTA 2.1, but I've had this phone since 11/06/09 and it has worked fine.

Unfortunately any mass produced item will have some lemons out there.

FoFa

Reaction score
Even with lemons, it seems odd that 3 phones in a row would have the same issue. Even that alone makes the odds astronomical.
So it sounds like there is some external source causing them to act strangely.
Probably something not easy to put a finger on.
Like the 3rd party charger issue (remember how long that took to figure out).

Just seems to make more sense than "bad luck".

chromashadows

Reaction score
do NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT get the eris! I went through 3 of em within a week and a half because after every call or text msg it would lock up and I'd have to battery pull. Dudes at the verizon store saw it happen and were lost, saying no one ever had that problem before. Also the battery life is non existant. I had all things OFF and would still charge it 4 to 8 times a day. Within 30 min it would be half empty and in an hour, dead. with or without use.

My droid that i got instead gave me no probs up to now (save the horrifying youtube that dont work but i got that in the tech category right now for answers), the batt lasts ONE charge for 2 days with everything running (even though Im religious killing apps. The amount of apps that are irrevelvant to the phone seem to turn on a lot which I will make as a new topic when im done here, lol.

but yeah. do NOT get the eris. It really shouldn't wear the 'droid' name in my opinion......

dishnu

Reaction score
Even with lemons, it seems odd that 3 phones in a row would have the same issue. Even that alone makes the odds astronomical..

Not really I had the same thing happen with my Dare when I first got that same issue with 3 phones the first was new the 2nd and 3rd were both Referbs, after the 3rd phone i asked for a new one out of the box and since there was a record of all the times i went in to support they gave me a new Dare that has worked fine since.