Unlocking Galaxy S3 with Dead Screen

Lana30

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S3, Lenovo Yoga 2 table
Hi All,
Hi there, I have a Samsung S3 with a black, unresponsive screen. I read that S3 requires a special HDMI adaptor from Samsung. Would a normal OTG plus HDMI adapter work? Thanks!

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I don't recall for certain but I do think that the only ones that worked properly were the Samsung ones...

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
What are your intentions exactly? The S3 requires a specific MHL to HDMI adapter if you intend to connect your device to your tv. If the screen is black and unresponsive, it's going to be black & unresponsive on your tv. If you're simply looking to try and get your files & photos off the device, see if you can connect it to your pc with the stock charging cable. That's your only option at this point, unless you're trying to do something else?

S5 tap'n

sgtstew

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
I had a similar problem; screen black, but files accessible and transferable via USB to laptop. Screen replacement turned out to be too costly when compared with purchasing a replacement S3. Someone recommended "SWAPPA" as a source for used/but good devices. Total replacement cost was about the same as doing a screen replacement on the old S3. Did the purchase, copied old files from laptop to "new" S3; up and running. My two-bits worth!

Reactions: cr6