Unlocked Galaxy. What is the difference in function/cost...?

D

dankarlinski

unlocked and factory unlocked means that the software is not locked to one carrier. for example, if you have (for the sake of argument) an iphone 3g on att. you switched to t-mobile. you can get that phone "unlocked" and the phone will no longer be programmed just to att, but any network that has sim cards.

as to the difference of "factory unlocked" to "unlocked", there is no difference... its more of a marketing thing

OP
A

AlphaDroid

Reaction score
So an unlocked version would be the best to buy? You could switch service providers at anytime and for resale, that's a good idea.

Does a Factory Unlocked cost more? Who's selling these versions?

D

dankarlinski

like i said, a "factory unlocked" vs an "unlocked" is exactly the same (assuming they are both new) however, "factory unlocked" implies that it was shipped unlocked, and still in original wrapping. if the seller unlocked it himself, it was opened to perform the unlocking, thus not brand new

OP
A

AlphaDroid

Reaction score
like i said, a "factory unlocked" vs an "unlocked" is exactly the same (assuming they are both new) however, "factory unlocked" implies that it was shipped unlocked, and still in original wrapping. if the seller unlocked it himself, it was opened to perform the unlocking, thus not brand new

and is it true that if it is non Factory Unlocked, your warranty is voided by such actions?

OP
A

AlphaDroid

Reaction score
Here is a factory unlocked version on ebay
SAMSUNG GALAXY TABLET ANDROID FACTORY UNLOCKED SIM FREE - eBay (item 300494920128 end time Dec-19-10 05:46:14 PST)

My question is, will it work on all the big cell phone providers, ie Sprint, ATT, TMobile, Verizon, US Cellular...?

More info from another ebay ad; http://cgi.ebay.com/SAMSUNG-GALAXY-...0493006576?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item20b60926f0

WORKS WITH ALL GSM NETWORKS

BRAND NEW IN FACTORY BOX, UNLOCKED & WORKS ON ALL 850/900/1800/1900 GSM/GPRS/EDGE NETWORKS INCLUDING: T-MOBILE* AND AT&T*

ALSO WORKS WITH ALL 900/1900/2100 3G NETWORKS WORLDWIDE*

JUST POP YOUR CURRENT SIM CARD INTO YOUR NEW SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB P1000 AND YOU'RE GOOD TO GO!

THIS ITEM WILL NOT WORK ON CDMA NETWORKS SUCH AS VERIZON & SPRINT

* Works with AT&T and T-mobile EDGE but does not work with 3G networks in the USA

* Works with AT&T 1900Mhz 3G but not AT&T 850mhz 3G - Does not work with T-mobile 3G in the USA

Last edited:
D

dankarlinski

as far as i am aware, that is not true. unlocking Should not void any warentees. this has been discussed across any forum board online.

the final call on that is left to the manuf. and the carrier (who usually could care less)

D

dankarlinski

Here is a factory unlocked version on ebay
SAMSUNG GALAXY TABLET ANDROID FACTORY UNLOCKED SIM FREE - eBay (item 300494920128 end time Dec-19-10 05:46:14 PST)

Will it work on all the big cell phone providers, ie Sprint, ATT, TMobile, Verizon...?

that one is ended, and quite expensive, but the answer is no.

if it says "unlocked" in any state of the word, it is only used for GSM networks i.e. ones with sims (t-mobile, att, rogers, etc)

the reasoning for this is because GSM networks use SIM cards to establish the phones ID. you can swap and the new phone will transmit the IMEI, which tells the carrier what phone you are using.

CDMA networks have everything hard coded into the phone itself, so you cannot swap anything.