Uninstalled Contacts Storage and now im screwed

bradleonard

Reaction score
I greatly appreciate the time that you put into this the first time and then re-writing for clarification.

I am going to change all of my permissions to the correct settings now with the APP folder mounted Read/write rather than read only.

I will test the restart and report on my findings. Hopefully I don't end up having to do a complete reset.

bradleonard

Reaction score
I have just completed the full operation. I have a few things to note.

#1. I was able to only reboot to correct my problems. I DID NOT have to factory reset my phone. That is a great resolution to this problem. I am not sure if this would be the same result for everyone, but it worked for me. I would think that a reboot should work everyone. It would seem that system looks at this folder at bootup and if the files and permissions are correct the issues should be corrected.

#2. In regard to Step#9 where it is necessary to correct the Read/Write permissions I would amend it with this:

While it is necessary to change permissions of the replaced files to:
X X O
X O O
X O O

As I was going through this process I wasn't exactly sure where the files that I had replaced stop and the untouched files started, but I noticed that the untouched files appeared to have the following permissions:

X X X
X O X
X X X or something like this.

I would assume that it would be be recommended to not change these but to stop.

One last thought, the App File Expert was especially difficult to figure out how to copy and paste multiple files. I am not sure how I got it to work but I did. Maybe someone could explain that a little bit better.

I hope this helps others when they encounter this problem. It is too bad this people have to find this out the hard way, but that is the life of people who like to push the limits of functionality.

vvildcard, thanks for your effort on this write-up!

darkspaceboy

Reaction score
thank you vary much for taking the time to write this. i went thrue and just started to change permissions and saw yahoo contacts with the wrong permissions and changed it rebooted and it worked.... thank you so much

Milo_Azar

Reaction score
Okay.. I followed all the steps, actually have the apps that I deleted on my phone again, but when I go to my contacts I get the same error... It says....

The application Contacts storage (process com.motorola.contacts) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again...

I'm really confused now and kinda worried that I have ruined my contacts... I'm rooted w/the one click root on 2.3.3, should I just do an sbf to 2.2 and then start from there again? or just do the factory reset???

Any help is Greatly appreciated....