Uninstalled Contacts Storage and now im screwed

KurioHonoo

Reaction score
Yes, i know, i am an idiot, but i just wanted to see what the worse that could happen was, and well now i cant use the phone app and none of my contacts are synced with google, facebook, or twitter and i cant reinstall it with Titanium Backup, doing it manually or even pushing it with ADB, i could really use some help here, id rather not reset my phone back to the factory settings

OP
K

KurioHonoo

Reaction score
So I ended up factory restoring and it only made my phone worse, the google service framework constantly force closes,so I can't download anything from the market, I can't compose text messages or make phone calls, I can't even view my contacts

vvildcard

Reaction score
So I ended up factory restoring and it only made my phone worse, the google service framework constantly force closes,so I can't download anything from the market, I can't compose text messages or make phone calls, I can't even view my contacts

Oh boy. It may be possible to fix, but no promises. I don't have time to post all the steps right now, but you can start by downloading the DX2 System Dump...

vvildcard

Reaction score
Okay... so here's what you need to do... Read through the steps first and make sure you understand each one. If you're not exactly sure how to do a step, please ask and I'll be happy to clarify. Some steps are very specific, some basic ones aren't... if one doesn't make sense, ask.

07/13/2011 edit: Rewrote the steps to fix some problems and confusion...

1. Download the Droid X2 System Dump.
2. Root your phone using Gingerbreak (APK | Instructions)
3. Download and install the APK for File Expert. You may have to turn on Unknown Sources: Settings > Applications > Unknown Sources.
4. Open the file you downloaded in Step 1, find and extract the 'app' folder to your phone's SD card (put it in a place that's easy to find).
5. Check "Root Explorer" in File Explorer's settings (Menu > More > Settings > File Explorer Settings > Root Explorer).
6. Use File Explorer to mount your /system/app directory (your path is displayed at the top of File Explorer, make sure it matches) as Read/Write. (Menu > More > Mount > Mount as Read Write)
7. Copy all the files from the extracted app folder (Step 4) into the phone's /system/app folder. When prompted, skip all the files that already exist. (Note: If you are replacing files that were corrupted or altered somehow, but still exist, you can't choose skip... but understand that this resets permissions on ALL files, so you will have to spend A LOT of time on Step 9.)
8. Sort the /system/app directory by Last Modified (Menu > Sort > By Last Modified)
9. Go to the top of the list and long-click on the first file. Select File Operations > Permission. This brings up a permissions matrix. Set the permissions to look like this... (X = checked, O = unchecked)
X X O
X O O
X O O

10. Go down the list of files and change the permissions for every single file. You should only have to do this for the files associated with the programs you uninstalled... eventually, you should get to files that have the correct permissions and you can stop (you should also notice that these are files that belong to programs you didn't delete).
11. Remount the /system/app directory as Read (Menu > More > Mount > Mount as Read)
12. Reboot

That should do it... when the reboot is done, you should be fully repaired.

Your phone will still be rooted after the reboot. If you don't want to keep it rooted, launch Gingerbreak and choose the Unroot option. It will unroot and you can uninstall Gingerbreak.

Good luck!

bradleonard

Reaction score
Will this procedure work for other apps that I have deleted like Yahoo Authenticator and Backup Assistant?

Did procedure work for you KurioHonoo?

vvildcard

Reaction score
Will this procedure work for other apps that I have deleted like Yahoo Authenticator and Backup Assistant?

Yes. This will work for anyone that needs to restore uninstalled apps... as long as the phone still boots into normal mode. If your phone is in a reboot loop, you'll need to find the SBF instructions.

bradleonard

Reaction score
Okay... so here's what you need to do... Read through the steps first and make sure you understand each one. If you're not exactly sure how to do a step, please ask and I'll be happy to clarify. Some steps are very specific, some basic ones aren't... if one doesn't make sense, ask.

1. Root your phone using Gingerbreak (APK | Instructions)
2. Download and install the APK for File Expert. You may have to turn on Unknown Sources: Settings > Applications > Unknown Sources.
3. In the file I had you download, find and extract the 'app' folder to your SD card (put it in a place that's easy to find).
4. Use File Explorer to mount your /system/app directory (your path is displayed at the top of File Explorer, make sure it matches) as Read/Write. (Do: Menu > More > Mount > Mount as Read Write)
5. Copy all the files from the extracted app folder into the /system/app folder. When prompted, skip all the files that already exist.
6. Remount the /system/app directory as Read (Menu > More > Mount > Mount as Read)
7. Sort the /system/app directory by Last Modified (Menu > Sort > By Last Modified)
8. Go to the top of the list and long-click on the first file. Select File Operations > Permission. This brings up a permissions prompt. Set the permissions to look like this... (X = checked, O = unchecked)
X X O
X O O
X O O

9. Go down the list of files and change the permissions for every single file. You should only have to do this for the files associated with the programs you uninstalled... eventually, you should get to files that have the correct permissions and you can stop (you should also notice that these are files that belong to programs you didn't delete).
10. Factory Reset

That should do it... when the reset is done, you should be fully repaired.

Your phone will still be rooted after the Factory Reset. If you don't want to keep it rooted, launch Gingerbreak and choose the Unroot option. It will unroot and you can uninstall Gingerbreak.

Good luck!

I am already confused with these instructions...sorry. Step #3 says to extract the file that you had "us" download and extract the 'app' folder to the SD card. -- In this step are you just instructing to install the File Expert.APK? Because it didn't come compressed? Is this step obsolete?

Step #4 What is "File Explorer" is it inside of file expert or are you referring to something like Astro?

Thats as far as I ask for now.

THanks

bradleonard

Reaction score
After a little bit more poking around, I found that the file explorer is inside of the App File Expert. I also found in the settings of File Expert under "File Explorer" that the "Mount" option does not show up in the context menu until you turn on the option "Root Explorer" which asks for Super User Permissions. Once I turned this on I could now "mount" the app folder. Now onto deciphering the rest.

bradleonard

Reaction score
I hope i'm not missing something, but steps 2 & 3 need a lot better explanation. After learning how to "mount" the system/app folder, it appears to me that you missed a step explaining to download another "app" folder. The Gingerbreak APK is the only other thing that you instructed to download and it has nothing to extract that would contain an "app" folder. Am I correct? I am assuming that the "app" folder that i am missing will contain the missing files that I have accidentally deleted. Please correct if I am wrong.

darkspaceboy

Reaction score
what i am seeing on my permissions is
oox
oxo
oox

im having the same problem but i didnt uninstall anything that looked important just slacker radio, blockbuster, quick office, motofmradio, skype, amazonmp3.apk
i did all the steps that you said to ect factory reset just yet

vvildcard

Reaction score
After a little bit more poking around, I found that the file explorer is inside of the App File Expert. I also found in the settings of File Expert under "File Explorer" that the "Mount" option does not show up in the context menu until you turn on the option "Root Explorer" which asks for Super User Permissions. Once I turned this on I could now "mount" the app folder. Now onto deciphering the rest.

Oops... sorry about the confusion... the file I was referring to in step #3 was mentioned in an earlier post in the thread. When I was writing those steps the first time, they were framed by the discussion up to that point.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

bradleonard

Reaction score
After re-reading for comprehension I figured out that the file was referring to the DX2 Dump File.

I have a new question, on Step #6 is that supposed to be mount as Read Only or Read/Write?

I found that when I was changing my permissions and went back to check my work, I found that they had reverted to what they were previously set to.

oox
oxo
oox

THis makes me wonder if the folder should have been mounted as Read/Write rather than Read Only which isn't specified in step 6.

Also, if all this works, do I really need to do a factory reset in order for this process to work correctly?

vvildcard

Reaction score
Just went through the steps with a fine-tooth comb and fixed a few things. The old Step 6 was an oversight and should have been placed at the end of the steps... as you discovered, the drive does need to be writable to change permissions.

Thanks for your feedback and patience!