Unable to go to stock gingerbread...

nsomniak

Reaction score
Greetings folks.

My Droid X freaked out last week, my kiddo was playing some game on it, returned it to me, said it was broke, and he was right. After several reboots/battery replaces/app uninstalls, my earpiece and mouthpiece were not working. So I lost phone functionality, except I could make calls.

Anyway, I don't use my phone for calling people much, so I didn't care. However, then I missed an important call from school, and from work. Damn important calls. Why why why...

So I did a factory data reset: (Settings -> Privacy -> Factory Data Reset. Had some activation issues with verizon but worked through those. Now, my phone is sitting at:

System Version: Version.2.3.9.MB810.Verizon.en.US
Android Version: 2.2
Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9-gfb07887w30471@il93lnxdroid08 #1

Now, I've tried the "stock gb update.zip" files that I can find, but none of them install. Back when 2.2 launched I grabbed a premature 2.2 build, some of you may recognize those numbers, I don't know. How do I get on the current build so I can either 1) receive OTA GB or 2) get that stock gb update.zip to work. I get an error, I'll try it again if anyone wants to know what the error says, but I don't remember off the top of my head.

Anyone have any ideas?

Why am I not rooted? Well, I don't crack stuff anymore, my wife is kinda against it. I was big in the psp scene a couple years ago and she didn't like what I was doing. Hell, I didn't like what I was doing, so we went legit. A stock update.zip is in a way technically still tinkering, but that's as far as I'm comfortable going. (Although Liberty ROMs look oh so tempting.)

Thanks for the help guys.