Unable to connect to guest Wi-Fi

CattleDawg

Reaction score
My office building provides a wi-fi connection for guests. Prior to browsing, you are directed to a log-in page in which you need to enter a user id and pwd. I am able to connect to the network but the log-in page will not load. I get a 'Web page not available message'. It works fine when I use my laptop. Any ideas as to why that log-in page won't load?

Slider46

Reaction score
That page might not be compatible with the browser on the Droid. I've ran into only a few websites that don't work well with the Droid. Most of the time though they just fail to load completely.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
A useful tool for diagnosing browser problems is to have multiple browsers. There are several to choose from.

() xScope --- a very popular and frequently updated browser.

() Dolphin -- Also very popular, less frequently updated.

() Opera -- New in the market in a beta version.

() Steel -- Problematic for me but others may still be using it.

Try downloading at least one alternate browser and see if the problems you experience can be replicated.

Edit: I see great minds think alike. :)

OP
C

CattleDawg

Reaction score
Thanks. I tried both Opera and Dolphin with no luck.

OP
C

CattleDawg

Reaction score
xScope + iPhone UA and still no luck; I get the same message.

Slider46

Reaction score
Most likely it's the login page on the network. You've pretty much eliminated the issue being with a single browser on the Droid.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
xScope + iPhone UA and still no luck; I get the same message.

You're a persistent, cuss, ain't ya? One final test you might try with your laptop. Try to login using the Chrome browser from Google. Since that's the basis for most of the Droid browsers if you're unable to login with Chrome on your laptop you've confirmed that the website doesn't support the various Google-based browsers. (I've had a similar problem with some (older) websites when I tried to use Chrome.)

Edit: Hey, there's another thread dealing with a similar issue when trying to login into the Schlage website. Looks like the Opera (beta) browser works in that case. Might work in yours as well.

Last edited:

atkjedi

Reaction score
I have run into this on some Cisco\Lynksys routers.
If you look at the wifi connection you will notice that it show saved or remembered (depending on os), also it never gets an IP which is why you can't get to the login screen...

Works fine on secured network on same router.