tutorial: True VOIP: Google Voice > Droid

LuN3yDaV3

Reaction score
I am going to have to try this setup out. My question is dealing with when you are placing calls and people are calling you. Do they just dial your number and it routes through GV to your phone, or you have to use the GV number that is created? Likewise when you call out what number is it going to reflect to the other person?

If I understand this whole process correctly, GV is the interface number and application for the VOIP service, but can't achieve true VOIP without this workaround.

So to answer your question, you would have people call your GV number which routes them through to your sipgate number that GV is linked to. Outgoing will interface with GV, your sipgate number and use sipsorcery to do the actual routing to the receiving end. Kind of like a switchboard. Now what I don't get (yet) is what number people will see on their caller IDs. Is it your GV number or sipgate number? In the sipgate settings you can tell it what number people will see, but I don't know if that matters in this type of setup. Correct me if I'm wrong.

LuN3yDaV3

Reaction score
Sorry about not being on here. I've been stuck in google apps hell with some clients.

I had it working, both inbound and outbound. At this point, I have only outbound working. Inbound routes to my cell via GV>Mobile.

This was happening to me too. You have to go into the GV web app and uncheck your mobile number from the forward to: phone list. I'm guessing this is your issue.

This is the only drawback to this. When you are home and want to use VOIP, you have to only have your sipgate number active in GV. Once you want to go out and have calls going to your GV number forward to your VZ mobile, you will have to make sure to recheck you mobile number in the web app. You will then be using your plan's minutes though.

EDIT: Unless you go somewhere that has wifi

Anybody got this to work on 3G yet?

OP
cellphonedork

cellphonedork

Reaction score
This should show GV number. DO NOT PUT CALLER ID NUMBER IN SIPGATE OR SIPDROID. This will mess with the routing being done by sipsorcery.

What is actually happening, is that you place a call. Sipsorcery picks it up and routes to google voice. You are actually placed on hold briefly. GV calls you back via sipgate and is connected to your call on hold. Then the call is routed to its destination. Hence the lag in dialing the number. You can confirm on sipgate and sipsorcery logs that calls are being placed to your GV number.

Sorry about not being around more. Been stuck in google apps and analytics hell with a client.

I believe that above info is true. My setup just went a little kooky as well. I have great outbound, but inbound appears to be missing something at this point. I still get calls, but they route from GV to my mobile number (using cell minutes or F&F if you have GV registered). I also have sipgate routing to a Linksys SPA2102 and that works both inbound and outbound

(double post) kind of

LuN3yDaV3

Reaction score
I wonder if that is why I was having an issue with the other end not hearing me. I put in the caller-id number. Off to remove it and test again.

LuN3yDaV3

Reaction score
I wonder if that is why I was having an issue with the other end not hearing me. I put in the caller-id number. Off to remove it and test again.

Ok in sipgate settings, options for caller ID are my sipgate 415 number, blocked or custom number. Which one do I choose?

LuN3yDaV3

Reaction score
Ok I set the sipgate caller ID to block (not sure if that's right). Anyway, I found the setting on sipdroid to use 3G. Tested it and was able to connect to a call. However the delay was about 3 seconds on a full strength 3G connection. Also the volume on the handset uses media volume and having it up all the way is still too low. Not looking good for this being a Vonage replacement for me. Maybe Gizmo5 will be a lot better. May be just ok in the meantime over fast wifi.

Speaking of Vonage, they have an app for iphone, but I didn't post that here :) I will start a new thread if there isn't one yet.

OP
cellphonedork

cellphonedork

Reaction score
Just checked my settings for sipgate again. Caller ID is set to sipgate number.

deputc26

Reaction score
hmmm, when I call my sipgate number sipdroid is not ringing my phone, the only page I edited in sipdroid was the "sip account settings" page I put in my sipsorcery credentials and got a green light in the status bar but it doesn't ring to my sipgate number.

I have a provider and binding showing up in sipsorcery...

could it be because I'm currently in canada? no, because the whole point is free calls worldwide...

This is where I got hung up too. make sure within sipsorcery when you add the sip provider "sipgate" the user name and password is NOT your sipgate site login, it's from the settings in sipgate. Within sipgate settings, hover over the phone that says 'Phone of <Your Name>' and choose SIP credentials. Enter SIP-ID and Password you see here into sip sorcery. Should be random letters/numbers for both.

Once you do this, go back to sipgate settings like before and choose test phone. Mine was showing offline until if did this exact process.

This was a pretty convoluted process, but I think I got it to work. mostly. This did give me a headache, but I don't like not figuring things out once I start. One question: Outbound calls can only go to land lines? I tried calling my wife's Sprint number and she could hear me but I couldn't hear her.

it returns an error adding the provider when I use those names/passwords, odd that sipdroid says it is connected but doesn't receive calls

LuN3yDaV3

Reaction score
hmmm, when I call my sipgate number sipdroid is not ringing my phone, the only page I edited in sipdroid was the "sip account settings" page I put in my sipsorcery credentials and got a green light in the status bar but it doesn't ring to my sipgate number.

I have a provider and binding showing up in sipsorcery...

could it be because I'm currently in canada? no, because the whole point is free calls worldwide...

This is where I got hung up too. make sure within sipsorcery when you add the sip provider "sipgate" the user name and password is NOT your sipgate site login, it's from the settings in sipgate. Within sipgate settings, hover over the phone that says 'Phone of <Your Name>' and choose SIP credentials. Enter SIP-ID and Password you see here into sip sorcery. Should be random letters/numbers for both.

Once you do this, go back to sipgate settings like before and choose test phone. Mine was showing offline until if did this exact process.

This was a pretty convoluted process, but I think I got it to work. mostly. This did give me a headache, but I don't like not figuring things out once I start. One question: Outbound calls can only go to land lines? I tried calling my wife's Sprint number and she could hear me but I couldn't hear her.

it returns an error adding the provider when I use those names/passwords, odd that sipdroid says it is connected but doesn't receive calls

Make sure you are logged in. Mine timed out when I was trying to add the script after leaving the house and coming back couple hours later.

LuN3yDaV3

Reaction score
Got another question. In the sipsorcery dial plan script, what area code do we put? Is it the area code where we actually live, the area code of our GV number, or the area code of the sipgate number?

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Got another question. In the sipsorcery dial plan script, what area code do we put? Is it the area code where we actually live, the area code of our GV number, or the area code of the sipgate number?

your guess is as good as mine. if you get it figured out, let me know. maybe we can write a complete Droid tutorial together

LuN3yDaV3

Reaction score

your guess is as good as mine. if you get it figured out, let me know. maybe we can write a complete Droid tutorial together

Well it's somewhat working for me. Tried it last night from home and was able to dial in and out to/from my Vonage line. Just wasn't able to test conversations since it was 2 a.m. The delay on wifi was less than a second. I did try calling my wife's Sprint line, but she couldn't hear me but I could hear her. This could have been because of the caller-ID number issue messing with the routing. I will test it again later when I get home. I also fixed the volume issue by going into sipdroid settings and increasing the earpiece gain.

When using 3G, the delay was huge and in another call, the other person said I sounded like a robot.

I really have high hopes for this, but the difficulty setting this up and the call quality is not a good trade so far.

unix.punkx

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm also not seeing a SIP Bindings show up under the SIP Ac****s tab.

Is this where you setup sipdroid? It never said anything about what to use for the server etc..

LuN3yDaV3

Reaction score
I'm also not seeing a SIP Bindings show up under the SIP Ac****s tab.

Is this where you setup sipdroid? It never said anything about what to use for the server etc..

The binding comes from the sipdroid app on your droid. You must have some settings wrong. One thing I noticed is that your user name defaults to lowercase within sipsorcery.

SipDroid Settings:

Sipdroid Authorization Username = Your sipsorcery login name (lowercase letters*)
*if you have uppercase letters in your sipsorcery login (e.g. BiGDrOiD007 would be bigdroid007)
Password = sipsorcery password
Server = sipsorcery.com
domain, username, port, protocol (Leave Alone).

Try checking these and let us know if you get your binding to show up.