Transferring Text Msgs and Pics from Droid 2 to Bionic

cookala6

Reaction score
I looked thru alot of posts, so sorry if i missed this thread..

How do you transfer your text messages and Pics from the Droid 2 to the Bionic. I have the SMS backup on the Droid 2 to my gmail, but reading conflicting reviews on whether or not this works.

Has anyone done this, or have any suggestions on how to accomplish.
Thanks!

Edi

Reaction score
I used SMS backup and restore, took the txt file along with any data I wanted and transferred to a PC. Then I moved them back in while using mass storage on the Bionic. You do have to move the txt file from SMS onto the internal partition for it to work I think. At least that's what I did since the app already created the folder there. You can do this with the files app that's pre-loaded on the Bionic.

OP
C

cookala6

Reaction score
How did you grab the text file, doesn't it just create the file as part of the gmail calendar, or is there a setting i need to change..maybe I'm missing something?

Edi

Reaction score
When you do a backup it creates a text file, located within the folder SMSBackupRestore.

rza49311

Reaction score
I looked thru alot of posts, so sorry if i missed this thread..

How do you transfer your text messages and Pics from the Droid 2 to the Bionic. I have the SMS backup on the Droid 2 to my gmail, but reading conflicting reviews on whether or not this works.

Has anyone done this, or have any suggestions on how to accomplish.
Thanks!

I have used sms backup on my OG droid to backup text messages when I did a factory reset on my phone. It worked perfectly but you lose your MMS messages. It can't restore those, only the SMS but you do have them saved in your gmail still. I have not tried to restore to a different device yet but I'm expecting my Bionic in an hour or so at which time i'll be trying it. Also, if you decide to give it a shot, remember it can only do around 100 messages at a time when backing up/restoring. You keep running it until it says no messages left.

sherm485

Reaction score
Handcent has a paid service where you can back up SMS and MMS. I think it was only $4 or so for a year. SMS can be transferred right over the network. For MMS you have to move a couple files in order to restore. Worked great. The only issue is with how the phone handles the timestamps. The stock program saves everything by when it was added to the phone. SMSgo sorts correctly but incoming messages often have an incorrect timestamp.

rza49311

Reaction score
I have used sms backup on my OG droid to backup text messages when I did a factory reset on my phone. It worked perfectly but you lose your MMS messages. It can't restore those, only the SMS but you do have them saved in your gmail still. I have not tried to restore to a different device yet but I'm expecting my Bionic in an hour or so at which time i'll be trying it. Also, if you decide to give it a shot, remember it can only do around 100 messages at a time when backing up/restoring. You keep running it until it says no messages left.

Just used it to restore all my SMS to my new Bionic and it worked fine.

rza49311

Reaction score
Did they restore with the correct timestamp or is it showing the time they were restored at?

Ugh, yeah its showing the time they were restored. When I restored them to my OG Droid they showed the correct timestamp though.

sherm485

Reaction score
Ugh, yeah its showing the time they were restored. When I restored them to my OG Droid they showed the correct timestamp though.

Yeah must be something with the messaging software. If you look at the actual backup file made on the Bionic it still shows the original, correct timestamp next to the message. There has to be a fix for this....

rza49311

Reaction score
Something else I just remembered, I had to do a factory reset on my wife's Droid Pro a while back and it did the same thing. Everything it restored was the time of the restore.

sherm485

Reaction score
Something else I just remembered, I had to do a factory reset on my wife's Droid Pro a while back and it did the same thing. Everything it restored was the time of the restore.

Hmm, must be something with the new Motorola's. No matter how many times I've restored on my OG Droid or transferred between them it's always worked just fine.

Edi

Reaction score
Here are the settings I use for SMS backup and restore.

User Archive Mode: Check
Add Readable Date: Check
Add XSL tag: Check
Add Contact Names: Check
Disable Vibration: Check
Do not show Ads: Check

Doing this has always showed the correct time and date, along with the contact. I've used these settings on my OG droid with many many ROM changes, and when transferring all information to my Bionic. And everything has remained intact.

Sebastian

Reaction score
I'm going nuts over here. I'm going from the Charge to the Bionic.

-I downloaded SMS Backup/Restore.
-I took 2200+ messages and got it on the sd card.
-The SD card now gets moved to the Bionic, powered on and then I download the same program on to the Bionic.
-I open it up, hit restore... and nothing. It says it can't find the folder.
-So, I go into files and find the folder and the file.
-I change the location to save and try the process again, and nothing. WTF

rza49311

Reaction score
Here are the settings I use for SMS backup and restore.

User Archive Mode: Check
Add Readable Date: Check
Add XSL tag: Check
Add Contact Names: Check
Disable Vibration: Check
Do not show Ads: Check

Doing this has always showed the correct time and date, along with the contact. I've used these settings on my OG droid with many many ROM changes, and when transferring all information to my Bionic. And everything has remained intact.

Just tried it and it didn't work for me. still showing date of import on all messages. I was using SMS Backup + also at first. At any rate, neither has worked.