Transferring Files

Plastikk

Reaction score
I ran into this problem yesterday and finally gave up and moved the file by connecting the 2 phones to my laptop.

I had a mp3 that my friend wanted to use as a ringtone. I figured I could just use Handcent (I also tried the default messenger) and attach the file and send it that way as a MMS. Low and behold..... Not an option. You can attach an audio file but it is predetermined from your listing of ringtones. I tried the FTP app that was in the marketplace and got no love either. Has anyone had any experience with this and how did you solve it? I also tried using Astro but, you get different options with different file types and with .mp3 you get bluetooth or email. I thought it would have been easier than that. I have been able to do this in the past with a MS phone through MMS.

lumpysherman

Reaction score
Have you tried email? Bluetooth? Don't know if they will work but wouldn't hurt to try.

OP
P

Plastikk

Reaction score
Have you tried email? Bluetooth? Don't know if they will work but wouldn't hurt to try.

I did try email but using gmail you can't save the attachment to the phone. We tried for about 10 minutes on getting the bluetooth transfer to work and ended up giving up on that. It kept giving a file doesn't exist error.

Last edited:

ezekiel2000

Reaction score
The Droid is pretty limited on what it will allow to be sent by bluetooth as default. To open up the full possibilities if your friend has a droid as well you can both download the app "BlueTooth File Transfer" from the marketplace (for free) and then you will be able to share and browse files on eachothers phones like they were FTP servers...everything open for sending.

OP
P

Plastikk

Reaction score
The Droid is pretty limited on what it will allow to be sent by bluetooth as default. To open up the full possibilities if your friend has a droid as well you can both download the app "BlueTooth File Transfer" from the marketplace (for free) and then you will be able to share and browse files on eachothers phones like they were FTP servers...everything open for sending.

That program "Bluetooth File Transfer by Medieval Software" is the FTP software that I was referring to in my OP. We attempted to use that program which looks great. When we tried to transfer the file it would error out after the transfer started. I don't remember the error we received on that one. We immediately went to transfer it using the laptop at that point since we wasted some much time on something so small. I just wondered if there was an app or if someone knew of a menu that I don't know of to transfer files.

ezekiel2000

Reaction score
Huh! Well now I'm at a loss on what to tell you. It's always helpful to remember what the error message says though, definitely helps with the troubleshooting.

stevenfstein

Reaction score
If you use the web version of Gmail then you can download and save files.

Regards.... steve