Top Five Features of Droid X

yoyo814

Reaction score
I think the video and picture quality on the X is outstanding. It's definitely not able to replace a standalone device, but the video looks very clear and sharp and the pictures come out great as well. They're not perfect, but they're not garbage, and definitely better than my D1 did. The panoramic feature takes really nice pics too. I'm more than happy with the video/picture taking on this phone!

TheJester34

Reaction score
I think the camera and video on the X are great. Definitely a step up from any other phone I've had. I wouldn't use it for family outings or anything really important, but for shooting clips and whatnot it's worked great so far.

iam8up

Reaction score
This is the phone that making me switch from ATT and iPhone to Verizon.

I switched from AT&T with the Blackberry Bold 9000 for it. Definitely an improvement. At least in my area there is absolutely NO speed comparison between the two companies' 3G. Verizon is to broadband as AT&T is to dial-up.

have you seen the HD video recording? it's awful!

Really? Where is your evidence. I think you're full of it. I think it's amazing and it is not a major concern for me at all.
droid x video video sample - Google Search

Bennybbc

Reaction score
This is the phone that making me switch from ATT and iPhone to Verizon.

I switched from AT&T with the Blackberry Bold 9000 for it. Definitely an improvement. At least in my area there is absolutely NO speed comparison between the two companies' 3G. Verizon is to broadband as AT&T is to dial-up.

have you seen the HD video recording? it's awful!

Really? Where is your evidence. I think you're full of it. I think it's amazing and it is not a major concern for me at all.
droid x video video sample - Google Search

It seems that all internet forums are the same...If someone wants to post something negative about a product they feel the need to greatly exaggerate the negativity to make their point. Come on, "Awful"? Really? I don't yet have the phone, (On backorder) but I've seen a couple of demos in local stores and I don't think a reasonable person would say that anything about the camera is, "Awful". Certainly not when you compare it to other camera phones. There are none that I've ever seen that rival the quality of a decent stand-alone digital camera or camcorder in all categories. My daughter has a digital camera that I paid about $100 for. It's not what most people would consider a great camera, (Obviously) but it works quite well for everyday use. Many of the pics that I saw on the in-store Droid X looked as good as the ones taken on my daughter's camera. And the video looked pretty good too. I've had 3 Nikon cameras in my life so I know what excellent camera quality is. The Droid X won't replace a Nikon but from what I've seen it's quite good for a camera phone. Some people should really try to think about the adjectives they use in reviews before they post them. When they exaggerate like that it really hurts their credibility.

Bruce

jsandersp

Reaction score
Since we're stuck on the camera thing...

...I figured we might as well make it a more positive thread. First of all, no, there is not a camera on anyone's phone that is going to be better than higher end stand alones. The Droid X is a smartphone with a camera, not a camera with a smartphone. I would also say that the camera on the Droid X, IMO, is pretty decent. My outdoor/well lit photos come out pretty crispy. I would not say that about lower light situations (kind of fuzzy and not so crisp) though I haven't spent much time trying to learn how to take better pictures with my DX. But, given that the camera is not the main feature here, photographers should consider buying an actual camera and not rely so heavily on their phones for their art. ;)

Also, there are some appealing looking apps out there that seem to add some quality to your smartphone's photographic capabilities. I have recently enjoyed taking photos with my DX because it DOES take decent pictures. Are they the best? Of course not, but, for a phone it must be up there with the best cameras on a phone! Seriously, how much better is any other phone's camera?! Now, I feel better.

So, anyone have any success with some of those camera enhancing apps out there? If so, which ones do you like? I want to purchase one but I'd like to hear from the Droid community about this.

Jamb

Reaction score
1). I like the camera and the rest of the DX's features are AWESOME! 2).Speed is Super,3).phone sounds great and love the 4)voice to text feature, I'm able to use so many apps including Touchdown for outlook sync emails calendar, 5).Screen size is so much bigger than last 4 phones. Truly for me this is so much more than I expected from a droid phone!dancedroid

Last edited:

[email protected]

Reaction score
My Droid X would not focus properly until I read a forum entry where someone simply cleared the smudges from in front of the lense. Image quality improved substantially.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
...I figured we might as well make it a more positive thread. First of all, no, there is not a camera on anyone's phone that is going to be better than higher end stand alones. The Droid X is a smartphone with a camera, not a camera with a smartphone. I would also say that the camera on the Droid X, IMO, is pretty decent. My outdoor/well lit photos come out pretty crispy. I would not say that about lower light situations (kind of fuzzy and not so crisp) though I haven't spent much time trying to learn how to take better pictures with my DX. But, given that the camera is not the main feature here, photographers should consider buying an actual camera and not rely so heavily on their phones for their art. ;)

Also, there are some appealing looking apps out there that seem to add some quality to your smartphone's photographic capabilities. I have recently enjoyed taking photos with my DX because it DOES take decent pictures. Are they the best? Of course not, but, for a phone it must be up there with the best cameras on a phone! Seriously, how much better is any other phone's camera?! Now, I feel better.

So, anyone have any success with some of those camera enhancing apps out there? If so, which ones do you like? I want to purchase one but I'd like to hear from the Droid community about this.

I use Vignette on my Inc and it does a better job on low light shots and has anti shake ability along with taking a picture by simply touching the screen if you want.
If you ever took pictures on a Dare you would know there are some truly good cameras on phones but few and far between. The lense makes a huge difference on any camera, phone or stand alone
sent from my Incredible via SlideIT on Tapatalk

D

Dragon3463

Don't switch from the Iphone to the X...you will regret it....

Dxun

Reaction score
Are people that are just upset that they got a Droid, But now they want the Droid X and cant have it so they try to discourage others from getting it by downplaying something they haven't even held in their hands...... And wont unless they are holding their friends...... Hahahahahahaha So Quit Hating fools

Simple solution to that problem is looking for a new DroidX on ebay and getting it for $500 like i did. Then sold my Moto Droid on Ebay for $250. DroidX came with HDMI Multimedia station as well. It's not a free upgrade but it certainly beats spending $579 plus tax with no Docking station which is another $50 Bux.

Just did the same thing with my fiances phone and got her the Fascinate for $390. With any luck i'll get the same $250 for her Droid when i post it, and before all said and done it only cost me $140 for the early upgrade.

DroidX takes VERY nice outdoor photos. Crap inside though with poor lighting.

Last edited:

Cornholeo

Reaction score
1)Big, beautiful screen. 2) One fast mofo. 3) Voice navigation and GPS are spot on. 4) App Market 5) Jack of all trades and master of nearly all.

jack902902

Reaction score
The camera may not be of horrible quality, but, when stated as an 8MP, and only producing pictures at 5MP quality, or even lower, compared to other 5MP smartphone cameras, it's a little dissapointing.

I think there are some phone cameras that are on par with the DX, such as the Incredible.
Now when compared to the iP4, which is 5MP, I feel that both video and picture were comparable or Better!

This is all based on ability to capture detail, not the size of the photo. I'd rather capture a more detailed picture in lower resolution, than to have a larger picture with blotched quality.

Maybe it's all a misconception that Mega Pixels or MP mean better quality, when it actually stands for resolution size, or quantity of pixels per square inch.

To build from an enginereed blue print is one thing, but, to capture a dream never imagined is a whole other world.

attached was taken from my LG Voyager's 2MP cam on a low lit rainy day.
another at night with the help of a little light.

Last edited: