To install KitKat or Not??

KevlarBack

Reaction score
I've been hitting "install later" now for 1 week as it asks every 12 hours if I want to update.

From what I have been reading kitkat is not liked as much as the old OS.

Should I? If you could go back would you if you already updated?

droideddie13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 6
The only way you can you back is if you have an unlocked boot loader. But Verizon patched it. I know you could unlock the boot loader if you were on ICS.

Mr.Craig

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Go for it!

I have always run stock, no ROMS or anything here, and really like the way my phone has been behaving more than a week after the KitKat update. I was bummed about losing Swype (easily replaced) but actually installed the Google keyboard instead and it is very smooth (and has a swype-like option anyway). Overall the phone is much smoother. Lots of apps working faster as well. The only thing I dislike is the texting app. They killed inline editing (now I have to delete texts one at a time) and you can not customize the look at all.

I haven't regretted the update one bit.

droideddie13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 6
Go ahead and take the update. Once you take the update unlock your boot loader using this method so that you can downgrade to Jelly Bean if you change your mind. Keep in mind that YOU MUST BE ON KITKAT IN ORDER TO UNLOCK YOUR BOOT LOADER: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2783912] Apparently a partition that has the boot loader unlock vulnerability was "accidentally" used in the KitKat update.

lloydsw

Reaction score
I was not planning on updating with all the wailing & gnashing of teeth going on about the update. But I'm going to plunge in this morning, only & ONLY so I can unlock the bootloader. I missed the boat once, I will not again.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Custom roms will save you from the gripes many have anyway.

Sent from my Eclipsed XT1060

OP
K

KevlarBack

Reaction score
Well I went for it and installed it earlier this week...

and afterwords I got the message "System UID inconsistent........." with an "I'm feeling lucky" button, hit that and that problem has gone away.

Along with the other things mentioned in various threads the most problems I'm having is battery life while connected it wifi is very draining as compared to before KitKat. Also my personal sounds (ring, text notification, voicemail etc) all had to be reinstalled/relinked. "Navigation" has also changed as I don't see any saved address that I've used previously and the way you put in a new address is different.

A new annoying problem is w/ the text notification is now the sound is truncated/shortened and VERY low. I've read various fixes and tried the following, moved the mp3 to internal memory...no change, unchecked the delete messages when max is reached...no change, tried a stock sound...no change only plays for a second or two. Used a ringtone editor to edit and save again...no change the only fix I've read is to delete ALL texts from everyone and start again from scratch with NO texts stored. That is something I or most don't want to do. The default program is "messaging" but you now have the option to use other text programs, the google new one is "hangouts" which I haven't looked into yet.

Anyone found a workaround for this? I'm not into jailbreaking or bootloader, so wanting a normal fix if one is available.

droideddie13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 6
Yes, and now I'm not limited to what works with safestrap.

By the way I got Cyanogenmod working after KitKat update. You have to downgrade back to 98.16.3 assuming you already unlocked on KitKat. Then flash CWM recovery 6.0.4.4 and then flash CM 10 or CM 11. Cyanogenmod 10 is buttery smooth. Cyanogenmod 11 is a little slow from my experience but still functional. I tried to flash CM over stock Kitkat and it failed every time. You must be on stock Jelly bean 98.16.3 in order for CM to work.

droideddie13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 6

and afterwords I got the message "System UID inconsistent........." with an "I'm feeling lucky" button, hit that and that problem has gone away.

Along with the other things mentioned in various threads the most problems I'm having is battery life while connected it wifi is very draining as compared to before KitKat. Also my personal sounds (ring, text notification, voicemail etc) all had to be reinstalled/relinked. "Navigation" has also changed as I don't see any saved address that I've used previously and the way you put in a new address is different.

A new annoying problem is w/ the text notification is now the sound is truncated/shortened and VERY low. I've read various fixes and tried the following, moved the mp3 to internal memory...no change, unchecked the delete messages when max is reached...no change, tried a stock sound...no change only plays for a second or two. Used a ringtone editor to edit and save again...no change the only fix I've read is to delete ALL texts from everyone and start again from scratch with NO texts stored. That is something I or most don't want to do. The default program is "messaging" but you now have the option to use other text programs, the google new one is "hangouts" which I haven't looked into yet.

Anyone found a workaround for this? I'm not into jailbreaking or bootloader, so wanting a normal fix if one is available.

If you want you can unlock your bootloader now in case you want to go back to Jelly Bean. I personally would unlock the bootloader now that its possible with Kitkat. This way if future updates have bugs you can go back to previous versions. This will soon be patched so its up to you. Now as you said you want an easy solution. It is recomended to do a factory data reset after an ota. Now before you wipe your phone make sure to backup everything. I recomend you to use Helium Backup, SMS Backup and Restore, Call Logs Backup and Restore. Also after you are done backup your contacts and pictures, videos, etc. Use a file manger like ES File Explorer. Make sure to backup everything from /storage/emulated/0 to /storage/sdcard1. And contacts just go to your contacts app and export to storage or sim card.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro

droideddie13 has a good point about a Factory Data Reset (FDR). Most experts recommend this after major OS updates, like the update to KitKat you just installed. His suggestions about backing up data are very good also, since a FDR wipes everything on the phone and reverts it back to "factory" like condition. It will not affect your SD card though if you use one, all files on there are safe and will not be deleted...only the phone's internal memory will be deleted. If you have never performed one, it can be time consuming to re-download all of the apps you use from the Play Store and setup all accounts, e-mail, etc. But, that should clear up all the issues you listed, except maybe the WiFi issue. That one seems to be hit & miss...the FDR may or may not help with that. I did a FDR about 3 weeks after KitKat and my battery life is a little better and some of the "quirks" went away. It's time-consuming, but could be very helpful.

lloydsw

Reaction score
it can be time consuming to re-download all of the apps you use from the Play Store

Because my stock rom was dead (fortunately still had use of another slot in safestrap), I had to flash KitKat in a virgin install. Interesting - and I've had this happen with tablets - once I had logged on with my gmail account, the play store store automatically downloaded all my previous user apps. But yes, I did have to setup all non-Google accounts. But since I've not had any of the problems that others have had, I'm glad I had a defacto FDR.