Thunderbolt vs. Droid X reception

Cloud36426

Reaction score
I have ? for anyone who is coming from a Droid X to a Thunderbolt. Has anyone else noticed the reception is worse on the Thunderbolt than the X. At my house the X would have anywhere from -85 dBm to -90 dBm. But with the Thunderbolt it stays at -95 to -100. I really am torn I like the phone way better than the X but where I am at the most I need reliable reception. Does anyone think I have a defective device, poor radio quality, or the antenna design? All input is really appreciated.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

cpjr

Reaction score
-10 difference is not extremely significant (and shouldnt be enough to create issues) and is to be expected between different devices. Sucks that the new phone happens to be less. I had the DX and now Tb and have been experiencing worse reception from both in the last 2-3 months it seems like in my area.

OP
Cloud36426

Cloud36426

Reaction score
I guess maybe what I am breaking out about is when I look at the bars. I have usually 0 to 1 bar on 3g with the TBolt with the X had full bars. I know that it could be programmed different and bars don't mean everything. I also cover dropped to 1x at home on the X either but I do with the TBolt.

cpjr

Reaction score
Well, going from full bars to no bars is a big difference. Kinda hard for me to say, cause I was noticing worse reception from my X before I got rid of it...dont know if it was the phone and/or software or just service. Seem to be getting around the same with my TB, which definitely isnt the best, but far from unusable....and around the same as my X.

OP
Cloud36426

Cloud36426

Reaction score
Here we go these stats are from while I was asleep. See what u all think.
a6f9d876-eae9-15c9.jpg
a6f9d876-eafc-ee83.jpg

Note the time in the first pic and the time without signal on second pic.

Last edited:

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
you have some serious issues with a tower near you. I'd call Verizion ASAP.

OP
Cloud36426

Cloud36426

Reaction score
you have some serious issues with a tower near you. I'd call Verizion ASAP.

Never had the issue with the Droid X though. Plus my wife has an iPhone through Verizon and she keeps 2 to 3 bars of service. I am fixing to call Verizon. Thanks for the replies.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I'm at work with 0 bars and -90dBm signal strength but that's because we have windows that block radio waves and I'm not noticing any degradation of service. Your phone is losing signal 84% of the time. That shouldn't be that high. Maybe your battery cover isn't on all the way or something. If you go into Verizon, remove root. :)

OP
Cloud36426

Cloud36426

Reaction score
I'm at work with 0 bars and -90dBm signal strength but that's because we have windows that block radio waves and I'm not noticing any degradation of service. Your phone is losing signal 84% of the time. That shouldn't be that high. Maybe your battery cover isn't on all the way or something. If you go into Verizon, remove root. :)

Just got off the phone with Verizon and they said sounded like a device issue. The battery cover is on and I even wiped the contacts off. As far as root if I understand right all I have to do is flash stock image file and be back to normal right?

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Yep, that's it. Haven't had to do that yet though.

OP
Cloud36426

Cloud36426

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. Fixing to charge and flash back to stock.

MrKleen

Reaction score
My bars sometimes don't look good but I've had no problems with phone calls.

My problem is that gps does not work properly. And when I leave my 4g zone I lose all data. I never get 3g... Things are starting to not look good for this phone unless I can resolve these issues soon.

OP
Cloud36426

Cloud36426

Reaction score
My bars sometimes don't look good but I've had no problems with phone calls.

My problem is that gps does not work properly. And when I leave my 4g zone I lose all data. I never get 3g... Things are starting to not look good for this phone unless I can resolve these issues soon.

Have you called Verizon? And there is a thread where you can force into 3g you may want to try that when you get out of a 4G area. I would call I just got off the phone with them and they were very helpful. I am exchanging my phone and getting a month of free service.

Last edited:
OP
Cloud36426

Cloud36426

Reaction score
Yep, that's it. Haven't had to do that yet though.

Worked like a charm. Easiest unroot ever. I bootlooped my x last night trying to go back stock. But this was painless.