Thinking Of Rooting my Thunderbolt

Discussion in 'HTC ThunderBolt' started by jared845, Feb 15, 2012.

1. jared845

jared845 Member

Hello, i have a colleague with a TB and has rooted his phone with BAMF7, i love the interface and all it has to offer, just nervous about rooting my phone as i have not done this before and dont want to brick it ! any thoughts?
  2. Javaknight

Javaknight New Member

rooting is super easy and worth it!

I rooted my Thunderbolt using the Revolutionary tool and I flashed the BAMF Forever 1.0.7 ROM on it and it runs great! To be honest even just rooting gives you the ability to disable the bloatware

G
    ood luck!
  3. sonicanatidae

sonicanatidae New Member

I also used the Revolutionary hack and have had zero problems. There is even a way to reverse the Revo changes, so
    if you had to return the phone, S-ON would be restored and the device would be unrooted.

I definitely recommend Revolutionary over the HTC website. While there is no smoking gun stating
    that they are voiding warranties, the chance exists using the HTC method since they can then
    ID your phone. Using the Revo hack, zero information on that travels back to HTC, so as far
    as they are concerned, it's still STOCK.

If you don't like the SENSE overlay, consider an AOSP ROM. Liquid Smooth 3.2 is what
    I use and I love it.

Good Luck!
  4. jared845

jared845 Member

Is it possible to root my phone through the web on the device or must i hook it up through my pc? Im not to good with all this.....and am fearful of bricking the phone !
  5. sonicanatidae

sonicanatidae New Member

The process is very simple, but does require a direct connection (data cable) to a Windows or Linux box.

Head to this site:
    Revolutionary

Before you run the program, read this section:
    public:revolutionary [RootWiki]
    (It's not long and gives you a basic idea of the process and some basic troubleshooting info should things go awry.)

A 3rd party WalkThru for Revolutionary on Thunderbolt
    Gain S-Off On HTC Thunderbolt In One Click With Revolutionary 0.4

Understand that anytime you mod a device you run a risk. To protect your device and your sanity,
    I highly recommend reading whatever you can find on a given process BEFORE running it. The processes
    aren't usually very difficult, you just have to follow the steps exactly and normally things work right.
  6. jared845

jared845 Member

So I am going to root with revolutionary next week with a friend who knows what they are doing, they are going to use the bamf rom,.....which he is using on his TB currently and love.....any thoughts on bamf or any other roms? Is bamf safe for my phone and or is revolutionary safe as well,? thoughts please !
  7. sonicanatidae

sonicanatidae New Member

I've never used a BAMF Rom. The first Rom I flashed was Liquid Smooth 3.2 and I love it. Never needed to flash another.
    Literally thousands and thousands of people have used Revolutionary.io to gain S-OFF/Root and install Roms, so I personally
    felt it reasonably safe. I ran it on mine in Nov/2011 and haven't had a problem.
  8. aqworldthunder

aqworldthunder Darth Droid

Rooting gives you so many options, its like jailbreaking a SP-64 it sucks until you jailbreak/root.

-AqworldThunder ;) ^…^ ¶.¶ *.* Thank me if i helped please!
  9. jared845

jared845 Member

Should I root or wait for ics I'm so confused

BRING ON ICS!!!!!!
  10. syndicate0017

syndicate0017 Well-Known Member

If you wait for ICS, you'll also have to wait for them to find a root exploit. Also, if you plan on waiting, get comfortable. Its probably 6 months out for the TB yet

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  11. pdroid

pdroid New Member

Root now. Have your friend do it if you don't feel confident doing it yourself.
  12. jared845

jared845 Member

When rooting:...... after its done is it easy to switch to diferent roms? Like from BAMF to liquid ice so on& so on ?
    BRING ON ICS!!!!!!
  13. pdroid

pdroid New Member

yes

sent from my bolt
  14. JRParsons

JRParsons Member

I waited until I was just about out of warranty and had an upgrade available, wish I had rooted months ago. I was also not comfortable doing it, but I took it step by step, and other than one harmless mistake, it went really easy. I don't remember who, but someone on here has the links to the steps in his/her signature. They really helped. There are a couple of apps your gonna want to buy, your friend will know which ones.
    I'm running a Sense 3.xx rom, so it kept me from using my upgrade for a Rezound, I feel like I have a new phone.
    Oh yeah, and I'm now getting 16 hours on the Rezound Battery in my thunderbolt. 12 with the stock battery, and I have used the extended battery, but have not been below 50% with it, so I have no idea how long I could stretch it.

After I rooted it, I realized that the sim in it had been retired from nonuse, so I brought it to the Verizon Wireless store (rooted) had them put a new sim in it and activate it. The tech didn't recognize the boot animation, but said nothing about it being rooted. I think I could have said "root" over and over and all he would have thought of was a tree.

Sent from my Illudium PU - 36 Explosive Space Modulator.
  15. jared845

jared845 Member

Excellent info thanks so......I'm not eligable until next year.....also have the extended battery ....so I guess ill get even better battery life......I got a friend who will root it for me since I'm clueless ......from there everythig should be simple after the root.....???? Additionally he will use revolutionary root? What is the difffference with different root methods.....???? Is there a difference? If so what is it ?

BRING ON ICS!!!!!!
  16. JRParsons

JRParsons Member

I used Revolutionary, no issues. This was my first time, I was actually hoping I could find someone to do it for me, but I was using a Stratosphere and the Thunderbolt was just sitting there, so I felt I had nothing to loose.
    Now that I'm rooted, I just gave the Stratosphere to my nephew.
    I just followed directions to the letter, and an hour later I was running a custom rom, and had a phone that had only the apps I wanted, I didn't notice the increased battery life until the next day. (I think that's more a product of the rom then the fact it is rooted.)
    I love to mess with technology, but have no idea how it works, like Joe Rogan says (paraphrase) If you strand me in the woods with just an ax, you will never get an email from me.

17. jared845

jared845 Member

What do you mean " After I rooted it, I realized that the sim in it had been retired from nonuse, ".

Please clarify as I want to avoid this issue !

Thanks youve been very helpful!
  18. JRParsons

JRParsons Member

The rooting had nothing to do with it, I had been using a Stratosphere (different phone), the Thunderbolt hadn't been active on any line for a couple of months when I rooted it.

I had been told by Verizon that if I wanted to use the Thunderbolt I could just take the sim out of the Stratosphere and put it in the Thunderbolt, but I realized after I rooted the thunderbolt, that the sim in the Stratosphere was a mini or micro sim and the Thunderbolt"s is full size, so I called Verizon and they said they could not activate the thunderbolt because the sim hadn't been used for x amount of time.
    So I ran to the Verizon store with a rooted Thunderbolt and told them I needed a sim and my thunderbolt activated. The tech just did what I asked, except I could tell he thought it was weird when the boot animation was not the lighting bolt and thunder clap.

19. Natey2

Natey2 Active Member

How about sticking with the good old stock ROM?
    Advantages:
    Largest user base, and by a very large margin.
    No work needed to install it.
    Automatic OTA updates by Verizon, even while you sleep.
    Full technical support crew at Verizon store or via website; no need to hide your phone from them or play games like SBF before bringing your phone to them.
    Most app developers test their apps against this ROM.
    If something is really wrong with this ROM, very many people will complain.
    Camera, video, HDMI output, Netflix, etc. all work fine.
    There definitely are much worse ROMs out there that can cause excessive battery drain, cripple hardware features, cause certain apps to fail, etc.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk
  20. JRParsons

JRParsons Member

Nothing against the stock rom, it works, but at the moment my phone's been unplugged for 15+ hours and I have 69% left (extended battery - modorate use), this is exceptional on a 4g device. The Thunderbolt runs Sense 2.xx, 3.xx is much better (especially the cool lock screen). I could run out and buy a new Rezound, which would have all of these features (minus the battery life), but now I get to have a "new" phone any time I want to flash a new rom, without using an upgrade or shelling out $$.
    Also, I purchased my Tbolt on release day, so I had very little warranty left, and I am sitting on an upgrade (I have multiple lines on the account), so like I stated in an earlier post, I felt I had nothing to loose.

I'm not sure what Thunderbolt's are going for on ebay/craigslist but I think that the risk is minimal, even if your Tbolt is new. Now if I was rooting a new Razor Maxx and didn't have an upgrade at my disposal, obviously the risk would be greater.

Lastly, so many Thunderbolts have been rooted without issue, that the chances of creating a "brick" are slim. There is huge developer support for the tbolt.

Just from experience, I really wish I had done this sooner, took an hour and made me really like a phone I had retired to my desk drawer. If you already like your phone, I suggest leaving it alone, but we're talking about the Thunderbolt here, not a well received device. It took HTC almost a year to get it working at almost 100%. (I still have bluetooth connectivity issues with Ford Sync - tried 2 different Tbolts - both rooted and stock, and about 100yds after I leave my driveway, my truck says "phone disconnected", when I reconnect it stays connected. I think it has something to do with the switch from Wifi to 3g/4g)

Done rambling. sorry
Search tags for this page
hot to jailbreak an htc thunder bot
how to jailbreak a thunderbolt
how to root my thunderbolt

htc thunderbolt jailbreak

htc thunderbolt safe rooting
jail break thunder bolt

jailbreak thunderbolt

jailbreaking a thunderbolt
revolutionary jailbreak for htc thunderbolt
root my htc thunderbolt