Thinking about buying a D2G

JBURGS47

Reaction score
Hello all, excuse me for being a noob, but I'm thinking about buying the Droid 2 Global. I will use it here in the USA for 2 months, and then from March-July, I will be studying abroad in Germany. Can I just suspend my Verizon contract and go to Vodaphone or T-Mobile in Germany and get a prepaid SIM? Is it really that simple? Do I have to unlock the phone?

Thanks for your help.

John

zero7404

Reaction score
ive posted a topic here with regard to sim unlock on this phone that is a problem you should be aware about before you buy it. see link below ... it seems that ppl either dont care or are using verizon's sim services overseas. i like to use my own prepaid sim when travelling in europe and unlock codes given to me by verizon have not worked.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=867912&page=3

otherwise, technically, this phone is very capable.

sent via wireless device

zero7404

Reaction score
the issue i mentioned seems to be more related to verizon's tactics and programming of global phones they sell in general, but when i read an unlocking services' comments regarding this phone and failure of unlocking sim use on it ... some phones are made such that they are permanently locked: that concerns me a great deal.

in the past verizon has offered other global phones such as the bb storm, but didnt encounter any issues with sim unlock on that device. i think part of the issue may be from restricting use with tmob or at&t here in the US .... but anyone's guess at this point.

if i were you i would try to have the device unlocked at point of purchase or within a few days after purchase. there was a recent update released by verizon but i havent yet installed to see if it corrects this issue. the update addresses some gsm functionality.

sent via wireless device

zero7404

Reaction score
not sure if you abandoned this thread or are reading this ... in my case it turns out i had a problem with the phone. i swapped verizon sim cards at the store, it still gave the same error. so at the point of exchange, i had them do the sim unlock on the new phone while on the phone with the global support folks ... finally worked.

OP
J

JBURGS47

Reaction score
No, I'm following the thread. So if you had a hardware issue, I'm basically at the mercy of getting a good phone or not?

Also, since I'm going to be getting my SIM in Germany presumably the day I arrive, I won't be able to find out if my phone is good until then?

zero7404

Reaction score
likely yes.

i recommend you bum a foreign sim from a friend or try to grab one online ... r u a verizon customer or will u buy the fone retail?

if you r then u have 30 days to return for new. past 30 days u have to settle for refurb.

sent via wireless device