Thinking about buying a D2G

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 2 Global' started by JBURGS47, Dec 19, 2010.

1. JBURGS47

JBURGS47 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all, excuse me for being a noob, but I'm thinking about buying the Droid 2 Global. I will use it here in the USA for 2 months, and then from March-July, I will be studying abroad in Germany. Can I just suspend my Verizon contract and go to Vodaphone or T-Mobile in Germany and get a prepaid SIM? Is it really that simple? Do I have to unlock the phone?

Thanks for your help.

John

2. zero7404

zero7404 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ive posted a topic here with regard to sim unlock on this phone that is a problem you should be aware about before you buy it. see link below ... it seems that ppl either dont care or are using verizon's sim services overseas. i like to use my own prepaid sim when travelling in europe and unlock codes given to me by verizon have not worked.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=867912&page=3

otherwise, technically, this phone is very capable.

sent via wireless device

3. zero7404

zero7404 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    the issue i mentioned seems to be more related to verizon's tactics and programming of global phones they sell in general, but when i read an unlocking services' comments regarding this phone and failure of unlocking sim use on it ... some phones are made such that they are permanently locked: that concerns me a great deal.

in the past verizon has offered other global phones such as the bb storm, but didnt encounter any issues with sim unlock on that device. i think part of the issue may be from restricting use with tmob or at&t here in the US .... but anyone's guess at this point.

if i were you i would try to have the device unlocked at point of purchase or within a few days after purchase. there was a recent update released by verizon but i havent yet installed to see if it corrects this issue. the update addresses some gsm functionality.

sent via wireless device

4. zero7404

zero7404 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    not sure if you abandoned this thread or are reading this ... in my case it turns out i had a problem with the phone. i swapped verizon sim cards at the store, it still gave the same error. so at the point of exchange, i had them do the sim unlock on the new phone while on the phone with the global support folks ... finally worked.

5. JBURGS47

JBURGS47 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No, I'm following the thread. So if you had a hardware issue, I'm basically at the mercy of getting a good phone or not?

Also, since I'm going to be getting my SIM in Germany presumably the day I arrive, I won't be able to find out if my phone is good until then?

6. zero7404

zero7404 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    likely yes.

i recommend you bum a foreign sim from a friend or try to grab one online ... r u a verizon customer or will u buy the fone retail?

if you r then u have 30 days to return for new. past 30 days u have to settle for refurb.

sent via wireless device