Droid 2 Global Questions?

Sovereignty

Reaction score
I am looking at getting the Droid 2 Global w/ Verizon, and probably will consider unlocking it.

The question I have however is after I get my phone, when I go to travel to Europe in areas where Vodaphone (Verizon EU), is available, would I have to open the phone and switch the sim card from a Verizon to a Vodaphone? Would a prepaid sim card work? If not, how would I go about calling people when I get there.

bgrade

Reaction score
the phone comes with a vodaphone/verizon sim pre installed. However people say it might be cheaper to just buy a local sim and plan that comes with a data package as verizon seems to have discontinued their unlimited data roaming service for outside the US.

sid_wisc

Reaction score
The phone will not come unlocked for other SIMs you will have to get it unlocked at a later time...
Once you have the phone you will have to call the verizon global customer service to get the unlock code which they should give you after you have some xx days (I believe 60 days) of service from them. That unlock code will allow you to use any SIM on the phone, I believe it will only allow non US SIMs ie ATT and T-Mobile might not work.
Once you get the phone and are going to travel get in touch with people on the forum and then we can go through the details again and in elaborate. Hope that answers your question if not feel free to write back.

OP
S

Sovereignty

Reaction score
the phone comes with a vodaphone/verizon sim pre installed. However people say it might be cheaper to just buy a local sim and plan that comes with a data package as verizon seems to have discontinued their unlimited data roaming service for outside the US.

Thats what I am thinking, I hear that you can add international service to your phone, but thats not a good option because I will be making long distance calls to people who are located in the same city.

The phone will not come unlocked for other SIMs you will have to get it unlocked at a later time...
Once you have the phone you will have to call the verizon global customer service to get the unlock code which they should give you after you have some xx days (I believe 60 days) of service from them. That unlock code will allow you to use any SIM on the phone, I believe it will only allow non US SIMs ie ATT and T-Mobile might not work.
Once you get the phone and are going to travel get in touch with people on the forum and then we can go through the details again and in elaborate. Hope that answers your question if not feel free to write back.

So if I get the phone, unlock using the tutorial posted here, replace the sim card with one of the various UK providers (such as T-Mobile in UK). I will be fine? I will have a T-Mobile phone number until I replace my sim card back to Verizon?

I just want to make sure I am understanding this correctly. This will ultimately determine if I get the Droid 2 Global or a different phone entirely, since I will have to purchase a prepaid phone when I am there anyway.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Yes, the overseas provider will give you a phone number 'attached' to their sim card.

Honestly it is the cheapest method for traveling.

OP
S

Sovereignty

Reaction score
Yes, the overseas provider will give you a phone number 'attached' to their sim card.

Honestly it is the cheapest method for traveling.

I am perfectly fine with that, I would like to have a internet data plan, but its not required, I can probably use Wifi for the most part anyway.

I just dont want to carry two phones around one a prepaid, one the D2G. So it looks like I can replace the SIM, and I will just have one phone. Whew!