Things Grow Bleaker for HTC; Earnings Nosedive 79% in Q3 of 2012

DrGalaxy

Reaction score
btw its not verizons fault for not updating them its the companies when i worked for verizon they dont hit a button to send update...... the manufacturer sends its out via the network by user.... i blame poor management with pumping as many phones out with similar specs out its capitalism if you fail to dominate all the time your company will fail

really they need to do something about sense laggin up and the bloatware with all their phones and headphones shouldnt sell the phone they need to do something no one else is doing(saying this as my broken tb and eris lay next to my 2 galaxy nex)

Dorian

Reaction score
Sense 4.0 is great actually. I think that it appeals to a lot of people. I don't like the "pure Google" look. I think that having a base Google UI makes even the iPhone look relevant again. It's crude in a lot of ways, even on Jelly Bean. Sense adds polish, and it does have some really nice widgets built in that I find useful.

I run custom ROM's on my devices and on the phone I usually stay with a Sense based one. It's clean, pretty and useful IMHO.

And in the end, that's what it boils down to... what your opinion of good UI design is. Good UI is simple, clean and unobtrusive. I can't say any of that about Sense. It's in your face, gaudy and completely obtrusive.

IMHO, Sense is an abomination, just like Moto's skins (and yes, I mean the newer stuff also). BUT, that remains MY opinion, and everyone has their own.

And Sense has not kept up with the others. It's slow, laggy, an dorky looking now. Samsung and Moto have breezed past HTC with their UI improvements and innovations.

I'll admit, Moto's skin is nicer than Sense... but I still stand by my opinion that TouchWiz is the best skin. Even though skins are horrible anyway. :/

Kenyon1

Reaction score
Byakushiki said:
Problem is, for many people, Beats Audio is actually a turn-off as some people value true-to-recording quality without an unnecessary bass boost. Besides that...It is somewhat surprising that this happened.

Breakfast beats worrying.

Ya for most people it's a turn off, but being a college kid Beats Audio is the cool thing to have. It is apart of being a hipster nowadays.

Dorian

Reaction score
Ya for most people it's a turn off, but being a college kid Beats Audio is the cool thing to have. It is apart of being a hipster nowadays.

ATM-M50's. That's where it's at.

-College Student

But yea, I do see a LOT more Beats headsets than I would like to see on campus.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I love some of the reasons you guys think HTC is failing because of. Not being able to use 3rd party tether apps? Yea, I don't think so.
Enthusiasts always think it's those little niche items that kill a brand. Heard the same thing about Saab when it was failing. "They would have been saved if they made an AWD car earlier.". Yea, not.
It's not Sense. Which I still love BTW.
It's not tiny batteries, or BEATS audio.
Someone on the first page nailed it. The guy who said "tiny battery in his point 2" was correct on his point 1...
One simple thing. The same thing that made Apple great, and is making Sammy great, is killing HTC.
M A R K E T I N G.

The brilliant decision to bring your flagship to just ONE carrier initially. Then expand it to a bit player carrier and ignore VZW.
Then to make commercials with a guy parachuting out of a plane and making this your killer feature:
"You can take a picture WHILE YOU ARE SHOOTING VIDEO!!!! Cool huh?"
NO HTC! Do you do ANY research? WHo was the LONE uber nerd clamoring for that feature????
Anybody EVER shooting a video and thought to yourself: damn I wish I could take a still picture right now.

They came out with the Rezound and advertised what a killer music player it was and??? They sold a bunch!
Totally dropped the ball with the marketing "angle" on the ONE and the ONE X, AND the Droid Incredible 4g LTE. Anyone seen that thing advertised AT ALL? Anybody besides us enthusiast even KNOW that phone came out???

It's saying something when HTC can lose a HUGE fan... like me.

Back to Moto or Samsung for me come April. Still waiting on that August release date for ICS on my Dinc2....

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
btw its not verizons fault for not updating them its the companies when i worked for verizon they dont hit a button to send update...... the manufacturer sends its out via the network by user.... i blame poor management with pumping as many phones out with similar specs out its capitalism if you fail to dominate all the time your company will fail

Except that every update must be approved and signed by Verizon...now I don't know whether Verizon is holding updates for "testing" or HTC is slacking, but I doubt that Verizon is clean of everything and is not withholding the update. Its already pretty much assumed the reason the Bionic still doesn't have ICS officially is because of Verizon. Wouldn't doubt HTC being affected as well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Dorian

Reaction score
One simple thing. The same thing that made Apple great, and is making Sammy great, is killing HTC.
M A R K E T I N G.

Except marketing had nothing to do with them debuting their flagship One X on only one carrier in the US. It's that type of model fragmentation (and I hate to use that word) that is killing several brands. When you've got 4 very different handsets where you should only have one...

Samsung finally understood. You see the same Galaxy S III whether you're on Sprint, AT&T, Verizon or T-Mobile or even the International version. It just has a carrier branding on the battery cover. That's it. The software can be updated much quicker because there are no customizations, they're creating a true high-end branding and they've got a VERY easily recognizable product. This was something I was really hoping HTC had learned, but I guess not.

Marketing may be doing some real damage, but what I said above is, I believe, what's killing them.

nikecar

Reaction score
Another thing that hurt them is not being able to use 3rd party wifi hotspot apps such as foxfi unless you used USB Tether.
false. I have FoxFi and I can use it to connect with my tablet. However, technically, wifi won't work, but Blutooth does work.

Problem is, for many people, Beats Audio is actually a turn-off as some people value true-to-recording quality without an unnecessary bass boost. Besides that...It is somewhat surprising that this happened.

Breakfast beats worrying.
It was for me when the Rezound initially came out. I laughed at "Beats" word up!... then I researched months later due to a warranty claim on my other phone, and got the Rezound for free. Free trumps Beats though.

And in the end, that's what it boils down to... what your opinion of good UI design is. Good UI is simple, clean and unobtrusive. I can't say any of that about Sense. It's in your face, gaudy and completely obtrusive.

IMHO, Sense is an abomination, just like Moto's skins (and yes, I mean the newer stuff also). BUT, that remains MY opinion, and everyone has their own.

I'll admit, Moto's skin is nicer than Sense... but I still stand by my opinion that TouchWiz is the best skin. Even though skins are horrible anyway. :/
I agree that skins are horrible, but I dislike Samsungs the most. with Moto a close 2nd.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Except marketing had nothing to do with them debuting their flagship One X on only one carrier in the US.

I still consider that MARKETING, though. They chose to bring a phone to a limited market by only going with one carrier. They made a conscious decision to market that phone ONLY on the ATT network. And later T-Moby.
So I think we are saying the same thing. Marketing doesn't ONLY mean making commercials. It is how you bring your product to market, as well.
Otherwise I think we are in total agreement.
As I said: big HTC fan. Saw the specs for the ONE X and got all excited.
"Sweet! My next ph----- ATT only?!?!?!?! F!!!!!!!!!!"

Also agree not a fan of Sammy's UI at all. Liked the original Moto, but not the next few versions, like the Bionic.
Do like the RAZR M UI, so may go back to them.

Dorian

Reaction score
I still consider that MARKETING, though. They chose to bring a phone to a limited market by only going with one carrier. They made a conscious decision to market that phone ONLY on the ATT network. And later T-Moby.
So I think we are saying the same thing. Marketing doesn't ONLY mean making commercials. It is how you bring your product to market, as well.

Also agree not a fan of Sammy's UI at all. Liked the original Moto, but not the next few versions, like the Bionic.

I worked for AT&T as a RAN engineer for several years... it's not marketing. AT&T accepted the One X as is, like they accepted the Galaxy S II 4G (only changing the hardware home button for capacitive buttons). I see this as a matter of HTC not having enough sway to push the carriers to do what they want. What they should have done, and what they need to do in the future, is say take it or leave it... This is how we initially designed this phone and if you don't want to offer it to your customers as is, that's not our problem. Software is customizable to an extent, but hardware customization is a NO.

If HTC can get that aspect of their business under control, I think it will be to their benefit. Extreme benefit, matter of fact.

EDIT: This is exactly what Sony (ericsson) is doing. And they're actually doing just fine. Growing slowly, but releasing very nice hardware and software... even working hand in hand with the development community.

jseah

Reaction score

Same here. When I first heard about the One X, I thought it might win out over getting the Galaxy SIII....until I found out it would only be on AT&T. And it is still an exclusive to AT&T. T-Mobile got the One S, which is essentially a dumbed down, smaller version of the One X. From what I understand, the Droid Incredible LTE available on Verizon, is essentially the One S, except that it has a NFC chip and a removable battery.