Theory about the Droid X bootloader

VideoGameMatt

Reaction score
I'm surprised i haven't seen any website or anyone mentioning this about the original droid. I guess i have a good memory? I remember when the droid was first announced Verizon and Motorola both had to sign a contract with Google that they would NOT touch anything on the droid to change it from the stock android experience. This was so that it would be a true google experience phone. If you think about it why else would the Droid be so easily hacked when its fraternal twin brother the milestone is so locked down that the bootloader still hasn't been hacked. Motorola even said in a statement that the Droid having an unlocked bootloader was a rare exception. So this makes me wonder why does the Droid X get that "With Google" logo on the back when it truly isn't as open as Google wants.

neubanks89

Reaction score
It gets the with Google logo because it meets Google's standards for an android device and has gapps and the market. That doesn't have anything to do with the openness of the device.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised i haven't seen any website or anyone mentioning this about the original droid. I guess i have a good memory? I remember when the droid was first announced Verizon and Motorola both had to sign a contract with Google that they would NOT touch anything on the droid to change it from the stock android experience. This was so that it would be a true google experience phone. If you think about it why else would the Droid be so easily hacked when its fraternal twin brother the milestone is so locked down that the bootloader still hasn't been hacked. Motorola even said in a statement that the Droid having an unlocked bootloader was a rare exception. So this makes me wonder why does the Droid X get that "With Google" logo on the back when it truly isn't as open as Google wants.

The "stock Android experience" does not include the capability to modify the o/s with custom roms.

Reaction score

"Locked Bootloader" *Snicker* If you can get to it, itll be hacked.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Really? Where are the custom roms for the Milestone?

Darkseider

Reaction score

The bootloader is not only encrypted but has an eFuse as well. In English. You try and load an unsigned ROM and the eFuse will trip and INTENTIONALLY brick the phone. Brick as in won't do crap and bring to VZW/Motorola. Brick as in paper weight.

Anticitizen

Reaction score
The only way we're going to get past the bootloader is if someone within Motorola leaks something, I expect. One can hope...

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Really? Where are the custom roms for the Milestone?

Good point jsh

Reaction score